Office 365 now unlimited storage

rridgely

• Moderators

Anyone else using Office 365? For $8 a month on the personal plan you get unlimited one drive storage, 1 pc with full office suite, iPad/Android office software(iPad app is way better). Personally I think its a pretty killer deal but I have come to pretty much rely on OneDrive/Ms Office for my entire work life. I had a subscription through my college but now I have to pay the monthly price. 

The unlimited storage thing is brand new. You can find the info here:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/27/7078397/microsoft-unlimited-onedrive-storage-office-365

In comparison google offers 1tb of storage for about $10 a month and you don't get Office obviously.(I guess you could consider google Docs but thats free to everyone). 

• Moderators

I gave it a spin for about 6 months recently and overall found it great, and as you say, for the price, a great way to get Office.

I've since moved on to Office 2013 which is all 365 is, just on a monthly subscription.

But the other little differences that bugged me was the whole 'click-to-run' approach with 365.

A lot of things don't get loaded when you install 365 and when you do need them (say converting a DOC file to CVS as an example), the software would stall and a little 'Please wait while that feature is streamed' message would appear in the status window.

No biggie, but on a crap web connection, it was a little pain that happened surprisingly often.  I may not have persevered long enough, but I got impression when it did stream some needed feature, it wouldn't keep it, and re-streamed it if it ever needed it again.

Another 'problem' that comes to mind was the mailto: association.  I couldn't get the association to work and couldn't even make Outlook the default email program, just wouldn't appear in the Default Programs list.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I joined up for the year subscription, downloaded the offer link, ran it, it did the 4 step install process and pow, Office 365.

So whatever that gave me is what I used.

The install process doesn't give you any options, like, default or custom install.

The Word, Excel etc programs were on my PC, it just seemed to every now and then, decide to stream some feature it must of needed off the web.

• Moderators

Thats so strange. I've never had it do that before.

I have had it say "Streaming additional content" If I used it while it was installing for the first time. It allows you to use it before it is fully installed. But I've never had it do that once it was fully installed.

• Moderators

I think that was my message as well (at least it rings a bell).

I know what you mean about using it while it was still 'installing' but I actually held off and waited like 2 hours for the download to finish (slow internet and all) and when the process was finished I started using it.

But I was still getting those messages (admittedly maybe only one a day, or perhaps every second day) right up to when I upgrade to 2013, so a good 6 months after the initial install.

If I had a nice internet speed, I probably would not of even noticed except for a flash of some message and wondering "What was that?".