wrong files deleted

Sybelius

Hello, I have a demo version of ccleaner 3.06.1433 on a win 7 home laptop. Today I happened to use it to clean my laptop's hard drive, but then I started reading that the line of the directory it was working with was not c: but H:\, related to my girlfriend's precious portable drive. She had saved in that drive so many pictures she cannot tell if something is really missing because in her portable drive there were thousands of pictures divided in hundreds of directories, and she is asking me (not quite kindly) if there is a log file or a list of the files available in the program to check what have been lost. I cannot find any information. I checked the configuration of ccleaner and there is nowhere an option that allows to choose the drive where to delete the files. In the Options tab there is only the option to choose which free space drives have to be wiped. Why the hell did ccleaner start to delete files in another drive without me telling it to do it?

I'd need some kind explanation, and any help would be much appreciated.

• Moderators

There is nothing in ccleaner's default (and non-enhanced with winapp2.ini file) that would touch any drive except your system (usually c: drive). Did you add any checkmarks to the default settings (such as checking the "wipe free space" option)? Did you only use the cleaner or did you uses other tools from within ccleaner (including/especially the registry section?

If anything is actually removed from her drive, you need to make sure nothing else is written to the drive and use a recovery program on the drive immediately, in order to achieve the best chance that they can be fixed.

There is no "demo" version I believe you mean the free version. However, can you confirm that you got ccleaner from either piriform.com or one of the select few authorized download sites (please identify the source by name so as to allow us to better help you ).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

and also, CC v3.06 is darn old.

plus, CC does NOT delete personal data unless it is told to or falls within its cleaning rules.

that's why (especially for a first run) it's recommended to hit Analyse first to check what will be cleaned.

for example a picture called MYGIRL.JPG living in a folder called \HOLIDAY2014\ would not be touched.

however the same picture living in a system or user temporary folder WILL be deleted.

as to a log of what was removed, sadly there isn't one.  it's come up as a suggestion in the past, but not implemented yet - if ever.

can you give an example of the filename and folder path that you/she thinks is missing?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hello, I checked the "wipe free space" option with the NSA 7 passes method. And I had used Regcleaner from the same ccleaner right before using the disk cleaner. I can only suppose I downloaded the program from the piriform site becase I normally don't trust other sources very much .

I see now that the optios->settings tab shows me that the program sees the other drive, but I'm sure I never selected the other drives in this section

Could you suggest me a good program to restore deleted files, please?

and also, CC v3.06 is darn old.

plus, CC does NOT delete personal data unless it is told to or falls within its cleaning rules.

that's why (especially for a first run) it's recommended to hit Analyse first to check what will be cleaned.

for example a picture called MYGIRL.JPG living in a folder called \HOLIDAY2014\ would not be touched.

however the same picture living in a system or user temporary folder WILL be deleted.

as to a log of what was removed, sadly there isn't one.  it's come up as a suggestion in the past, but not implemented yet - if ever.

can you give an example of the filename and folder path that you/she thinks is missing?

Unfortunately it is very hard to say! Se sais that she stored too many files to check which ones are missing!

• Moderators

Hello, I checked the "wipe free space" option with the NSA 7 passes method. And I had used Regcleaner from the same ccleaner right before using the disk cleaner. I can only suppose I downloaded the program from the piriform site becase I normally don't trust other sources very much .

I see now that the optios->settings tab shows me that the program sees the other drive, but I'm sure I never selected the other drives in this section

that would only wipe free space. should be no reason to suspect actual personal photos or such were removed.

or does she know for sure some pictures are gone, or is it that the overall file numbers or space used has decreased?

that could simply be TMP files or similar being cleaned by CC.

• Moderators

Unfortunately it is very hard to say! Se sais that she stored too many files to check which ones are missing!

fingers crossed, but maybe she is crying WOLF and you are being hit with the blunt end of the stick for no reason :D

fingers crossed, but maybe she is crying WOLF and you are being hit with the blunt end of the stick for no reason :D

This is what I think too.

And leads to a much more difficult problem: how, technically, Can I reassure her that the program hasn't touched any files? I'm fairly sure it hasn't but I remember very well CCleanr accessing the H:\  address! :(

• Moderators

Yes reassure her and turn OFF wfs it will kill harddrives faster. In popular opinion, it should be run very rarely and most of the regular users here advise using the tools section (still rarely) if you want free space wiping.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

I think she saw H listed freaked out and assumed the worst.

Placation time: Download Recuva, Run it on the drive, restore all jpgs found to another drive, make GF go through them (they're hers after all) hope no naked pic of exboyfriends are in the recovered

• Moderators

you have bugger all chance of reassuring her B)

she will simply not believe anything you say unless it can be backed up with evidence.  that's just the way we humans work. (so why religion is still going strong bewilders me)

and there-in lies the rub, there is no evidence.

how about setting CC up exactly (or as much as you can remember) as it was when "you deleted all my files you bastard" but this time hit Analzye.

This (should) show you that no personal files were included in this run, and therefore the previous run.

(just do it without the girlfriend around - in case our worst fears get realised - then if it shows no pictures would be cleaned, gloat as much as you dare to the girlfriend)

• Moderators

SMH sigh :lol:

• Moderators

no way, you can't leave it hanging like that.

details please....

• Moderators

If he doesn't respond back, I think we may have to assume he was right but still found his pet rabbit in the kitchen pot ! :)