In Praise of CCleaner

login123

Just thought i would share an encouraging word. 

The posts on the forum are no doubt very helpful to the developers, but as they are mostly reports of bugs and glitches they make it appear that CCleaner is, errr, well, buggy and glitchy.  It isn't.

Just got finished cleaning up a win 7 laptop.  It had nearly ground to a halt. It had a variety of pups, toolbars, and other junk software that the user had installed.  No actual viruses, but a ton of other stuff. 

After the junkware was removed I ran CCleaner, one step at a time, and then the registry cleaner, also one step at a time.  Sorry to say I didn't record the details like how much and what it was, but suffice to say that there was a ton of leftovers. 

When I saw the results of the analyze step my heart sank.  I am not so young anymore. 

CCleaner analyzed fast, cleaned fast, got all the leftovers worth worrying about.  Had to run the registry cleaner three times, the first run exposed some entries for the second run, I suppose.  The third run was clean.  The machine got noticeably faster after the first cleaning.  It now runs much faster, and actually connects to the website you want. 

So there ya go.  It works great:  fast, light, & thorough.   An encouraging word.  :)

edit: 

Now, the average reader may think I am just a fanboy, been a member here long time.  S'not so, if CCleaner had not worked i would have just kept hanging around and not said anything.  Fact of the matter is I never have to do that stuff to my computer, so didn't actually know how well CCleaner would work. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Good topic @login123, and in a nutshell, you are right.

No software, even after years of refinements, is bug-proof.  Of course in an ideal world they should be, but it rarely works out like that.

I've been on the pointy end of software development as a programmer, project leader and after-hours oncall support, so I've seen programs that have been well tested still fall over.

The cleaning side of CC is, as you say, light, fast and thorough.  It is also highly customisable (I think that's a word) and in my opinion very trustworthy (which is easy to under-appreciate).

Some new features have been either badly implemented or have questionable usefulness, but the overall functionality has been rock solid.

Even after playing with Win10 TP, the new CC GUI sort of makes sense (a little bit) still doesn't mean I'm a fan though.

So yeah - kudos where due.  I for one would not want to see the product fade away.  I have tried a few others and still regard CC as the best for my needs.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Any Windows computer out there that doesn't have CCleaner is missing something very important. I feel sorry for them. I even developed the habit of running CCleaner on the machines that I get my hands on. The amount of junk that I clean from those often reach a few GBs.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

A machine that's rarely cleaned or has never been cleaned will yield great results from CCleaner. I always find it horrific how much stuff Internet Explorer accumulates if someone uses that browser and never runs its built-in cleaning tools.

This amount was a few gb, don't remember exactly. 

After reading about CCleaner stalling, cleaning slowly, etc for so long I was ready for a long haul, but it was quite fast, not more than 2 minutes, probably less. 

That was with 1 overwrite.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.