Give an option for the old GUI (this is the sole topic for requesting the old GUI)

Special

And kudos to DAOWAce in post 96, the first two paragraphs are right on the spot at least with how I feel being that I'm older.

It's okay gramps! I'll get you one of those walkers with the tennis balls on the feet :) retirement home brochures are coming in the mail! Don't worry, it's not too much change, it'll be just like home except with more people in your... condition.. You'll be so happy! ;)

Just joined the forum to add my vote to have a standard UI for WIN7 and earlier.

The new UI does not work for me.

I have managed to find an older version so will stick with that. Funny, but 4.19 managed to scan my PC in about a 10th of the time that V5 did.  Progress?

Just joined the forum to add my vote to have a standard UI for WIN7 and earlier.

The new UI does not work for me.

I have managed to find an older version so will stick with that. Funny, but 4.19 managed to scan my PC in about a 10th of the time that V5 did.  Progress?

somewhat OT but my experience WRT scan times has been the opposite, 5.+ is noticably faster, particularly for large recursive scans

". . .5.+ is noticably faster"

Same here on win xp.  Maybe not 5x faster, but noticeably faster. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 2 weeks later...

OK

I think Piriform have had long enough to fix the complete mess that is CCleaner 5's GUI

When are all the users currently stuck using version 4.19.4867  going to be given what they all want ?

that is, a choice of GUI  !       Its not much to ask is it ?

Who cares if its an extra couple of MB bigger . We all have GB and TB nowadays anyway .

Ccleaner 5 GUI is a complete fail .  Ugly as windows 10 is gonna be .   That will also be a complete failure , mark my words.

Just registered to post this,

Like quite a few, I have used and admired CCleaner and it's extreme handyness for many years. Your software is outstanding, performs just like the label says and even better (if you use CCEnhancer/winapp2.ini). As a veteran user, may I request you either A. Remove the GUI (not fix/alter, just remove) or B. Allow a choice to the end user to either use standard window or a custom GUI. I tend to dislike it when software forces it's own GUI. We don't hate your GUI, we just don't care nor need it. Why bulk up CCleaner now anyhow?

With regards and a handshake,

fuzzydorito.

Yes, it's an old topic now at six pages in length, but we might as well keep it alight in case the developers ever consider this thread as worthwhile.

In addition to the bland, mistaken (IMHO) look of the *etro GUI, CCleaner has a number of serious deficiencies, in my book. In Microsoft's book too, I might add, given that CC has broken a large number of Microsoft's design rules - rules that have evolved to the state they're in for good reason.

The FPS look - Flat Paper Shapes - emerged for a reason that can be summed up in one word - batteries.

As touch-tablet devices developed, it was found that overlapping windows and shading cues demanded far too much energy to display and control, so FPS was deemed the interface that would take the least amount of power while providing a usable and interesting experience. What drove the benighted executives at Microsoft to insult and ignore the gigantic masses of existing GUI users of XP, Vista and WIn 7, we may never know. They're probably all now contemplating their own thought processes down on river banks somewhere, fishing, having been swiftly separated from such further potential folly soon after Nadella's arrival.

For 90%+ of the world, the change to FPS wasn't necessary; indeed, it was quite unnecessary. And Microsoft is reverting, as we speak.

Yet, amid all the trauma and strife, here we are presented with the FPS interface in CC - and it still doesn't incorporate the functionality of a menu/ribbon (hidden or not), a Help facility that reacts to F1 (established as standard before Lotus 1-2-3?), the slightest hint as to what a cue or control within the interface might do (hover-over tips, perhaps?), disambiguation of the list items ..so as to give confidence in choosing, contrasting colours in text, an Exit (gracefully) control (wha!), and the most fundamental reason for its existence - cleaning up space - presented in type large and obvious enough not to require squinting: '999 MB to be removed' (saying nothing of the grammar) - after the Analyze run.

As with the *etro interface, and the decision to impose it upon the world, CCleaner has become an ugly beast, albeit one that does a job adequately-to-well. But we should be able to hope for something different, to better, surely? I step around the interface tentatively even to this day. S Jobs, Esq's mantra was that the program should speak its purpose 'out loud'. Intuitive. Not here.

Until the developers react, our only option is to avoid buying the product and search for alternatives. In that regard, the convoluted offer of a free or discounted purchase last year was a disgrace in the annals of marketing, IMO. I, for one, wish for more.

2/c

To me, version 5 is no better than version 4, and everything is laid out the same in the interface.  However, the GUI looks awful in version 5 because there is way too much white space, and the lack of color makes the columns/sections somewhat indistinguishable from one another.  The outlines for checkboxes in the Windows/Applications column are faint and not easy to see... having a color background for the column (such as a blue that is lighter than the blue for the buttons) would help, and it is a very easy fix.  The results/right column would also look better if it had some color.

If they aren't going to give an option to use the version 4 GUI in version 5, then they really need to add in some color for the version 5 GUI so that everything isn't so pale and white.

Ok, yet another new poster registering to kavetch about the flat UI - here's my spin on it:

I've been involved with computers since the mid 1970s - way before most people even knew what one was. Built an IMSAI, cut my teeth on a TRS-80, etc, etc, etc. Needless to say, I've seen all kinds of fads come and go (remember when Micro$oft wanted their OS to look like the web?), self fufilling prophocies (C language), etc, etc.

My speculation is that the dev team has a case of religion. I've seen lots of religion in this field over the years - indeed, I had a company "shot out from under me" because they ignored reality and pushed their religion. Another good example of religion is Steve Jobs and his one button mice - when Apple finally threw in the towel on the one button mice that everyone was throwing away, they got around the religious objections by designing a 2 button mouse that looked like a 1 button mouse. Whatever...

There's a chunk of upper management at Micro$oft who found themselves on the outside looking in when their religion didn't pan out with no start menu, etc, etc, etc. Now we have ccleaner that is becoming bloatware with features no-one asked for (active monitoring, who needs/wants yet another daemon running?), but at least such items can be ignored and/or turned off as desired. Except one: The ugly UI. Methinks they're digging in their heels on this issue because someone bought into Ballmer's belief system lock, stock, and barrel - never mind that Ballmer is no longer at Micro$oft.

Whatever. They'll either change it, or they won't. The program is still usable, albeit hard to see. Apple and Micro$oft both are trending towards low contrast, hard to see UIs, even though its been proven time and time again that white backgrounds with dark text are NOT a good display choice for technology that emits light - as virtually all computer displays do.  I've watched the PC industry ignore and/or bastardize every standard they've ever touched  - but I digress.

At the very least, I'd ask the developers to at least use better contrast and less bright backgrounds (read: NO white). Microsoft's own design rules suggest inheriting whatever the system settings are (NOT that even M$ follows consistently).

Nice post, Zorba.  Calm, insightful, well reasoned.  Very refreshing. 

I would say it another way, that the Piriform team has adopted a new zeitgeist.

Sometimes this happens because of the introduction of a single influential individual, sometimes it just sort of evolves. 

The onus is on management to make sure such changes are beneficial.

If the new GUI is actually driving away customers (not just the frenetic few who have become unhinged because of it), the developers are likely aware of that.

However, even the astute can miss the signs. 

Xerox probably invented the GUI and the desktop, but didn't make much money from it. 

The Swiss watch industry almost went toes up because they insisted that a watch must have springs and wheels, not quartz crystals.

CCleaner is a very good software, imho, and I personally don't care much about appearance, function is more important. 

However i do agree that the color scheme is a bit stark. 

Maybe they'll soften it up a bit. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I've watched the PC industry ignore and/or bastardize every standard they've ever touched

Like the PC monitor aspect ratio, which I'm still flabbergasted by and salty over. Where's my damn 120Hz 16:10 monitors?! (I currently use a 21:9 because there's no way I was downgrading to 16:9; 99% of websites and programs are still vertical, not to mention the difficulty playing older games which scale perfectly on 16:10 displays.)

I like the nod to religion too, but I suspect some fanatics will get upset by it. Oh well.

Like the PC monitor aspect ratio, which I'm still flabbergasted by and salty over. Where's my damn 120Hz 16:10 monitors?! (I currently use a 21:9 because there's no way I was downgrading to 16:9; 99% of websites and programs are still vertical, not to mention the difficulty playing older games which scale perfectly on 16:10 displays.)

I like the nod to religion too, but I suspect some fanatics will get upset by it. Oh well.

Movies are the culprit here I suspect. Widescreen really messed with the consumer monitor industry's resolutions (which were scaling very quickly up until flat panels became a thing) IIRC

Yes, the new GUI is rank. Mono colors, tabs blend in with column headers, and just an overall flat look.

Once the hype of the Windows 8 look dies down, I'll enjoy a nice 3D interface once again. Maybe in about 8 to 10 years, after the Windows 10 hype too.

Who ever figured 'flat is in' should be shot.

Still no option in 5.04... Still buggy, still awful, unfortunately :wacko:

We're wasting our time on these forums, I think. <_< Since november we're waiting for an option to roll back to the "old" (but nice) GUI !

Oh noooooo. Malwarebytes has jumped on the GUI lemming bandwagon too.

Gone are the nice "3D shaded" buttons.

Flat is taking over the world.

Agree... Can't accept this. They don't respect the wishes from the users / buyers.

• Moderators

Oh noooooo. Malwarebytes has jumped on the GUI lemming bandwagon too.

You're only supposed to complain about CCleaner in this topic.  :P

Allot of software and hardware is unfortunately going down that route.

You are evidently ignoring the many requests to dump this ugly new interface. The white space makes CCleaner physically painful to use. Come on folks, your customers are all but begging you to fix this. The old GUI was beautiful. Why would you destroy the look and feel of your flagship application just to make it look like Metro? Almost no one likes Metro, which is why Windows 7 remains the dominant OS. The old GUI had character and style. The current GUI looks as if it were designed by a rank amateur. Why should we be expected to use an application when it hurts our eyes? I would appreciate a response.