Give an option for the old GUI (this is the sole topic for requesting the old GUI)

Special

You're only supposed to complain about CCleaner in this topic.  :P

Allot of software and hardware is unfortunately going down that route.

Wonder why that is?  Must be important since they are all doing it.  Startpage, the search engine is about to do the same thing.  

(Not a complaint, just a comment  :P )

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I like the old version GUI better. :)

Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive: macOS Catalina 10.15.7 
 iMac Clone and Backup with: SuperDuper, Time Machine & iCloud 
aka ~ "Popeye" on the Malwarebytes Forum.

I'm not a big fan of the new GUI either. Piriform force feeds you with something and then gets offended when people don't like the food. It's time to get a new cook with a clue.

Also, The GUI does not honor setting the height of the active Title Bar, which makes it stand out like a sore thumb next to other windows.

• Moderators

Nobody at piriform has made any comment in this thread so I'm not certain how you can say they got offended.

The moderator staff, those who have publicly expressed opinions, fall on either or any "side" of this conversation. They/I do not in any way work for Piriform. We are a random assortment of users, like yourself, who frequented here enough to be invited by a anonymous cabal of developers to"pick up the field mice and bop them on the head" (admonish misbehavers and contain unruly repetitive topics by creating stickies like this one) as well as "to turn bullies into Goons" (ban spam) .

Again I reiterate that the instator of this mass thread actually falls on the "side" of not liking the new GUI. And ive expressed my not caring about what this (or any) utility style application looks like as long as it does the function I require.

I'm pretty sure we are the only two thread posters who could possibly be mistaken as representative of piriform (reiterated that we are not), and neither of us are "offended".

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I don't think Piriform give a (care) about the people who use their software . Thats evident in this thread . I am now using (competitive product) instead . (Reference to actions of a construction worker) them .

( ) = Moderator edit. Due to foul language and mention of competition products by name. Removal of long quote which was unnecessary for post (and longer than it too) - nergal

I mistakenly downloaded the latest 5.04 portable version from v4.16 only to be met by this frankly hideous looking UI.

Luckily I found a site that has links for previous portable versions available for downlad. So I updated back down to v4.19.xxx, out with reshack, swap out the ini files from v5.04 and an updated db is now in use!

In fact I'm thinking of editing them down to only include lines relevant to programs I have, or am likely to have, installed on my PC. That'll speed it up a fair bit!

CC should stick to what it does best, cleans crap. Anything else is smoke screens hiding snake oil.

I am sight impaired.  To use the flat look ... OS or programs is making my working life very difficult

Two dimensional white on white -AND- no textured images (lack of implied 3 dimensional images) makes my working life very stressful.
-  the biggest failing with flat look is lack of a distinctive borders and distinctive controls, trying to remember which box is text and which is a control.

Sight impaired people don't want to be on the scrap heap of life when we want to be financially independent.

My new PC came with Win8 ... downgraded to Win7 with Classic Start and Classic Explorer ... I am still able to work.
I have tried "F'Lux" program (to reduce the glare of white), but I found it to be unreliable

Please give us some implied 3D texture

Thank you :)

I do not like the new [so-called modern] UI, it is butt ugly like windows 8

It is obviously an attempt to woo the windows 8+ crowd, there are none, check the stats

I will be sticking with the old, that's legacy version

I also plan to stick with Windows 7 until M$S and others make an O/S and programs not "apps" for a computer not toy's

@ "Sapien"

The FPS look - Flat Paper Shapes - emerged for a reason that can be summed up in one word - batteries 

Malwarebytes "flat" look is OK with me (not my favourite, but just OK) ... because the GUI window elements are easily identified visually.

I can also  understand how rendering windows on a portable device will use more battery power, so "flat" borderless look would be less demanding on power drawn (I assume).

- but phones rarely, if ever, have overlapping windows ... desktops are multi-skilled and can work with multiple windows visible.

I work on AutoCad all day.  A rig, 2 monitors.  I can have about 8 windows open and all visible.

My suggestion is for more distinctive GUI element borders on the CCleaner interface.

-  one white window overlapping coloured windows was bearable but now, so many apps are going down the "all-white" path. :blink:

- all white, overlapping windows increases eye fatigue and slows productivity.

90 years ago Henry Ford said "you can have any colour you like as long as it is black"

-  where would Ford be today if Henry's mantra still stood. :mellow:

The technical requirements of portable devices (phones) vs desktop machines are vastly different.

To my way of thinking a two option interface would be logical in this 21st century to suit the divergence of IT technologies.

-  I don't need to customize elements of Windows (how we could in Win95)

How anybody seriously "works" on a phone or "pad" is beyond me, poking at Lego blocks with foody-fingers.

But portable devices are a fact of life.

I did downgrade to CCleaner 4.19, and liked/loved the results window with a grid. :wub:

-  but 4.19 would not play with my browser (Palemoon) :angry: because 4.19 was released before Palemoon ceased to be a direct fork of Firefox.  CCleaner 5.04 recognises Palemoon.

-  I  intend looking at CCEnhancer with CC 4.19

:)

Of all the responses on this thread so far, there is no hint yet of a roll back to the old GUI look.

The word "lagacy" comes to mind, is this something MS is now trying to copy what Steve Jobs ( Apple) used in his marketing approach, non legacy principles ?

Is MS trying to copy this trend ?

Does this mean no matter how much we post here, they will not roll the GUI back ?

I can search and ask for my own BAT files to some extent, and still clean up what CC misses.

Why is that ?

I did post post code for DUI BAT files, but, hmm, the post got deleted ?? !!

. . . there is no hint yet of a roll back to the old GUI look.

I don't believe there'll be one cos only ~135 have complained now. Thousands of users haven't.

I for one like the new, clean mod look. And the program still runs good.

• Moderators

Thousands of users haven't.
10s of, if not hundreds of, thousands

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators
I did post post code for DUI BAT files, but, hmm, the post got deleted ?? !!

[sarcasm]

I wonder why a method explaining a (non-gui) method which would replace the software supported, officially-and-financially-run-by the developer of said software, forum and website, would be removed.

[/sarcasm]

:oThink about it, nobody is suing you if you provide said bat elsewhere on the internet, it's just not appropriate to post on this website, thus it was removed. :sigh:

I don't see any point to just a rollback ... BUT ... offer a two choice option1. Rollback style2. Flat look style... would be a reasonable compromise (IMHO)... or even an addon/plugin ? ([Voldemort] have been given the nod, without any warranty by Piriform)Not everyone will be pleased. There will always be unsatisfied users. Always!

only ~135 have complained now..
These are the people who have bothered (or even know how) to register their displeasure

Thousands of (CCleaner) users haven't (complained here).
"thousands" is an assumption not a fact.- to get a more real "dissatisfaction" number would require at least a "poll" but then that only captures visitors to this forum- then there are the entire user base of CCleaner, how many of them would even know where or how to register there displeasure- then there are the corporates -- the in house users might have an opinion but their management ignore/over-rule dissent.
One of my clients has 700+ PCs in one branch alone -- I wonder how many users are annoyed and management have 5,500 workstations throughout the country.- I doubt management would even blink at the suggestion of an inhouse poll.
I don't think ranting at Piriform will win their hearts.- personally I have founding grovelling and occasional sobbing sometimes works.Maybe Piriform have valid technical reasons for the "flat look" as I suggested in my post for phones and ~pads.- my suspicion is (sorry Mr/Ms Piriform) it is an industry "fad" ... as they say in AA "this too will pass"I just hope Piriform can see there are other users of CCleaner other than android and portable devices.There have been 15 million+ downloads of ClassicShell for Win7 and Win8 in the last 4 years..- not everyone likes the "flat look"[Moderator edit naming the unnamable-nergal)

• 2 weeks later...

I too absolutely despise the new UI and have since downgraded to 4.19. Not just because of the UI, but also because 5.05 performed horribly and was pathetically slow. But mostly because of the UI.

I also am quite disappointed by the response of people speaking on behalf of Piriform. In particular the asinine argument that only 135 have complained here. Which means they are comparing forum complaints to how many suspected users they have. However a more logical approach would be to compare how many people in the forum complained vs.. how many people in the same forum approved. You guys know very well better than 99% of your userbase is NOT registered in the forums and not participating in this discussion. You're being quite disingenuous with that argument. Bottom line is, not caring about what your user base wants is not a good way to win or keep users.

With that, I'm done with downloading any future Piriform software. Including Defraggler, Recuva and Speccy just on principle, despite those having not changed their GUI yet. Which in and of itself raises a question. If you guys at Piriform think your Metro'ish interface is so wonderful, why haven't you ruined all your products with it? 

• Moderators

There has been no response from people "speaking on behalf of Piriform". The only "people" you could be referring to are myself and one other moderator, as that is the closest to such in this thread. Neither of us are anything related to piriform more than any of the other members in this thread and the forum as a whole, we are only different in that we can garden the forum for rodents, weeds and misplaced threads.

As far as our opinions on this subject, he has said he agrees with "your side" and I've stated that aesthetics matter not to me as long as the program works.

To your point of the arguement that this thread represents only 135/100s-of-thousands, you've obviously misread the argument. Nobody has discounted that there are more people upset about this INDUSTRY-WIDE graphical scheme change from gloss and skeuomorphic to flat, which lowers cpu-cycle (power draw) and ram; it has been argued that this thread is a vocal minority of the entire universe of ccleaner/software users, and it is.

Finally you mentioned a performance issues you have had with ccleaner 5.x. while nothing about the application has per se changed which would cause handling of cleaning to differ, you may have a bug. In a normal case I'd say to switch to the latest version available and post a thread with your issue described as thoroughly as possible, but it sounds like, at least for now, you'd be unwilling to do that.

• Moderators
Newbie here: What is a GUI?

Graphic User Interface. Basically it means an Operating System that uses pictures (windows, Macintosh, xLinux) as opposed to text (dos, powershell, linux/unix terminal).

Just what Nergal said !

GUI = Graphical User Interface

UI = User Interface ... shorthand for GUI by some people

And in plain language what you see on the screen when using a program or application, images text, buttons etc

A user friendly interface

post-67365-0-18890600-1430537654_thumb.png

For experienced users the Command window

post-67365-0-74934700-1430537876_thumb.png

Some of us here are not impressed with the new "flat look" of CCleaner GUI ...  (including me)

-  I am rather hoping that some serious grovelling and fawning might soften the hearts of Piriform  ;) 

• 4 weeks later...