Firefox Internet Cache very slow cleaning

TopGeek

Since installing CCleaner 5.x, it has been taking several minutes to clean. Today, I uninstalled 5.05 and reverted to 4.19 and now the cache cleaning wizzes through in seconds.

I am using Win 8.1 (64-bit).

Any ideas? Thanks,

TG

No, I only have the same top five Firefox items ticked, as when using 4.19. In fact, all of the items ticked are exactly the same and yet  there is this massive difference in performance. I'm surprised that no-one else is suffering from this.

• Moderators

and does the Slim version perform better for you like it did for the other poster in that thread?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

4.19 takes about 50 seconds to complete a cleaning cycle. with w8.1

also this takes a long time, in my opinion ... for me is complete with ca. 20 sec. or less.

except after a prolonged period of ff without cleaning

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I installed the 'slim' version and that sure is fast. Like 5 - 10 seconds. Inevitably, that leaves me asking if it is doing a thorough job. Apart from the name on the installation file, nowhere else does it mention that it is a 'slim' version.

far as I know, only the Google Chrome browser to download as is linked.

it can be determined only by moderators or developers...

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

• Moderators

Note: there is 100% zero difference between the regular and slim versions. The only difference is within the installation process. The former includes a revenue generating google bundle and the latter doesn't. Any perceived differences beyond that are placebo.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

i mean, for our private thing, is cleaning with 1 pass enough. (i take nothing...)

• Moderators

Yes with modern drives one secure pass is just as effective, and less destructive to the hardware drive, as multiple wipes

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Sounds more like something was wrong with the installed copy, and over-installing/re-installing fixed it. We'll have to remember that if anyone else is having that slow cleaning issue.

Sounds more like something was wrong with the installed copy, and over-installing/re-installing fixed it. We'll have to remember that if anyone else is having that slow cleaning issue.

Why then does the 'slim' version exist?

• Moderators

Slim version exists for those who don't want to deal with the Google installer (or those that run eset which flags and quarantines any installer with budled revenue-ware)

Note: there is 100% zero difference between the regular and slim versions. The only difference is within the installation process. The former includes a revenue generating google bundle and the latter doesn't. Any perceived differences beyond that are placebo.

The question that remains is, what happens when it comes to the next update? Does the update file also contain the revenue generating bundle?

this is to assume.

i simply uncheck the offer and its ok. later if its available i download the slimversion (without reinstall) and delete the standard-version.exe

this is to assume.

i simply uncheck the offer and its ok. later if its available i download the slimversion (without reinstall) and delete the standard-version.exe

I guess so. The problem is that those pre-ticked boxes slip through so easily and once the unwanted software gets installed it is sometimes very difficult to uninstall completely.

I guess so. The problem is that those pre-ticked boxes slip through so easily and once the unwanted software gets installed it is sometimes very difficult to uninstall completely.

well, its depend on the unwanted software that bundled with ccleaner installer which is Google Chrome

once you ignore the offer, it should remember not to offer again next time

in my case, i don't see any after my first install with version 4

• Moderators

With Google being legit it's not like malware getting installed. And to remove stuff more thoroughly uninstall with Revo Uninstaller (there's an old free edition of it but I don't know if it works on Win7/Win8.x), and track every installation of downloaded software with an install tracker/watcher program (Total Uninstall, ZSoft Uninstaller, etc.,) even if it's something you've used for years and trust because trusting can bite you on the butt.

Edited by Andavari

In CCleaner:

Under the Firefox heading if you have Compact Databases enabled/ticked that can be one reason for cleaning taking so long.

I have looked and "Compact Databases" is not enabled in version 5.05.5174 on my Windows 7 computer. Clearing Firefox Internet Cache this AM has taken an extremely long time. Are there any other answers to this issue?

What could possibly be: Do you have the marked locations activated?

c64d4b-1431176502.jpg

and

0c7888-1431176917.jpg

already the lightest level "override 1x" with loosely takes twice as much time to complete the cleaning cycle.

by default (new clean install) i think its on "activated"

Mine has already gone back to 6.5 minutes total with most of that being the Firefox Internet Cache. I am using just one pass in secure deletion. It is true that simple deletion is faster but we all know that simple deletion means the files are marked for overwrite but are still present on the drive until such time as the space is required..