Will Internet Explorer 7 protect your PC system?

Arovax

Microsoft has finally presented its new version of Internet Explorer, IE 7. Bill Gates noted: “What we've decided to do is a new version of Internet Explorer, this is IE 7, and it adds a new level of security.” Read More>>>

Does it really add new level of security to your Windows system? And as experienced windows users what do you think about it guys?

no way! There is already flaw (possible vulnerability)! Somewhere on net i read this:

MS doesn't have good programs for browser test and vulnerability check!

this is correct! But let me remind you on something:

there is more and more Mozilla Firefox users and FF is having more and more security flaws. But there is so many FF users and most of them learn how to help to FF community! IE is now having less and less users... This is good for IE and it means that in future will be less vulnerabilities (that is in theory!!!).

Also i think that IE can be much secure browser but they are not trying enough (and also they have payments but still they are every minute founding new security holle and flaw...). I love IE but i'm aware of it's security... In all: they are still far from new level of security ;)

But let me remind you on something:

there is more and more Mozilla Firefox users and FF is having more and more security flaws. But there is so many FF users and most of them learn how to help to FF community! IE is now having less and less users... This is good for IE and it means that in future will be less vulnerabilities (that is in theory!!!).

That's a very good theory. I like your analysis. :) If you choose to use IE install SpywareBlaster, and DSOStop2 in order to improve your security.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

After Microsoft killed off Netscape with Internet Explorer, they stopped innovating and improving it. But then Firefox came and they definitly see it as a threat.

I think that Internet Explorer 7 will incorporate alot of features and stuff seen in Mozilla Firefox.

Internet Explorer has gone through alot of security vulnerabilities and spyware problems, so Microsoft really should pay some attention and try to fix that. Maybe they have, maybe they havent.

But the biggest problem of them all is still dumb users.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

But the biggest problem of them all is still dumb users.

i think that there is no better answer ;)

and just to add:

IE is now installing on legal Win machines.... That protection is easy to bypass if you are expirienced user of win but if you are beginner (like most of IE users are) that you will see how number of IE users will fall (again: this is just my theory)!

Yeah, I hope numbers of IE users will fall.

:lol: That makes me smile.

I have a feeling that whether or not people want to update, Microsoft Update will do it for them. Plus, MS will probably make IE7 mandatory for getting updates pretty soon, like they did in the past when they phased out the other old versions.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

• Moderators

I have a feeling that whether or not people want to update, Microsoft Update will do it for them. Plus, MS will probably make IE7 mandatory for getting updates pretty soon, like they did in the past when they phased out the other old versions.

I will personally update to it when it becomes final for the only reason being I won't have to download a ton of patches for IE6. However I suspect there will still be a never ending monthly release of patches to "secure" IE7 until the next months patch comes along to "secure" it again. All those patches are an endless vicious cycle, that probably even MS is sick of dealing with not just countless end-users.

I will personally update to it when it becomes final for the only reason being I won't have to download a ton of patches for IE6. However I suspect there will still be a never ending monthly release of patches to "secure" IE7 until the next months patch comes along to "secure" it again. All those patches are an endless vicious cycle, that probably even MS is sick of dealing with not just countless end-users.

Course, it does make tech support easier for them. If IE (or Windows or anything else) doesn't work, MS can simply suggest having the user download the newest patch. If the user already has it, MS can tell them to wait until the next patch comes out. They could effectively dance around the problem all day. :P

ding, ding!

• 2 weeks later...
Will Internet Explorer 7 protect your PC system?

Absolutely. I have secured PC, so I even was not affected by that vulnerability. cool.gif

But I allways recommend Opera or Firefox to others, because setting up IE is not easy, although Beta 2 has the function "Fix Settings", so I wonder, how it is going Final version looks like. For me, IE is the safest, Opera fastest, Firefox extensionable.

I'm curious, how long have you been on the Internet to come to that conclusion?

Just wait till he gets his first pop-up! :lol:

Naw, just kidding. To each their own. If he likes IE, more power to him.

That said, IE totally blows and FF (and most likely Opera too) beat the flying shnock out of it any day, night, afternoon, or weekend.

ding, ding!

I'm curious, how long have you been on the Internet to come to that conclusion?

I started a few years ago, but then I have learned something. 2 years I had IE + AV + Firewall and I did not get even one infection (tracking cookies can be deleted by usings CCleaner). Since 2006 I use only IE + Firewall and still no infection so far. I have scripting blocked so succesfully, that I even can not allow it. When I set Trusted Zone to Low, I still was not able to run mars.google.com (Opera and Firefox work fine there). rolleyes.gif

Just wait till he gets his first pop-up! :lol:

Without javascripts, there are no pop-ups. cool.gif

Microsoft has finally presented its new version of Internet Explorer, IE 7. Bill Gates noted: ?What we've decided to do is a new version of Internet Explorer, this is IE 7, and it adds a new level of security.? Read More>>>

Does it really add new level of security to your Windows system? And as experienced windows users what do you think about it guys?

I think it's ridiculous!

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I however will continue not trusting/using IE.

I concur. I will never trust the security/privacy of an MS app. Not for fear of hackers / identity fraudsters, but mainly for fear of a monopolising company. Netscape was (is) virtually wiped out because of that, and <lawyer has deleted remaining statement> hole Mickeysoft !!

I concur. I will never trust the security/privacy of an MS app. Not for fear of hackers / identity fraudsters, but mainly for fear of a monopolising company. Netscape was (is) virtually wiped out because of that, and <lawyer has deleted remaining statement> hole Mickeysoft !!

My feelings in a nutshell. Of course, I do also worry about MS's security as well as their business practices.

ding, ding!

• Moderators

I'm sure it's better than IE6, but malware writers will find holes in it, I guarantee.

It already has or had holes in it. Anyways I noticed MS released beta 2, I still won't be trying it. Microsoft should change their name to "MM," short for "Malware Magnet."