CCleaner Doesn't Wipe Free Space

witoman

I have dl'd the trial version of CCleaner, version 5.02.5501. I am running WinXP SP3 on a Dell D-630 laptop which uses a Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BJKT-00F4T0 320GB 7200 RPM for its boot drive (c:\).

I have run the CCleaner wipe free space function four separate times in ascending order of throroughness (simple, advanced, complex and very complex) on this HDD. After doing this, I ran eSupport's Undelete Plus program which goes into your HDD and recovers deleted files, even if they have been removed from XP's Trashcan. Undelete Plus recovered 80,000 graphics files (jpg, gif, tiff) which I copied over to an external HDD. They are perfectly good graphics files which I remember exsiting except that their recovered filenames are now a number, i.e. the original filenames weren't recovered.

To my unexpert eye, it appears that CCleaner's wipe free space function doesn't work at all. I'm not inclined to purchase CCleaner at the end of the trial period as a result.

Am I missing something?

• Moderators

I assume by trial version, you mean free version?

Either way, the cleaning functionality of the paid-for and free versions are the same.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi witoman,

Unfortunately we were not able to reproduce your problem.

Are you using NTFS or FAT?

Would you be kind to send us a snapshot of the application you used to recover files? Select one of the files that can be recovered so we can also see it on the Preview window.

If you prefer, you can send me a PM message.

We believe that if we work together we can solve this problem.

Thanks

MrT