5.0 UI is a step backwards

Digerati

Windows XP Fisher Price UI scheme?  :lol:

Well, right now we'd take Fisher Price, Mattel or Tonka over the 5.00 GUI.

I guess if there is a positive it's that this latest 5.00 GUI look is bound to be rock bottom.  It's hard to believe the next thing that comes along could be worse.

• Moderators

No one seems to remember that when Windows XP came out, it was accused of having a "fisher price" UI scheme.

Disney World, and Mickey Mouse too. The default blue and green themes in XP do look very childish and awful in general.

Disney World, and Mickey Mouse too. The default blue and green themes in XP do look very childish and awful in general.

Windows XP Fisher Price UI scheme?  :lol:

Well, right now we'd take Fisher Price, Mattel or Tonka over the 5.00 GUI.

I guess if there is a positive it's that this latest 5.00 GUI look is bound to be rock bottom.  It's hard to believe the next thing that comes along could be worse.

Here's a post from 2002 - one of many! http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/27037-Resource-Meter-for-WIndows-XP?s=8fc934b99ff928a68a1076fbc257a192&p=137190&viewfull=1#post137190

It's a thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add to this - even registered on the forum after never having a reason to for many years, to post this. 

I have also used CCleaner for many many years, donated and now bought the professional version just before this happened.  The new UI is awful, but so is Windows 8  /metro.  We finally after waiting many years get an OS for PC (Windows 7) that uses your fantastic 3D GPU card most people have.  Then immediately after that, MS in their infinite wisdom switch to using flat dull lifeless tiles - boring schemes, simplified below fisher price standard even,  and worse is that everyone thinks that MS couldn't possibly be wrong so they all jump in with metro.  Massive step backwards for all programs.

There are many UI design problems and mistakes in new CCleaner now and many well pointed out by Aelius73, but overall it's just very dull and a step backwards in usability let alone depressing ;)

Give us cool stuff if we have to look at it regularly, not dull stuff my old 386 could run.

For me, it is not so much the layout as the colours. This seems to be part of a general trend with software and web designers towards a very light colour scheme. I think that they are attempting to drive all of us older people, with poorer eye sight, away.

It wouldn't be so bad if the system colours were used as we could then tailor it to our liking.

Brian

I too agree BrianH, I posted in another topic the same as you say about us older people and hard to see. 

I was moved here too because of the new v5 update. After the first installation, I was struck by the pale and flat design. What a departure from the familar, clear and efficient design. Seems that a lot of people have the same issue too. That I wasn't too keen about the new monitoring portion of the program introduce earlier which is always in memory and doesn't go away after closing CC (you can desable this, but it's hidden in the options)

I used CCleaner for years now and it was doing it's job properly but this update just made me look around for an alternative and guess what ? there are now much better ones and free too. Of course we can't name them here but I moved on to a better one which dramatically found a lot more useless stuff while still remaining safe. Sadly Piriform has push me away from their software and that's a bad marketing decision. You don't change a product that is well accepted and work well. All this storm would have been avoid by simply providing a user choice. The same reason why Windows 8 has been an unnecessary desaster.

Registered as well to relay my disappointment with the new UI.

I've downgraded to the last 4.x version, and will be looking for alternative software soon if there is no optional legacy skin in the next few versions.

Thank you for the great software i've used over the years, but the new interface does not fit my win7 aero theme in any way.

• Moderators

I figured I would post here.... I actually posted this to staff before posting here, but it does apply here.

Here is my honest opinion...

I have never had any problems with 5 and I really like it. Yes, the GUI does look weird when using Windows 7, but the function of CCleaner works beautifully. When using CCleaner 5 with Windows 10, it looks, and feels like the scheme of Windows. When going back to CCleaner 5 on Windows 7, it seems like the GUI makes sense now, and it doesn't effect my feelings that much. It's all about moving forward, Windows 8 and Windows 10 will soon be the standard. As long as the function is there, the GUI shouldn't matter that much.

I have supported CCleaner since the beginning. With every major GUI change there has been complaints, but they adapted it to quickly. It may have it's GUI bugs and so on. But, it will be fixed. Sad thing is, I remember being the only staff member, and MrG sending me a beta for the new GUI change in CCleaner 1 version. People don't like change, but change is always going to happen.

Look at Windows, every new OS has had a complete GUI overhaul. People complain about every one of them, but still use it. I know it sucks, but as a business stand point. You have to keep up or die out. Piriform is making the right move, but you can't except everyone to be happy about it.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

Forcing an ugly Windows 8 style titlebar on the majority of currently installed Windows systems (that is Windows 7 with Aero)) is definitely NOT the right move. Making text harder to read by using grey is NOT the right move. Having a big white area where a dialog box is no longer visible as such (due to its missing border frame) is NOT the right move.

All this just plain stupid.

I for one went back to version 4 and will stay there as long as possible. And it is not that the small improvements in 5 and upcoming versions really make a difference anymore - CC is effective enough in 4.19 for the next years.

> CCleaner 5.0 will make a fine addition to the PowerPoint slides of experts who illustrate to programmers what sort of UX/UI disasters to avoid.

> Perhaps the CCleaner developer(s) responsible for this train wreck would like to attend such lessons.

That really made my day. Thanks Aelius!

I figured I would post here.... I actually posted this to staff before posting here, but it does apply here.

Look at Windows, every new OS has had a complete GUI overhaul. People complain about every one of them, but still use it.

Have a look at windows 8 numbers. the interface is what caused win 8.1 and what drove the start menu back in win 10. win 8 was a flop for microsoft, do not underestimate the power of the consumer base.

Have a look at windows 8 numbers. the interface is what caused win 8.1 and what drove the start menu back in win 10. win 8 was a flop for microsoft, do not underestimate the power of the consumer base.

Exactly , and that's why there are so many users who stuck to XP and Windows 7 .

Like a previous poster said, none of it really makes sense when all the  CPU and GPU's are getting faster , that the interface in programs is  getting more basic and ugly.  I don't get it at all.

Exactly , and that's why there are so many users who stuck to XP and Windows 7 .

Like a previous poster said, none of it really makes sense when all the  CPU and GPU's are getting faster , that the interface in programs is  getting more basic and ugly.  I don't get it at all.

Because there's no point wasting that power on unnecessary bloat. And there are people who prefer a flat style over all that glossy stuff.

So I guess we are to extract that after having released Windows Vista and Windows 7, Microsoft suddenly went ... OMG!  We sooo shouldn't have gone there.  We should have never made Windows fancy.  That was a huge mistake.  We're not smart enough to make an Operating System that's great, fast and awesome-looking.  Let's sacrifice the LOOK so that we can still come up with an Operating System that's useful, great and still fast.

It is an insult to the word "modern" to have it be associated with the flat, ugly, pastel, lazy look / style that extremely unfortunately seems to be becoming the norm.  I guess software companies save a lot of money by going this childish, kindergarten, back to the 90s look.

It is the equivalent of if the Powers That Be at the movie studios suddenly decided that using all the advanced, latest Special Effects of today were too expense and time-consuming and thus, they were going to go back to the Special Effects of the original Twilight Zone and Lost in Space days.

It just makes no sense to have made such astronomical strides in this area and then just decide to go back almost 2 decades in technology.

Insults aside, one argument in favor of the apparently much-hated flat style of today is that it's "calmer" and easier on the eyes. I've always felt fancy 3D effects, glass, etc to make my desktop look very busy and stressful, while the flat style is less intrusive. Secondly, the flat style reminds me of pictograms, the point of which is to be simple to understand, universal and obvious.

Once again, I'm only speaking about the flat style here, not the fact that the new UI has custom element and window decoration. Things like buttons and windows should always be rendered according to the host OS, not with some custom style. People using Win7 then get their glossy stuff and people with Win8 get their flat style. Everyone happy and less work for the devs.

If you want your glossy stuff, then stick to Win7, you're not missing anything. 8 is just 7 with new visuals. Stop bashing something you don't need to care about. If Piriform hadn't gone down the path of using custom UI skins, none of us would be here. They should just stick to standards and let the OS draw the UI as per its own settings, then everyone gets what they want.

Once again, I'm only speaking about the flat style here, not the fact that the new UI has custom element and window decoration. Things like buttons and windows should always be rendered according to the host OS, not with some custom style. People using Win7 then get their glossy stuff and people with Win8 get their flat style. Everyone happy and less work for the devs.

If you want your glossy stuff, then stick to Win7, you're not missing anything. 8 is just 7 with new visuals. Stop bashing something you don't need to care about. If Piriform hadn't gone down the path of using custom UI skins, none of us would be here. They should just stick to standards and let the OS draw the UI as per its own settings, then everyone gets what they want.

Thumbs up to all you said there  ;)

I also registered just to comment about the new visual aspect of CCleaner 5.0x.

Please, please, PLEASE!!! bring back a visible "Sizing border" to your program.  I can put up with the stark white and clunky style (it stinks, but is mostly useable), but I use the sizing border visually to indicate to me which window has the "focus" so I know where keystrokes are going to go.  On my system the sizing border is just outside of the CCleaner window and can be used to resize the window, but it is totally transparent and so does not change color to indicate that the window has the focus, and neither does the title bar.  (I alter my Windows parameters to have the active window have a red border and I get rid of the translucent candy-sweet aspect of the Desktop and program windows that has been the default since "Vista"... mine looks much like Windows 98SE and I like it that way... battleship gray, square borders and fully functional visuals and a minimum of silly distractions and wasted space!)

I also find that with just two "tabs" in a window, it is hard to know which tab is the active one.  This is similar to my smartaleckphone, TV setup screen and my car DashCam, when they have a "Yes"/"No" type of response option to something; I can't tell which is the "selected" one... one is dark and the other is light, but which is going to be selected when I hit "Enter"?  On the TV it is the Light one, on the Smartaleckphone it is the Dark one... I think,  I haven't setup the DashCam often enough to remember which way it is.

And as an aside... I apologize for lying to you when I created this account.  I have not read the "Terms and Conditions" (yet), even though I put a check mark in the little box that says I did... but that is because your website would not let me off the "Account Creation" page to view the "Terms and Conditions".   I had to check the box and then click to create the account FIRST, then I came here to read this thread and post my comment and PLEA.  I will go try to find the "Terms and Conditions" to read them now and I hope I have not violated them at this point.

And as an aside... I apologize for lying to you when I created this account.  I have not read the "Terms and Conditions" (yet), even though I put a check mark in the little box that says I did... but that is because your website would not let me off the "Account Creation" page to view the "Terms and Conditions".   I had to check the box and then click to create the account FIRST, then I came here to read this thread and post my comment and PLEA.  I will go try to find the "Terms and Conditions" to read them now and I hope I have not violated them at this point.

Nobody reads terms & conditions.... It's always a bunch of lawyerspeak to state the overly obvious nobody needs to hear. If we had to read those things every time we had to, we'd die of old age before getting anything done. If only they'd include basic "translations" that only contain the essential stuff in words we could all understand... Like what Creative Commons does with their licenses.

My personal opinion

23t1kjt.jpg

*Metro, not all of Win8.

This is 8:

ba9e3070a7.jpg

I use a hotkey->keyword launcher as I've always found the start menu to be an annoying way to find programs anyway. My custom start menu only has the stuff I need it to have.

Like is disabled. You can't like anything.  :P

we need a big fat dislike button :Dis urgently needed in facebook B)  more fat than big

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

Hi all,

I'd like, however, to give Piriform some credits.

If I have to choose between an *ugly* UI and a badly designed feature (active monitoring, in this case), I could live with an ugly UI - which is subjective, plus that I don't live with it 24/7.

The new UI did give some confusions, but it's not difficult to get used to it, and I am extremly happy and appreciate for the fact that Piriform has made the "auto start active monitoring" much easier to deactivate.

In any case, it's just a personal opinion.

Thanks for listening to the users for major functional improvements.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Insults aside, one argument in favor of the apparently much-hated flat style of today is that it's "calmer" and easier on the eyes. I've always felt fancy 3D effects, glass, etc to make my desktop look very busy and stressful, while the flat style is less intrusive. Secondly, the flat style reminds me of pictograms, the point of which is to be simple to understand, universal and obvious.

Maybe calmer to you on the eyes but my mother does not have good vision and trying to TELL WHERE THE D@MN BUTTON IS ON A FLAT!  Is not easier on the eyes but very stressful!