Windows 10 available on July 29th

hazelnut

• Moderators

for those looking to remove $windows~BT and windows.old folders after the Win10 install, I was using Unlocker and it takes in the vicinity of 3-4 hours.

using Windows Disk Clean-Up takes less than 5 minutes.

(of course make sure there is nothing in windows.old of importance!)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

And StartIsBack has come out with a Win10 compatible version.

(which has already had a minor version release)

Looks like they think a lot of people will still be needing the services of 3rd party Start programs. :)

How MS would handle the product key when one migrates from e.g. Win 7 to Win 10 was not quite clear for me and one of the reasons why I hesitate to try Win 10. But one article (on a dutch website) made it clear what's going to happen.

One is recommended to upgrade from e.g. Win 7 to Win 10 first because then Win 10 will "convert" the Win 7 product key to a Win 10 product key ??? After that one can do a clean Win 10 install with the same (new ????) product key ??? That also assumes that a new product key is issued/generated for Win 10 without charge (if one installs Win 10 before july 29 2016) ???

Can anyone confirm this ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

From tenforums /

Can I reinstall Free Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?If you are upgrading to the free Windows 10 using the steps below, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.You do not get a product key with the free upgrade of Windows 10.The activation for the free offer of Windows 10 is registered on the Microsoft activation servers, and is referenced by the hardware (motherboard/CPU/graphics card) of the PC it was upgraded on
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2267-windows-10-upgrade-installation.html

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I hope this may be of some help to those who are not quite sure when it comes to a "clean" install of Windows 10. 

Make a coffee or a cup of tea (my preference) then sit back and digest the following.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

So I indeed have performed the following with excellent results

Test bed PC: Upgrade my 5 year old Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz box with only 4GB of DDR2 dual channel RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT440 graphics card, Samsung SSD 840 Evo 120GB System & Apps drive. 2 additional SATA 500GB drives for data (movies, TV shows, Pics & Music).

Project: upgrade windows 7 32 bit OS to windows 10 64 bit OS (the above article explains all) 

Briefly: I first did a Macrium Reflect Full backup, downloaded the Media creation tool, created a boot-able DVD (my old PC won't boot from a USB flash drive), installed Windows 10 32 bit, choose the upgrade path, completed the install, logged on using the same user name and password for the previously upgraded windows 7. Checked to see that the Microsoft activation had been completed, yes it had because I was connected to the internet during the total process.

Now comes the "leap of faith" well it was for me however I at least I had my Macrium Reflect in my corner.

Insert the windows 10 64 Bit boot-able DVD, (following the above article) saying SKIP to the "enter the product key to activate windows", then at "set up" selected "Custom: install windows only (advanced) Then proceed with the installation (follow the bouncing ball as they say).

You’ll be asked for the product key after the process is finished. Just click “Do this later” to skip this part and continue the setup process. After you log into your new, clean-installed Windows 10 system, it should automatically activate itself after you connect to the Internet.

If you took advantage of the free upgrade offer, it does this by checking your computer’s hardware and then checking in with Microsoft, verifying that your hardware configuration is authorized to use Windows 10. 

Now you can proceed to "play" with windows 10 64 bit clean install, commence re-installing all your favourite software. In my case having a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card and the "bust up" between NVIDIA and MS just prior to the 29th July, I followed the advice and downloaded the correct latest NVIDIA driver 353.62 (MS & Speccy lists it as 10.18.13.5362).

Good luck and I have now performed the above on three separate similar 4 to 5 year old PC's. Mine seems to run fine with 4 GB of RAM but I'll probably look to find some old DDR2 second hand from somewhere and bump the box to 8GB which I'm sure I should see some benefit............enjoy folks, hope I've thrown some light on the subject.    

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

good new Tas.

I can also concur the process was painless on all 11 PC's I have done it to this week.

They were a myriad of laptops and desktops, Win7's and Win8's, Home's and Pro's.

Activation was a breeze.

All of them had the default display drivers until Windows Updates got it sh!t together.

Two of the laptops now have no compatible Win10 wireless drivers despite them working on Win7, so strange but no biggie.

My wife's was number 10 and the only cockup was it screwed her Outlook 2010.  Downgrading to 2007 or upgrading to 2013 couldn't fix it.

It could send test messages but not actually send a proper email.  Tried fresh Office installs, new email profiles, ended up 'sfc /scannow' fixed it after hours of Google research!

My only very small gripe with Win10 now is, I have 3 toolbars I've added to the taskbar.  Every time I click on one of those icons, Win10 updates the Date Modified field, so it causes my backup process to think the file has changed, when it hasn't.

The new Start Menu is average and the sort of phasing out of Control Panel in-lieu of Settings doesn't quiet feel right.

Otherwise, I'm loving Win10, everything looks more refined, they've used some new, crisper font or something.

Thanks for the info, Tas.  May I ask how long did the macrium full backup take, and is it Macrium free or paid?  

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

login123 a couple of points. Reflect backup prior to the 32 bit win 10 upgrade was 10.9GB. This took about 12 minutes.

I then upgraded the win 7 32 bit to win 10 32 bit. I then did a reflect backup which took longer as drive C now included "windows old" directory. This backup was 19 GB in size and took approx. 17 minutes.

Then the "clean" win 10 64 bit install was done........completed then after installing my software including Macrium Reflect 64 bit, the new backup was 10.1GB in size, this only took 3.49 minutes, read @ 1.1 Gb/s - Write @ 1.0 Gb/s ( Iwrote this one down just in case someone asked lol)

In all cases I was using the latest free version Ver. 6.xx 32 bit for win 7 (now no longer) / 64 bit for win 8.1 and win 10.

As a matter of interest I did the win 7 32 bit upgrade to win 10 32 bit twice as I wanted to make sure that the restore worked as it was supposed to.........which it did. Hope this assists.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Thank you, Tas.  Very informative, very encouraging to know that.  

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Check to see if you qualify for Windows DVD player for free. I have it on my Win 10 machine as I had Media Centre on Win 8

If you’re upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium or Windows 8.1 with Media Center, then you will get Windows DVD Player for free. You don’t have to do anything, it will be installed as an automatic Windows Update.

http://betanews.com/2015/08/05/microsoft-releases-windows-dvd-player-for-windows-10-free-for-some-but-not-for-others/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Check to see if you qualify for Windows DVD player for free. I have it on my Win 10 machine as I had Media Centre on Win 8

If you’re upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate, Professional, Home Premium or Windows 8.1 with Media Center, then you will get Windows DVD Player for free. You don’t have to do anything, it will be installed as an automatic Windows Update.

http://betanews.com/2015/08/05/microsoft-releases-windows-dvd-player-for-windows-10-free-for-some-but-not-for-others/

I mentioned this in Post 130 109 ;) (just getting you back :P )

(Edited to change incorrect 130 to 109)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

First cumulative update released.. it's quite big

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-has-released-the-first-cumulative-update-for-windows-10

I had a little issue rebooting after it (black screen for a while) but all seems okay now.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

How to temporarily hide a problematic driver or Windows update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

that's what Tas was highlighting in post 125 isn't it?

• Moderators

It is I know, but this time I posted it again as a reminder as so many people are actually doing the upgrade now.

(My Win 7 machine prompts me often now but I'll be leaving that one on 7 I think)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

I think Win7 is the best OS so far. If i see the bulk of comments on tech sites saying Win10 can match 7 & do better I'll give it a try, but not till then. I don't give a rats ass about Cortana or syncing or apps or other officey nerdy features.

• Moderators

This is just my opinion Corona, but Win 10 seems better than 7 to me.

The only reason I'm keeping 7 on another laptop is for some beta testing I do. I have to be able to test it on as many OS's as possible.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com