Exceptionally Poor Performance

marukka

When defragging a 18TB RAID 6 which is formatted as ReFS, Defraggler is exhibiting exceptionally poor performance and is barely placing a load on the disks at all. When it defrags large files I can see disk activity spike to 100% during that file, but when it is defragging very small files (which I have over a million of) disk activity is almost non-existant. Please note that I am aware of the exceptionally poor write performance of ReFS, and the write performance implications of using RAID 6. Its almost as if it is calling Sleep(1000) (or sleep(1)) after it defrags each file, or that the relevant thread is blocking for one second for some other reason after each file.

If you look at the first attached picture (Untitled.png), at the left most portion of the Active Time graph is when it was defragging small files, and the rest of it is with large files. In the second picture (Untitled2.png) you can see it defragging some medium sized files, and take note of the pauses in the Active Time graph between each file. And in the third picture (Untitled3.png) you can see it defragging some small files, disk activity is almost nil.

If it matters the relevant parts of my system are:

Defraggler 2.18.945 x64

Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter (latest patches & activated)

SuperMicro X9DAE Motherboard (Dual Xeon E5-2650, 48GB DDR3 ECC RDIMM, UEFI mode, latest BIOS)

HighPoint 4320 3 Gbps SAS RAID Card with 8x 3TB HGST (HDS72303) disks in a 18TB usable RAID 6 (64k stripe, 4k sector) which is formatted as ReFS.

post-71691-0-32147200-1420397048_thumb.png

post-71691-0-21797200-1420397054_thumb.png

post-71691-0-52293500-1420403968_thumb.png