Do I need to Re install $hf_mig$

stint

I followed earlier suggestions, and allowed CCleaner to remove Hotfix uninstallers

The folder $hf_mig$ no longer shows up when I search

If (as noted in posts below) I need to re-install this, please advise how/where to download

Thx for all help

I followed earlier suggestions, and allowed CCleaner to remove Hotfix uninstallers

The folder $hf_mig$ no longer shows up when I search

If (as noted in posts below) I need to re-install this, please advise how/where to download

Thx for all help

The folder will recreate itself the next time you install a hotfix.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

You only need the Hotfix uninstallers if you want to remove a hotfix.

But you do not want to remove a hotfix, because if you do your computer will no longer contain the fix which you downloaded from Windows Update so it could patch your computer against bugs and perhaps security vulnerabilities.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Mr E

Thx for reply

As noted in the thread above in Discussions Forum, the problem is a bit more involved

Sorry I did not my post question there

I was able to restore folder $hf_mig$

It contains 689 files, and 174mb

IMHO, not a good idea to allow CCleaner to uninstall that folder

Mr E

Thx for reply

As noted in the thread above in Discussions Forum, the problem is a bit more involved

Sorry I did not my post question there

I was able to restore folder $hf_mig$

It contains 689 files, and 174mb

IMHO, not a good idea to allow CCleaner to uninstall that folder

MrG has agreed that the $hf_mg$ folder should not be removed, but the problem won't be fixed until the next version is released. For now, do not check the "hotfix uninstaller" box.

You only need the Hotfix uninstallers if you want to remove a hotfix.

But you do not want to remove a hotfix, because if you do your computer will no longer contain the fix which you downloaded from Windows Update so it could patch your computer against bugs and perhaps security vulnerabilities.

Hey E,

The $hf_mig$ folder doesn't contain "hotfix uninstallers". That is the bug in the "hotfix uninstallers" option - it is removing that folder and it shouldn't. :( We need to start telling people to not check that option. Read this CCleaner thread.

Read Me

:)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

MrG has agreed that the $hf_mg$ folder should not be removed, but the problem won't be fixed until the next version is released. For now, do not check the "hotfix uninstaller" box.

Yeah MrG stated that a some code was changed, and I sure hope it isn't a month or two down the road, it's enough of a problem that a minor bugfix release should be uploaded pronto so that it doesn't keep causing problems.

Yeah MrG stated that a some code was changed, and I sure hope it isn't a month or two down the road, it's enough of a problem that a minor bugfix release should be uploaded pronto so that it doesn't keep causing problems.

I hope that it doesn't take that long either, but it isn't fixed as of now. I reinstalled today...same problem. :(

I hope that it doesn't take that long either, but it isn't fixed as of now. I reinstalled today...same problem. :(

I totally agree with K and Andavari, this really should be fixed pronto. MrG stated that he has already adjusted the code to fix it, so why not release it now?

Also K, if you download a WinUpdate, that will recreate the folder and basically fix all of your problems? Just wanted to verify, cause I haven't gotten any updates since I removed my Hotfix uninstallers, so I wanted to make sure that this is easily reversible.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I totally agree with K and Andavari, this really should be fixed pronto. MrG stated that he has already adjusted the code to fix it, so why not release it now?

Also K, if you download a WinUpdate, that will recreate the folder and basically fix all of your problems? Just wanted to verify, cause I haven't gotten any updates since I removed my Hotfix uninstallers, so I wanted to make sure that this is easily reversible.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stint's Two Cents:

Re-reading all posts the original thread about $hf...in Discussion Forum, started by CeeCee, especially info from Wraithdu,

I conclude that contrary to the above, the folder *will not* be re-installed with the next Win Update you download

To the contrary, it appears that if you deleted this folder and its cache...*you will not be able to install future updates*

Also, restoring the folder (and Unistallers if necessary) is IMHO the best action while waiting next CCleaner

Finally, THX MrG for overall a great product

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stint's Two Cents:

Re-reading all posts the original thread about $hf...in Discussion Forum, started by CeeCee, especially info from Wraithdu,

I conclude that contrary to the above, the folder *will not* be re-installed with the next Win Update you download

I didn't initially think so either, but according to this comment made by krit86lr:

The folder will recreate itself the next time you install a hotfix.

That makes me think that it will reinstall the folder.

@ K: Did you test this out yet? I would, but I would have to wait until Microsoft releases more updates to do so. :(

To the contrary, it appears that if you deleted this folder and its cache...*you will not be able to install future updates*

Also, restoring the folder (and Unistallers if necessary) is IMHO the best action while waiting next CCleaner

Finally, THX MrG for overall a great product

Well, thankfully I can attest that that statement is in fact not correct. When I was using the CCleaner 1.27 beta, I removed all of my Hofix uninstallers (as well as the $hf_mig$ folder), and I have gotten updates since then with no problems. So you will continue to be able to get updates, even if this folder is removed.

If I have been reading these posts correctly, the problem does not lie in not being able to get updates, but instead the problem is getting newer versions of updates you already have. Without the $hf_mig$ folder, Windows has nothing to compare your current updates to, so it won't be able to update the updates you have currently installed.

ding, ding!

If I have been reading these posts correctly, the problem does not lie in not being able to get updates, but instead the problem is getting newer versions of updates you already have. Without the $hf_mig$ folder, Windows has nothing to compare your current updates to, so it won't be able to update the updates you have currently installed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stint's two more Cents

Mr lokoike: Thanks for this, and all the past good info you post here

However, I am still wondering how "not being able to receive newer versions of updates I already have" is any less of a significant problem as "not being able to receive future updates"

Perhaps you are implying, rarely is version updated by updating updates? Usually just whole new update ?

Bottom line is if the folder is gone, IMHO you are "not better off than you were 4 years ago"

I was able to restore the folder, and all the hundreds of files inside, and I do not intend to uninstall any more of the uninstallers until I get LOTS more guidance, and hopefully more definitive fix from MrG

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Stint's two more Cents

Mr lokoike: Thanks for this, and all the past good info you post here

However, I am still wondering how "not being able to receive newer versions of updates I already have" is any less of a significant problem as "not being able to receive future updates"

Perhaps you are implying, rarely is version updated by updating updates? Usually just whole new update ?

I agree with you, and I wasn't trying to make the problem at hand sound insignificant. I believe it is a very big and very real problem. What I was trying to imply was that (to the best of my knowledge) removing this folder would prevent you from acquiring newer revisions of updates you already have, which of course, is not a good thing. So while you can get new updates, you can't improve your old ones.

Bottom line is if the folder is gone, IMHO you are "not better off than you were 4 years ago"

I was able to restore the folder, and all the hundreds of files inside, and I do not intend to uninstall any more of the uninstallers until I get LOTS more guidance, and hopefully more definitive fix from MrG

I also do not plan on removing any more uninstallers until MrG releases the fixed version of CCleaner. One question: what is "not better off than you were 4 years ago" in reference to? Did I miss a previous post?

Also, I just got done getting some Windows Updates. Couldn't come at a better time, right? :D So anyway, the $hf_mig$ folder is recreated, but only the updates that you download are added to it. In other words, previous updates are not re-added to the folder, so it is essentially still "broken", even though it is re-added. :(

A fix would be reeeeeally nice right about now!

ding, ding!

One question: what is "not better off than you were 4 years ago" in reference to? Did I miss a previous post?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nope, you missed nothing

Twas just a different way of saying not having the complete $hf folder is just not good, and I wanted to restore it completely

:-) :-)

It will recreate the folder, but the cache will only have that one update in it. You would have to manually reinstall each update to rebuild the cache.

Hi stint,

Did you manually reinstall a hotfix? That will recreate your folder.

I forgot to say that you need to reboot after installing.

Hi stint,

Did you manually reinstall a hotfix? That will recreate your folder.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

K..Thank you also for good info you put out here for all of us

I just *restored* the whole folder and all contents (689 files and 174Mb)

Now my CCleaner Tools page again shows all the Hotfix uninstalls, and I can search and find the $hf folder , just as things were before I used CCleaner Hotfix uninstaller

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

K..Thank you also for good info you put out here for all of us

I just *restored* the whole folder and all contents (689 files and 174Mb)

Now my CCleaner Tools page again shows all the Hotfix uninstalls, and I can search and find the $hf folder , just as things were before I used CCleaner Hotfix uninstaller

You had a .reg backup I'm guessing? ;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No back up

Running Win XP Home, so able to use 'system restore' feature

No one has suggested using 'system restore' to replace the file, only a .reg backup. We need to pass that info on as a solution. Good job! :D

I'm glad that it worked. ;)

Actually, what I gather from Microsoft's info about this is that there will be a problem only if you install a Hotfix that contains an older version of a file that was updated in a previously installed Hotfix. So if MS screws up and releases a Hotfix that contains some outdated file, you'll wind up using the outdated version instead of the up to date version you previously installed.

Knowing Microsoft, this probably happens all the time.

I used the checkmark and didn't do any backups, am I in some deep shite ? :huh:

No. You'll probably be okay. You can use system restore to put it back (Greenknight's idea) if it will make you feel better. ;) Hey G~

I used the checkmark and didn't do any backups, am I in some deep shite ? :huh:

Well if so, you'll have to share your steaming pile with me, as I also never backed up my $hf_mig$ folder.

However, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You and I may have a few updates that will contain the problem that Greenknight just referenced, but I doubt it will be a huge deal. You're still better off than the people who don't use Windows Updates at all!

That said, there is still no reason to use the broken Hotfix uninstaller option in CCleaner if you haven't already used it! Wait until it is fixed first!

ding, ding!