CCleaner does not start

daniel.game

I have just installed CCleaner on my 2 PCs.

It works fine on my notebook (XP), while it does not on my desktop PC (W2000).

I installed it successfully, but when I try to launch it, it does not start.

Can you help ?

Thanks in advance.

I am using CCCleaner v1.27.260

Do you mean you double-click the icon, and nothing happens, or receive an error message? If you get a message, what is it?

If nothing happens, try opening up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click the Processes tab, and see if ccleaner.exe is listed. If it is, but nothing is on your screen, try right-clicking it, and selecting 'End Process' to close it out. Then try running it again and see if it works this time.

If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer and then try running it again.

If that is also a no go, try booting into Safe Mode, and then uninstall/reinstall CCleaner and see if it works in Safe Mode. If it does, boot back into Normal Mode and see if it continues to work.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I had the same issue some time ago. It was caused by network problems when Ccleaner tried to check for updates while starting.

Reinstall Ccleaner and uncheck "Automatically check for updates to Ccleaner". Make sure that ccleaner.exe is not running when trying to install, as lokoike suggested in his reply.

Do you mean you double-click the icon, and nothing happens, or receive an error message? If you get a message, what is it?

If nothing happens, try opening up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del), click the Processes tab, and see if ccleaner.exe is listed. If it is, but nothing is on your screen, try right-clicking it, and selecting 'End Process' to close it out. Then try running it again and see if it works this time.

If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer and then try running it again.

If that is also a no go, try booting into Safe Mode, and then uninstall/reinstall CCleaner and see if it works in Safe Mode. If it does, boot back into Normal Mode and see if it continues to work.

Thanks for that quick answer. I tried everything except the safe mode. It does not work. Sorry for being so ignorant, but I do not know how to boot in Safe mode. I know that I should be hitting some key at the very beginning of the boot process, but I do not know which one !!!!!

I had the same issue some time ago. It was caused by network problems when Ccleaner tried to check for updates while starting.

Reinstall Ccleaner and uncheck "Automatically check for updates to Ccleaner". Make sure that ccleaner.exe is not running when trying to install, as lokoike suggested in his reply.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I carefully tried it, but I still get the same result. CCleaner does not start. It's a pity, because it works so nicely on my other PC !!!!!

I still have to try the Safe Mode suggestion from loloike, but as I already answered him, my ignorance goes to the point that I do not know how to boot in Safe Mode !!!!!!!!

Finally I tried the Safe Mode, it doesn't work either. I have something wrong in my computer.

Finally I tried the Safe Mode, it doesn't work either. I have something wrong in my computer.

Reboot your computer, and when it restarts press F8 over and over until you get a screen that gives you a list of boot options. Use your arrow key to select "Safe Mode".

There is something wrong with your computer, but you can/should be able to boot in safe mode. Try again.

Someone will address you dll issue soon.

Have a nice day!

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi daniel.game,

Print, and follow these instructions.

1. Uninstall CCleaner

2. Download CClear to your desktop CCleaner, scroll down to the slim version. (Just download, don't install it yet)

3. Download DAF to your desktop. Click the link, and scroll down to "Mirrors/download locations, and articles". Beneath that you will see "Direct download@DJLizard.net" click that to download. Install it then open the program...when dial-a-fix opens look to the bottom of the screen, and you will see a green check mark. Click the green check mark then click GO.

4. Now reboot in safe mode with command prompt.

Safe Mode with command prompt

"1. Boot the computer as normal, and tap the F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo appears and choose Safe mode with command prompt from the boot menu.

2. Press Control+Alt+Delete to open a task manager window.

3. Click on File > New Task..., and browse to where you stored Dial-a-fix.exe (your desktop).

4. If you are able to launch Dial-a-fix.exe, click Tools and double click on Repair permissions. If all goes as planned, it will begin applying changes. If it does not, post back before continuing with these instructions."

5. Now reboot in Safe Mode. Reboot your computer, and when it restarts press F8 over and over (before Windows logo appears) until you get a screen that gives you a list of boot options. Use your arrow key to select "Safe Mode".

Install CCleaner then open it, and run it.

6. Now reboot normally.

If anything about these instructions are unclear please let me know before attempting these steps.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

K :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi daniel.game,

Print, and follow these instructions.

1. Uninstall CCleaner

2. Download CClear to your desktop CCleaner, scroll down to the slim version. (Just download, don't install it yet)

3. Download DAF to your desktop. Click the link, and scroll down to "Mirrors/download locations, and articles". Beneath that you will see "Direct download@DJLizard.net" click that to download. Install it then open the program...when dial-a-fix opens look to the bottom of the screen, and you will see a green check mark. Click the green check mark then click GO.

4. Now reboot in safe mode with command prompt.

Safe Mode with command prompt

"1. Boot the computer as normal, and tap the F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo appears and choose Safe mode with command prompt from the boot menu.

2. Press Control+Alt+Delete to open a task manager window.

3. Click on File > New Task..., and browse to where you stored Dial-a-fix.exe (your desktop).

4. If you are able to launch Dial-a-fix.exe, click Tools and double click on Repair permissions. If all goes as planned, it will begin applying changes. If it does not, post back before continuing with these instructions."

5. Now reboot in Safe Mode. Reboot your computer, and when it restarts press F8 over and over (before Windows logo appears) until you get a screen that gives you a list of boot options. Use your arrow key to select "Safe Mode".

Install CCleaner then open it, and run it.

6. Now reboot normally.

If anything about these instructions are unclear please let me know before attempting these steps.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Hi krit86lr,

First of all thanks a lot for this comprehensive answer.

I went carefully through all the steps.

When dial-a-fix ran on the 1st step (ie after checking the green mark & go), it found about 30 errors, all saying "could not register type library for file C:\WINNT\system32\xxxxx.dll, and xxxxx.ocx, and xxxx.cpl.

Nevertheless it finished normally, and I went through all the following steps of the process, and installed the CCleaner slim, and ran it.

It did not run.

Too bad.

I do have a problem with my computer (actually I have not been able to use the Uninstall function from the Config Panel for a while; it fails with a script error on line 21 etc ... mentioning this URL : res://sp3res.dll/default.hta); This all might be related. And I am afraid that I might have to reinstall W2000 from scratch.

Well, I do not want to bother you with my problems, and I thank you very much again for your time and help.

Hi krit86lr,

First of all thanks a lot for this comprehensive answer.

I went carefully through all the steps.

When dial-a-fix ran on the 1st step (ie after checking the green mark & go), it found about 30 errors, all saying "could not register type library for file C:\WINNT\system32\xxxxx.dll, and xxxxx.ocx, and xxxx.cpl.

Nevertheless it finished normally, and I went through all the following steps of the process, and installed the CCleaner slim, and ran it.

It did not run.

Too bad.

I do have a problem with my computer (actually I have not been able to use the Uninstall function from the Config Panel for a while; it fails with a script error on line 21 etc ... mentioning this URL : res://sp3res.dll/default.hta); This all might be related. And I am afraid that I might have to reinstall W2000 from scratch.

Well, I do not want to bother you with my problems, and I thank you very much again for your time and help.

Don't reinstall. There are quite a few things that you can do to troubleshoot your problems, and it's not a bother. ;)

Can you post the full error? And were you logged in as administrator when you ran DAF? (I'm not sure if I included that in my post) You need administrator access to register anything in your registry.

K

Don't reinstall. There are quite a few things that you can do to troubleshoot your problems, and it's not a bother. ;)

Can you post the full error? And were you logged in as administrator when you ran DAF? (I'm not sure if I included that in my post) You need administrator access to register anything in your registry.

K

OK. Thanks for your patience.

1. I was not logged as administrator when I run DAF

2. Do you want me to post the last error I mentioned (ie the one when using the uninstall function of the congig panel - see attached screen capture) or all the errors identified by DAF ?

Thanks.

post-4239-1140788266_thumb.jpg

post-4239-1140788266_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I installed mine yesterday, ran "analyze", it ran and nothing showed up for hours. Is this not supposed to be connected to the internet to scan?

It is not necessary to be online to use ccleaner. If fact if you use FireFox you must close it before cleaning.

If it is the first time you have used ccleaner it can take quite a while as there can be a lot of cookies etc which build up.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I installed mine yesterday, ran "analyze", it ran and nothing showed up for hours. Is this not supposed to be connected to the internet to scan?

Try it in safe mode, and see what happens

OK. Thanks for your patience.

1. I was not logged as administrator when I run DAF

2. Do you want me to post the last error I mentioned (ie the one when using the uninstall function of the congig panel - see attached screen capture) or all the errors identified by DAF ?

Thanks.

Hi Daniel.game,

I have not spoken French in 10 years, but I think that the error is "This object does not manage this property or this method". If I translated correctly you just need Admininistrator access. In order to not need to be logged on as an Administrator you will need to change your user settings to allow yourself more access.

Try uninstalling, and installing logged on as Administrator. If it works then we can just change the limitations on your user account.

One more thing, I didn't know you were French so download the CCleaner "basic" version instead of the "slim" version. Slim is English only. Apologies.

Au revoir. Avoir un jour agr?able.

Hi Daniel.game,

I have not spoken French in 10 years, but I think that the error is "This object does not manage this property or this method". If I translated correctly you just need Admininistrator access. In order to not need to be logged on as an Administrator you will need to change your user settings to allow yourself more access.

Try uninstalling, and installing logged on as Administrator. If it works then we can just change the limitations on your user account.

One more thing, I didn't know you were French so download the CCleaner "basic" version instead of the "slim" version. Slim is English only. Apologies.

Au revoir. Avoir un jour agr?able.

I have 2 more questions :

1. When you say uninstall/install logged on as Admin, do you mean uninstall/install CCleaner ? We're not talking about DAF any longer ? Or do I have to go thru the whole process you described yesterday with DAF ?

2. Again my ignorance : how do I log on as an Administrator ?

Thanks again. No worry about the slim version. It's fine with me.

Hi Daniel.game,

This is a quote from your post:

"I do have a problem with my computer (actually I have not been able to use the Uninstall function from the Config Panel for a while." Do you mean control panel - Contr?ler le Panneau (sp?)? If the uninstall function works when logged on as an Administrator then your user access settings just need to be adjusted.

And "yes" you need to run DAF again as Administrator, and reboot your computer.

When you boot (pressing F8 repeatedly) you will choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list. Then it will give you logon options. 1. Your username, and 2. Administrator. Choose Administrator then follow the instructions that I gave you for running DAF.

Let me know if you have any question. :)

K

Hi Daniel.game,

This is a quote from your post:

"I do have a problem with my computer (actually I have not been able to use the Uninstall function from the Config Panel for a while." Do you mean control panel - Contr?ler le Panneau (sp?)? If the uninstall function works when logged on as an Administrator then your user access settings just need to be adjusted.

And "yes" you need to run DAF again as Administrator, and reboot your computer.

When you boot (pressing F8 repeatedly) you will choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the list. Then it will give you logon options. 1. Your username, and 2. Administrator. Choose Administrator then follow the instructions that I gave you for running DAF.

Let me know if you have any question. :)

K

I tried to log on as an Administrator. Unsuccessfully.

When I select the "Safe Mode option with command prompt", I do not get the logon options you describe. I only get a command prompt window, which displays "C:\Documents and Settings\Homer>_".

My computer has Windows 2000 Professional Edition installed.

Daniel.

Wow.

Ok.

Move the folder you extracted Dial-a-fix into to the root of your C: drive, and rename the folder DAF, for readability purposes.

When you are at the command prompt,

type:

cd \daf

dial-a-fix.exe

Click on Tools, then Repair permissions in Dial-a-fix.

Also, you may want to re-apply service pack 4, but you'll probably have to do this from Safe Mode as well.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/6...e/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Wow.

Ok.

Move the folder you extracted Dial-a-fix into to the root of your C: drive, and rename the folder DAF, for readability purposes.

When you are at the command prompt,

type:

cd \daf

dial-a-fix.exe

Click on Tools, then Repair permissions in Dial-a-fix.

Also, you may want to re-apply service pack 4, but you'll probably have to do this from Safe Mode as well.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/6...e/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Hi DjLizard,

Thanks for jumping in because his last post stumped me. I instructed him in my 2nd post to repair permissions (but I'm not sure if he did or not). I have a few questions.

1. After following your instructions does he need to launch DAF again, and click the green check mark then click GO?

2. Will he need to reinstall his VB runtime?

3. After re-installing SP4 does he need to reinstall his updates?

Thanks alot.

K

Hi Daniel.game,

I have a question for you too. Do you know how to "Move the folder you extracted Dial-a-fix into to the root of your C: drive, and rename the folder DAF, for readability purposes"?

Remember if you're unclear about something to ask before attempting. ;)

K

Hi DjLizard,

Thanks for jumping in because his last post stumped me. I instructed him in my 2nd post to repair permissions (but I'm not sure if he did or not). I have a few questions.

1. After following your instructions does he need to launch DAF again, and click the green check mark then click GO?

2. Will he need to reinstall his VB runtime?

3. After re-installing SP4 does he need to reinstall his updates?

Thanks alot.

K

Hi Daniel.game,

I have a question for you too. Do you know how to "Move the folder you extracted Dial-a-fix into to the root of your C: drive, and rename the folder DAF, for readability purposes"?

Remember if you're unclear about something to ask before attempting. ;)

K

OK, I did move that folder into the root of C: and renamed it.

Now, I need to be sure of what I should be doing next.

Thanks a lot all !!!

OK, I did move that folder into the root of C: and renamed it.

Now, I need to be sure of what I should be doing next.

Thanks a lot all !!!

Just to be sure, the folder path should be "C:\DAF". Be sure that this is were you moved, and renamed it.

Now reboot into safe mode with command prompt as instructed before (F8).

(type) cd \daf (press enter)

now (type) dial-a-fix (press enter)

DAF should now be launched. Click Tools > click repair permissions > click Go

Are these clear instructions?

Just to be sure, the folder path should be "C:\DAF". Be sure that this is were you moved, and renamed it.

Now reboot into safe mode with command prompt as instructed before (F8).

(type) cd \daf (press enter)

now (type) dial-a-fix (press enter)

DAF should now be launched. Click Tools > click repair permissions > click Go

Are these clear instructions?

Well, I did everything. Dial-a-fix ran well, going thru 3 steps. I did uninstall and reinstall CCleaner, but still not working.

I am pretty sure there is something wrong in my computer. I have other problems like :

• Cannot use the Remove Programs function from the Control Panel

• Google Desktop Search does not work anymore (ie does not react when typing a word in the search window). Tried to uninstall it with its own uninstall function. It failed at some point.

• CCleaner does not start (this one you know !!)

You guys were patient and trying to help, I thanks you so much. But I think my computer needs a thorough cleansing ... I should probably reinstall Windows ?