CCleaner incompatible with 360 Total Security?

I recently installed 360 Total Security, an anti-virus program with its own cleaning and optimizing functions. After doing a 360 Total Security scan and clean job, I ran CCleaner because the 360 Total Security package does not include a special registry cleaner.

Following this, I had to have Windows 7 re-installed because the operation described above messed up my computer to the extent that nothing less than a Win 7 re-installation could get me back to work, not even Restore-Windows-to-a-previous-date.

Does this mean that CCleaner is incompatible with 360 Total Security? 

• Moderators

so was everything OK after the 360 TS clean?

and then you ran CC's reg cleaner, and all hell broke loose?

did you do a reg backup as suggested by CC?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

No, it is more likely that you removed registry entries you shouldn't have. Read my signature, below, for advice

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the advice given above. I'll look into it.  

To respond to the first answer I received:

Everything seemed fine after I installed 360 TS and then did the so-called "Full Check" and "Repair" operations the program offers. Because 360 TS does not have a registry cleaner -- Qihoo is apparently planning to add it as a tool -- I followed up by running the registry cleaner included in CCleaner. After that, my Win 7 (64 bit) computer started to degrade. It would not shut down or start up properly, some programs did not respond as they should, and all the other signs of the operating system breaking down appeared, preventing me from working normally. I tried to restore different older registry configurations and also restored the whole Win 7 system to an earlier date. No luck with these rescue attempts.

The technician who re-installed Win 7 said that one should not mix programs aimed at cleaning, optimizing and repairing the registry. If this is true, one would have to chose between CCleaner and a program such as 360 TS, even though the latter is an anti-virus program in the first place. But is this true? Are the two programs really incompatible or did an unknown, unrelated factor cause the sudden degrading of my operating system? In short: can I use CCleaner in conjunction with 360 TS or should I not do that? Does someone know whether there is any logical reason why CCleaner and 360 TS might be incompatible?

I like both programs very much!

• Moderators

The technician should have said: "One should not be haphazard whilst using programs aimed at cleaning, optimizing and repairing the registry. And one should not mix their use in the same Windows session as discerning the cause of possible errors becomes problematic. In other words, if you use Ccleaner's registry and (unfortunately) told it to remove all found items, and the ran the more aggressive "Brand X" registry cleaner and told it to remove even more items, it would be a Sisyphusian problem to know which of the 900 entries, that one removed, made the PC unbootable."

Edit:

So its not so much a matter of incompatibility as it is a matter of too much at once.

Incompatibility would be more like running two antivirus or two firewalls where actual programmatic disagreements would actually exist.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

The technician also said that one should not overdo registry cleaning -- once a week with CCleaner perhaps. I do (or did) have the habit of running the CCleaner Registry "Scan for issues" operation three times in a row, or even more times, until all issues were fixed and the problem report showed no (or almost no) issues left at all. Would that be overdoing it?

On the basis of what you said, I will in future only clean the registry (and run the file cleaner) with CCleaner in a separate session, and not use 360 TS Cleanup in that same session.

If my O/S starts to break down again, I'll know that the two programs don't combine well. If you would like to try 360 TS, download it at www.360safe.com . Its quite nifty. 

• Moderators

it's just my opinion, but my thoughts on the regularity of Reg cleaning is the same as defragging; only required a few times a year - at most.

that's for the average user but I would only increase those tasks to maybe once per month if the PC was under very heavy, consistent load.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.