CCleaner starts on startup

Nocy123

• Moderators

Monitoring is now called smart cleaning

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 7 months later...
  • Admin
4 hours ago, Mariosp said:

CCleaner starts everytime I turn on the computer, even if I uncheck startup programs AND I deactivate smart clean everytime with admin. Why?

To confirm:

• Which CCleaner and windows versions are you using?
  • Options > Settings > Run CCleaner when the computer starts is off?
  • Options > Smart Cleaning > Enable Smart Cleaning is off?
  • When you say that CCleaner starts, you are seeing the CCleaner window appearing or CCleaner appearing in the system tray?  Or do you mean that ccupdate.exe is appearing in task manager?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 6 months later...

There are three things to do to completely disable it:

1. In Options -> Settings, turn off the "Launch CCleaner app window each time the computer starts" option

2. In Options -> Smart Cleaning, first turn off "Tell me when there are junk files to clean" and then turn off "Enable Smart Cleaning", then click on yes on the confirmation window.

3. In Options -> Updates, turn both options off.

If you do only the first and/or second steps, CCleaner adds itself to the startup list when you launch it.

I registered an account just so I can chime in on this cause we are all having the same issue. I have been using CCleaner for years as an IT Consultant and it seems that this company has started doing dirty practices as far as forcing CCleaner to run in startup even with the options all disabled. You guys need to change that before a lawsuit comes your way. Also forcing people to have your stupid browser install even when you uncheck the options is pretty shady. CCleaner is forcing bloatware now instead of cleaning the computer. I no longer recommend this software to my clients. You lost business on that one. I will be making a stream video of this and posting it on my stream good job guys!

• Admin

58 minutes ago, Coldboot said:

forcing CCleaner to run in startup even with the options all disabled

No we don't.  This has been answered somewhere else already, but I am assuming that you either have Smart Cleaning or automatic updates switched on?  It's the Options > Smart Cleaning > Enable Smart Cleaning switch if you don't want CCleaner resident checking for things to clean and Options > Updates > Keep CCleaner updated automatically switch if you don't want CCleaner resident checking for updates.

58 minutes ago, Coldboot said:

browser install even when you uncheck the options is pretty shady

The CCleaner Browser suggestion is an accept/decline option.  Not a checkbox.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2020 at 22:53, Dave CCleaner said:

No we don't.  This has been answered somewhere else already, but I am assuming that you either have Smart Cleaning or automatic updates switched on?  It's the Options > Smart Cleaning > Enable Smart Cleaning switch if you don't want CCleaner resident checking for things to clean and Options > Updates > Keep CCleaner updated automatically switch if you don't want CCleaner resident checking for updates.

I have disabled all this and also 'Launch app when computer starts' yet I am still finding an icon in the system tray every day.

But if I open it then close it, it doesn't close down to the system tray and seemingly closes completely.

When I run msconfig to check the start up I see there is 'CCleaner' in there with a tick, so it seems that despite what you say it is indeed running will all options disabled.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, goldberg said:

I have disabled all this and also 'Launch app when computer starts' yet I am still finding an icon in the system tray every day.

@goldberg

We have seen this System Tray icon persistence in a couple of cases.
It seems to be an issue with the task not always being removed from the Windows Task scheduler as it should be, so for a few people the task starts up again if/when you reboot your machine.
(Which in turn seems to depend on just how the update to 5.74 was done, and in what order the new CCleaner settings were changed).

Following the 4 steps, in order, from this post should clear it up:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/59567-cleaner-5748198-runs-smart-cleaning-even-though-i-unchecked-smart-cleaning/?tab=comments#comment-325149

If you need help with Task manager or Task Scheduler then give a shout and we can go through it step-by-step.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043