Windows annoyances

Andavari

My biggest gripe is when you click on the more info link in an Events Viewer error message the Help and Support page says we cuurently have no information regarding this error or something to that effect. I figure this really means:

We forgot we created both the problem and the error message.

We're lying.

We don't like you and we don't have to.

That's for us to know and you to find out (which you never will).

This error message refers to a problem that is really, really bad so we don't people knowing what it is.

(bad Jack Nicholson impersonation) The error? You can't handle the error!

We're ignoring you. Go away.

:lol: All of the above!

You know, Mike, you really ought to consider writing an OS yourself. Even if it did f*** up all the time, nobody would be able to complain about it, because they would be too preoccupied with dying from heart attacks caused by fits of fierce chortling and guffawing due to reading your error descriptions.

And I hope you haven't forgotten that you owe me an animated gif! Snap to it, lest I smite you with numerous italicized ASCII characters!!

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I suggest all of you who's annoyances are software, i suggest you get nlite, some of the more well known items i have removed include outlook, MSN Explorer, Windows Media Player, Windows Media Player 6.4, Help, Tour, Command-Line tools, Movie Maker, Luna Theme, Windows Sounds and every single non English language and keyboard layout.

I have attached my current nlite config file which is a full list of everything i choose to remove via nlite. While you have to copy the contents of your xp disc to you machine, choose what you want to remove with nlite. Then let if create a iso of which you burn, then reinstall windows it is definitely worth it. I am forever ticking a few more things for removal.

Its just such a shame to have all this stuff. Ideally, I would like to properly get rid of these programs:

Outlook

MovieMaker

Windows Messenger

And all these empty folders:

microsoft frontpage

msn gaming zone

xerox

Any help?

Oh, and with nlite, can you just use it as an uninstaller, just select the programs you don't want, and it uninstalls them for you?

Oh, and with nlite, can you just use it as an uninstaller, just select the programs you don't want, and it uninstalls them for you?

No, you have to copy the contents of a xp disc to your computer you then within nlite select what you want to remove it then recompiles the iso of which you burn, then just reinstall windows. If you are going to give it a go i suggest you also get vmware player so you can make sure that the basics work in your customized xp i.e. it boots.

Yep i have been using that package for as long i have been using nlite, i tend to create a new nlite disc every few months and use that package to incorporate windows hot-fixes. I cant remember the last time i download a hot-fix from microsoft/auto-update it bust be over a year at least now.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why, but every computer I have owned has that zerox file. If you delete it, it will clone. It is built into windows for some reason. Probably copywrite issues in the dim past.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

I'm not sure if this is off topic or not. But this stupid NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager. I can't remove it. I broke it so that it wasn't annoying me anymore, but now I'm annoyed because I can't remove it. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Try Unlocker to delete it.

That's how I intentionally broke it, but it still is in my control panel. Now it just doesn't work, which is better...but somehow it still exists. grrr

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Run RegSeeker and search for a .cpl file that's related to it, maybe you'll find one maybe you won't, if you find it just rename such as "broken.cpl" to "broken-.cpl". You could then do a registry search for it using RegSeeker.

Run RegSeeker and search for a .cpl file that's related to it, maybe you'll find one maybe you won't, if you find it just rename such as "broken.cpl" to "broken-.cpl". You could then do a registry search for it using RegSeeker.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but the only leftover pieces that I can find are the dll's. Should I go for it? :D

• Moderators

Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but the only leftover pieces that I can find are the dll's. Should I go for it? :D

Perhaps, and maybe not. However if it isn't installed properly I see no point in keeping the .dll's so long as another app isn't using them, remember to unregister those .dll's first and then run a few registry cleaners.