Windows Event Viewer Error 78

larryg1516

CCleaner Version: 5.01.5075

Windows Version:  8.1, 64-bit

Since installing version 5 of CCleaner, I've started seeing the following error in the Windows 8.1 Event Viewer

Event ID 78, SideBySide

Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "" on line . A component version required by the application conflicts with another component version already active. Conflicting components are:. Component 1: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9600.17415_none_a9ed7f470139b3c1.manifest. Component 2: C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9600.17415_none_6240486fecbd8abb.manifest.

This is occurring once a day, usually around 3 AM. The computer this is occurring on runs 24x7 but I am not on the computer at the time the error occurs so this must be related to an automated task the CCleaner is starting once a day.

I've seen this exact same error before in an Adobe application that was run to check for updates.  In that case, blog entries discussing the problem diagnosed it as such

"This error  is caused by a wrong manifest embedded in the FormDesigner application. If you open the application in Visual Studio and extract the manifest you will see two references to the common controls dll - one processor-agnostic (*) version and one version requiring x86. On a 64-bit machine processor-agnostic references will appearantly resolve to the 64-bit version. The error in the event log is legitimate since imports are already defined from whatever version was process first. To test just try removing the processor-agnostic reference from the manifest and resave the app in Visual Studio. When you rerun the app the errors are gone."

Here's the complete event viewer details

- <System>
  <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="49409">78</EventID>
  <Level>2</Level>
  <Task>0</Task>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-12-22T11:04:15.000000000Z" />
  <EventRecordID>57368</EventRecordID>
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>MiniSystem</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9600.17415_none_a9ed7f470139b3c1.manifest</Data>
  <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\manifests\amd64_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.9600.17415_none_6240486fecbd8abb.manifest</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data>c:\program files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe</Data>
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  <Data />
  </EventData>
  </Event>

I was getting this error in my event log as well, but I found a work around. I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti-virus software, and I placed the MSE location (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe) in the "excluded files" settings in MSE, and I haven't had the SxS error since.