Defraggler causing 0x7F BSOD before boot even in safe mode

Hexadecimus

Defraggler has caused a BSOD boot loop on a laptop with a fresh installation of Win7. it was supposed to run a boot-time defrag. I get 0x7F even on safe mode and I don't know how to manually disable the offending item at boot time.

I can get to the recovery GUI but the automatic startup repair does not work. Last known good configuration gives BSOD.

Where is Defraggler told to start and how do I manually disable it from a command prompt?

This is fairly urgent for me. I have some legal paperwork due soon. thanks!

As I said, Last know good config also gives BSOD.

System restore fails.

So, Defraggler has fragged my system? I can get into recovery mode and access a prompt. I can run Notepad or Regedit from the command line. not much else will attempt to run.

Is there a registry setting or file I can edit to disable whatever has changed at boot time?

• Moderators

admittedly, this is messy, but the first (and currently only) method that comes to mind is to put the laptop drive into another PC.

then you could either;

• on that PC, go into regedit, File, Load Hive... and find the hive file that contains where MSCONFIG puts it Run & RunOnce keys and remove Defraggler.

or

but as stated, messy.

in all honesty, however you got to where you are now, I think (sadly) it's time to consider a 'nuke from space' approach and do (another) fresh install of Windows.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

If you go down the new install route, as soon as you get it set up use this

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx  and make an image and store it on an external drive then you will never have a situation like this again.

How to do this..

http://kb.macrium.com/Knowledgebase.aspx

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Just a question, for mta or Hazelnut, can your instructions be implemented from a linux boot cd or USB stick? 

I say just a question I can't tell someone how to do it, not experienced enough,

Some linux boot cds have repair tools on them, and will allow access to locked windows files.

I would have no reservations about trying if I were in Hex's situation.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

personally, I would reinstall Windows.

when all is said and done, it'll just be quicker I reckon.

plus has the added advantage of definitely knowing you are (re)starting from a clean slate.

the reg hack would still entail chasing down any other side-effects once the laptop gets bootable.

you could certainly use the Linux idea for my second bullet point as it is after-all just moving system files around.

don't see how it would work for my first bullet point.  I would only edit the windows registry with a windows tried-and-true tool (regedit).

I'm not much of an expert on Linux - does it even have a program to edit a Windows registry file?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

personally, I would reinstall Windows.

. . . Linux - does it even have a program to edit a Windows registry file?

Probably good idea, to reinstall. 

Not sure about the registry editor workings.  I haven't used a linux disk for repairs for a long time. 

Some of them, like Hiren's Boot CD, do repairs, including disk managers, but they are dangerous.  They don't have the built in protections of windows. 

Still, if one repairs computer problems often, they're worth a look, and well worth the price of a CD or DVD. 

Hiren's content is described at:

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

It downloads from:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Be CAREFUL, don't click the big rectangles at the top of the page.  

Instead, go down the page to some small type that says this, and click the link to the zip file.  :

Filename: Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip

Filesize: 592.5 MB (621283886 bytes)

ISO MD5: 7EFC81ADBBD551D56F6021C439C6837C

ZIP MD5: D342BBD6BF7554ABA24A376E41675DBF

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.