Registry Scan Problems

T. W.

CCleaner's Registry Scan is finding the same 35 keys everytime it scans and then deletes them. Upon opening regedit and finding and clicking on the keys it says "Cannot open [key name]. Error found while opening." The same occurs while trying to delete the key but "open" and "opening" are replaced with "delete" and "deleting." A picture of around 33 of the keys is attached. The highlighted ones I believe to be CCleaner Keys, which may be the problem.

Any help to solving the problem is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

post-4216-1140368042_thumb.jpg

post-4216-1140368042_thumb.jpg

CCleaner's Registry Scan is finding the same 35 keys everytime it scans and then deletes them. Upon opening regedit and finding and clicking on the keys it says "Cannot open [key name]. Error found while opening." The same occurs while trying to delete the key but "open" and "opening" are replaced with "delete" and "deleting." A picture of around 33 of the keys is attached. The highlighted ones I believe to be CCleaner Keys, which may be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm... not really sure about this one. CCleaner finding its own keys is definitely not a good thing. A few questions:

1. Have you ever used any previous versions of CCleaner?

2. Has this problem with invalid issues just started recently, or has it been happening since you installed this version (1.27) of CCleaner?

3. When you receive and remove these listed issues, do you rescan for issues immediately, or do you run other programs first?

My first suggestion would be to restart your computer, boot into Safe Mode, uninstall & then reinstall CCleaner, and then boot back into Normal Mode and see if that solves the problem.

If that doesn't work, I at least have a possible cause for the persistent issues that do not pertain to CCleaner. I would say that the program which is creating these issues in the first place is simply recreating them once you run it again. Or, if the app is already running in the background, it may be recreating them as soon as they are removed. Perhaps try checking 'Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours', assuming it is unchecked (this box is under Options > Advanced).

Let me know what happens.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Thanks in advance.

Hey T.W.!

Can't see the picture so I don't know what the keys are. Why do you you think that they're CCleaner's reg keys? I agree with Lokoike...the program causing the issues is re-registering the keys (probably). But something else is off, and I'm not sure what is is.

Follow lokoike's instructions, then run CCleaner and Fix Selected Issues. Then close CCleaner. Reopen CCleaner and Scan for Issues again. Are they still there? If so...what are they?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Here is the screenshot, blown up a little:

CCleaner-T.jpg

The non-CCleaner issues listed have to do with DirectPlay, which is a component of DirectX. To prevent these items from coming up, I would also suggest downloading the newest version of DirectX 9c; you can get it here. This may clear up those issues as well.

But make sure to try out the previous suggestions first!

ding, ding!

Thanks for the clear screenshot lokoike. That cleared up a lot of my questions.

Hey T! Where did you download your recent version of CCleaner from? (I know it's a long shot, but worth a shot all the same) ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Here is how you fix this:

1: Download: Dial-a-fix (full version)

2: Tools > Repair permissions > GO

:D

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Sorry for not posting back. I've tried the uninstall/reinstall a few times, but I never went into safe mode, I downloaded CCleaner from File Hippo, and I've done the same for the previous two (three?) versions as well (since I began using it). I'm downloading the DirectX 9.0c right now (49 megs, yikes!). I'll try safe mode tomorrow or maybe the day after, and then I'll post another screen of any issues that continue to appear.

These Issues aren't appearing on other Users on this computer. But there are other's from the other User that don't appear on this one.

I don't want to try that last download until I have no other options. Simply because I'd rather try everything else that can be done involving CCleaner and programs I already have (DirectX).

Definitely another post this coming week.

Maybe CCleaner should scan over the entire computer rather than just that users folders.

MrG: It's not a bug in CCleaner, it's just a registry permissions problem. It's caused most often by Norton 2006 products.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Sorry for not posting back. I've tried the uninstall/reinstall a few times, but I never went into safe mode, I downloaded CCleaner from File Hippo, and I've done the same for the previous two (three?) versions as well (since I began using it). I'm downloading the DirectX 9.0c right now (49 megs, yikes!). I'll try safe mode tomorrow or maybe the day after, and then I'll post another screen of any issues that continue to appear.

These Issues aren't appearing on other Users on this computer. But there are other's from the other User that don't appear on this one.

I don't want to try that last download until I have no other options. Simply because I'd rather try everything else that can be done involving CCleaner and programs I already have (DirectX).

Definitely another post this coming week.

Maybe CCleaner should scan over the entire computer rather than just that users folders.

Updating your DirectX is good, and all but it will not fix your problem. DjLizard's suggestion using Dial-A-Fix to fix your permissions will fix your problem.

And yes, I think everyone wants CCleaner to include all users. ;)

Updating your DirectX is good, and all but it will not fix your problem. DjLizard's suggestion using Dial-A-Fix to fix your permissions will fix your problem.

And yes, I think everyone wants CCleaner to include all users. ;)

The reason I suggested the DirectX update was due to the fact that other than the CCleaner entries, most of the other entries pertained to his version of DirectX. I figured an update would replace most of those invalid entries (not to mention updating it is just good practice).

But yeah, I have a feeling (and hope) that DAC will fix up the bulk of his problems.

ding, ding!

The reason I suggested the DirectX update was due to the fact that other than the CCleaner entries, most of the other entries pertained to his version of DirectX. I figured an update would replace most of those invalid entries (not to mention updating it is just good practice).

But yeah, I have a feeling (and hope) that DAC will fix up the bulk of his problems.

I see. I didn't pay any attention to the other entries, and I forgot that you suggested the update. I couldn't figure out why he was updating it, but now I understand. :D

If I had remembered your suggestion his post wouldn't have confused me. Sorry lokoike I didn't mean so sound under-minding...just a moment of forgetfullness. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up. :P