Icons on desktop have 'missing file icon'

jrphotowood

Since using the Registry Cleaner in CCleaner all my Win7 desktop icons have a missing file type pic on top of the original icon - where the shortcut arrow would be.

I've tried restoring the backup Ccleaner did prior to the Registry clean but that has not solved it.

any help would be appreciated.

• 9 months later...

Hi! I know it´s been a while since the last reply on this topic, but I am having the same problem described originally.

After using CCleaner to clean the registry I noticed Firefox shortcut looks like this:

oqhq9i.png

Rebuilding the icon cache didn't work. And I don't think the second suggestion (.lnk fix) applies in my case.

Is there any other thing to try?

It's strange because I am only experiencing this with Firefox icon.

I have already tried creating the shortcut again, changing the text size, changing the icon imagen, and even tried creating a new user with a new profile, and the problem remains.

Any idea would be welcomed.

• Moderators

so the shortcut still works?

it's just the icon image that's buggered?

have you tried restoring the registry from the backup done in CC when you cleaned the registry?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi, there! Thanks for the replies.

@hazelnut: Changing the icon does not solve the issue. Actually I tried pointing to a different program file, with a different icon, and the result is the new icon gets the "missing image" instead of the shortcut arrow. It only gets solved when I change the target of the shortcut to another program. But that's of course not useful.

Pinning/unpinning does not provide any fix as well.

@mta: The shortcut works fine, it is only a cosmetic thing. I restored the last backups of the registry, but the problem persists.

Right now I am not so clear if this was caused by CCleaner of if it was just a coincidence, but since I found this thread I thought that maybe there was a relationship.

It's strange to me it happens only with Firefox shortcut, and given that I have deleted the icon cache several times, created a new windows user profile, and even uninstalled Firefox two times, the problem persists. It´s like in some place there is an association between a specific app an its shortcut image, but that makes no sense to me.

• Moderators

on the assumption the registry has 'remembered' some link (or broken link), I would try this;

reinstall Firefox to a non-default location, so for example, instead of C:\program files\mozilla firefox, make it go to c:\program files\ff

go to the custion folder, right click on firefox.exe, send to, desktop.

what does that do for you?

YES! Installing to a different folder worked! Now the shortcut shows the small arrow as expected!

So, there must be some info in the registry pointing to the old folder, but well, I don't really care anymore.

Thank you so much for all the help!

• Moderators

good result.

So, there must be some info in the registry pointing to the old folder, but well, I don't really care anymore.

agreed, although it's nice to know why, sometimes it's simply time to build that bridge and move on.

it's a question of effort equalling reward.

• 11 months later...

Hi

I have the same problem on Win 10, 64 Bit. Every time i run ccleaner, this issue happens of "Desktop items getting disappeared" 

I have tried (1) change tablet version, (2) Go to desktop and enable the desktop icons and (3) Creating the new file on desktop.

But no benefit. I even went to the explorer and looked for desktop (to 'send shortcut to desktop'), but cant find the files there.

I KNOW FOR SURE that the files have not gone anywhere - last time my IT manager had fixed it. But now the new guy doesn't know

Can any one help please?

RK