Started at 20% frag, went then to 30% :(

valeriu28

Hello, so i used for the first time Defraggler last night on my windows partition which has around 40GB( out of 200gb ) + few programms . Health said : Good and it had around 20% fragmentation after i did a full defrag which lasted around 1hour 30 minutes it said 17%  frag , but after i analyzed it again before i turned off my PC it said 32% which i find really wierd . My windows is 8.2 . If any1 could tell me what means fragmentations or %fragmentations or a solve to this if i did something wrong cuz i went in with default settings ; Thank you  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, so i used for the first time Defraggler last night on my windows partition which has around 40GB( out of 200gb ) + few programms . Health said : Good and it had around 20% fragmentation after i did a full defrag which lasted around 1hour 30 minutes it said 17%  frag , but after i analyzed it again before i turned off my PC it said 32% which i find really wierd . My windows is 8.2 . If any1 could tell me what means fragmentations or %fragmentations or a solve to this if i did something wrong cuz i went in with default settings ; Thank you  :)

Did you move any data out of the hard drive, after the process? From what I've seen of my usage of the program (I am not a engineer so this is just what I observed and think is happening), the % of fragmentation is calculated by Total Size of Fragmented Files/Total USED Space. So, when I was doing the defragmentation, I moved space out of my hard drive because people said you need at least 15% of the drive free, I went from 56% fragmentation to 70%. This happens because, for example, if you have 300GB of files that are fragmented, and the total used space is 1000GB - even if your actually hard drive space might be 10 TB in total - you have 30% fragmentation. If, however, you remove 500GB from the hard drive, leaving used space as only 500GB, your hard drive will now be shown as 60% fragmented. I actually did the calculations to check this. But, again, I am not very familiar with defragmentation software so I could be wrong.

So, the percentage is now how much that particular partition is fragmented but how much of the used space is.

• Moderators

Windows 8.2 ???

Did you have Stop VSS and Exclude restore point and Exclude Hibernation file ticked ?

What is the File List tab showing that is causing the new fragmentation ?

If its the paging file, try a Boot Time Defrag to remedy that file.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.