Problems installing Lastest Update

Avak1924

I am having problems installing the latest update of CCleaner (version 1.27.260) onto my computer (Operating System is Microsoft Windows XP SP2). I can download the file just fine but when I say to run the program it says the program "is not a valid Win32 application. It will do this if I choose just to open the file or save it onto my computer (no matter where I put it). All the previous times I updated ccleaner it has worked perfectly until now. If someone can help me with this that would be great. Thanks

~Avak1924~

Hi Avak 1924,

Let's start with this. Download this link (easiest) to desktop, and install. When you open the link you need to scroll down to Mirrors/download locations and Articles. Underneath that heading choose "direct download".

DAF

After downloading/installing you need to reboot, and logon as Administrator. Once logged on as Admin open dial-a-fix.exe...look to the bottom of the screen > click the green check mark > then click go.

Now reboot, and try again. Post back, and let us know if it worked or not.

Good Luck!! :)

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

All the previous times I updated ccleaner it has worked perfectly until now. If someone can help me with this that would be great.

Not too many ideas on this one, but if K's suggestion doesn't work, I would suggest first restarting the computer and trying to install CCleaner in Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work re-download a previous version (get v1.26 here). Then, uninstall CCleaner, and try installing v1.26 again. If it works, we can isolate the problem to the newest version, but if it doesn't work, then the issue is most likely with Windows.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

The Dial a Fix didn't work but I figured out that it was my darn antivirus that was preventing it from running. So I was able to disable it, install it and then enable my antivirus program again. Thanks for all of the help you have given me.

~Avak1924~

The Dial a Fix didn't work but I figured out that it was my darn antivirus that was preventing it from running. So I was able to disable it, install it and then enable my antivirus program again. Thanks for all of the help you have given me.

~Avak1924~

I'm glad that you fixed it, and thanks for posting the solution. Did you install the Standard Build because others had that problem with the Beta version. It was supposed to be fixed in the final version. Although I think that the changes were made to specific Antivirus programs. I'll double check that.

What antivirus do you use?

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Now I'm having an error that says theres a problem with zhotkey.exe. It's not doing anything noticeable when I'm on the computer but it is annoying to have it pop up every time the computer starts up. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It sounds like it has something to do with my keyboard. And this error started after using the dial a fix and getting the newest version of ccleaner to install.

~Avak1924~

Hello,

The following instructions will tell you if there is anything wrong with your keyboard.

First, start > run > (type) dxdiag

On the fist page, System, look for your version of DirectX...the latest version is 9.0c. Upgrade if you're not running the most current version.

When DirectX opens check the box that says "Check for WHQL digital signatures" (it's in the bottom left hand corner). Now click the tab that says "Input". The bottom of the screen should say "No problems found". Under the heading "Input Related Devices" you can look at the information about your keyboard.

Can you post the popup relating to zHotkey.exe? The following tells what it is:

Filename: zHotkey.exe

Name: CHotKey

Description: Enables special keys on Chicony keyboards. Special combinations include Internet, E-mail, vol , vol-, mute, etc. Only required for extended features

Recommendation: User's choice - depends whether a user deems it necessary

Have you ran an "Issues Scan" with CCleaner, and fixed the Issues?

I ran the dxdiag and it says there is no problems with my keyboard and I have the current version of DirectX. But I don't really understand what you mean by post the popup relating to zhotkey.exe. Do you mean the popup that windows brings up?

Yes, I ran the issues on CCleaner and fixed all of the issues.

~Avak1924~

Hi Avak,

Thanks for the PM. You were right not to post that in the thread. ;)

I am going to be gone for most of the day so for now do the following.

Open CCleaner > Tools > Startup > (click) zhotkey.exe/CHotKey > delete entry - This will stop it from loading when you start your computer.

Or you can wait for someone else to tell you how to reinstall the driver (zhotkey.exe) because that's the problem. But, if you don't use this application you should just get rid of it.

FYI: Zhotkey.exe is a third party application, not Microsoft so DAF is not responsible. Although CCleaner, or your Antivirus software may have messed with it. This .exe is sometimes detected as a problem by Antivirus's.

Later!

K