5.0 UI is a step backwards

Digerati

Like others, I only created an account to say how much I hate the new UI. Please, Piriform, don't follow this hideous flat trend.

Insults aside, one argument in favor of the apparently much-hated flat style of today is that it's "calmer" and easier on the eyes. I've always felt fancy 3D effects, glass, etc to make my desktop look very busy and stressful, while the flat style is less intrusive. Secondly, the flat style reminds me of pictograms, the point of which is to be simple to understand, universal and obvious.

Going too far with 3D effects and transparency is one thing but a completely flat style (i.e. removing shadows and gradients like Windows 8 did) means you need stark color contrasts and huge borders (as well as huge fonts in the Settings interface) to make things out, to know what's clickable or what's on top. I don't see how that, added to the extra-sharp edges and corners, make Windows 8 "calmer" or "easier on the eyes".

And flat pictograms aren't by nature any "more simple to understand, universal and obvious" than other icons. They're just commonly used and accepted stylized forms, which has nothing to do with flatness. If you're not familiar with some of them, the lack of shadows and gradients is actually one less tool to convey what they're supposed to represent.

Things like buttons and windows should always be rendered according to the host OS, not with some custom style. People using Win7 then get their glossy stuff and people with Win8 get their flat style. Everyone happy and less work for the devs. [...] If Piriform hadn't gone down the path of using custom UI skins, none of us would be here. They should just stick to standards and let the OS draw the UI as per its own settings, then everyone gets what they want.

This at least I can agree with. I didn't spend all this time reskinning Windows 8 (preinstalled on my laptop) with 3rd party themes and tools to be be stuck with this ugly UI anyway.

:( Thumbs down for the flat look

On a busy desktop flatness blends into everything else on the screen

-  to many times I don't know what is a dialog or another panel on "which?" open program

-  at times very confusing and a time waster trying to find what window/dialog has the focus

An UI option would be helpful -- flat and classical

-  then most of us would be happy

-  I appreciate not everyone will be happy

It isn't rocket science that MS have paid dearly $$$ for their gaffs with Win-8

-  ClassicShell are providing gazillions of PC users with "classic" desktop, Start menu and Windows Explorer

BUT CCleaner is by far (IMO) an excellent product -- but -- a lot of us work on rigs all day

-  AutoCad (and many other engineering programs) were never designed for touch screens

Debating aside, something tells me a lot of you have really poor eyes. I have none of the issues you guys list with flat coloring - not knowing which window has focus, where borders are, reading text, etc. There's also a big difference between general flat UI and the failure of a UI that came with Ccleaner 5, which indeed has very unclear coloring and such.

http://puu.sh/dO0M7/72f8d28e14.png <- a properly done flat UI

• Moderators

I have eaten dog meat, snake and insects but I don't assume every one one should like it too !

Off topic however that sounds just like my late Vietnam war veteran uncle, he talked about having to eat such things when in Vietnam.