Latest Version 4.18.4842 (with Monitor)

darkrats

I've used the free CCleaner for many years, and was never disappointed until now.

Version 4.18.4842 now allows system monitoring (under options). This is a deal breaker for me.

The thing I liked about the free version was it's simplicity.

With the latest version, you need to allow internet access to use the system monitor option.

With the latest version, you can't close the program by clicking on the X, it just shrinks to the system tray.

With the latest version, it makes a startup entry (msconfig) even when monitoring is turned off.

The subtle padlocks next to the monitoring options seems like an advertising push to get us to upgrade.

I know my opinion is not going to change the direction this nice utility seems to be going, but maybe others feel the same.

It's just not the simple, useful tool that it was just a day ago.

Why do the creators of this software feel the need to tinker with something that was perfect?

• Moderators

like with any software that allows you to customise it, simply turn off the feature you don't want/need.

luckily they have made it a user-controlled option, so that's good as I'll be making sure it's off.

it's like the dangerous File Finder process they implement ages ago, it wasn't for me but that didn't stop me using CC, it's a great little program.

Why do the creators of this software feel the need to tinker with something that was perfect?

I guess they are trying to give their clients something they have been asking for (according to the official release blurb).

It's all part of software evolution and sometimes, some people aren't going to be happy.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Checked another thread and found you have to turn off Active Monitoring and then go to the Advanced Tab and turn it off there too.

Then CCleaner seems to work the way it's suppose to for use Free users. I really dislike software that do their job only if you allow internet access.

Unlike browsers etc. that are designed to use the net, system utilities should be able to run whether or not you have a connection.

Please (ccleaner creators) don't play around with the free version of your product.

Just make the professional version free too, if you have a need to add realtime functionality.

• Moderators

Realise they are wise to occassionaly add features to keep some users happy and using the product that have requested a valid feature, especially when another freeware rival product already has the capabilities in their free version.

If they don't add features a rival product has to be competitive they'd run the risk of losing those users (who could also become potential future customers to their commercial versions of the software) to a rival product.

Well, they just lost one of their older customers,, not to a rival product, but just because of  the addition of monitoring my pc systems .  Had a bad time uninstalling from one pc but got it all straightened out - the other uninstalls went fine.  I just couldn't adjust to the icon appearing in  my taskbar repeatedly and the futility of trying to remove it and trying to stop CCleaner from running at startup. What a mess!  Had to run DISM and SFC Scannow to get them back in the condition they were before CCleaner 4.18.4842.

Good luck folks, I just don't have time to mess with it.  And, I really don't need it. 

I am back to 4.17 version just to rid my system of that monitoring thing.(Yes, I save my downloads to a cloud, so it wasn't hard to find) IF I can find an earlier version of the free CCleaner, I will put it in, and 4.17 has some things I was not happy about, but could live with.

I will be visiting here kind of regular for a few days or a week or so to see if this issue actually has a good resolution!

I unchecked both places in 4.18 mentioned in this and another post, cleaned out the registry and restarted my PC.  

Guess what?  The monitoring icon show back up in the task bar, and the start up was added back into the registry and the CCleaner interface and the start up location(s).

I just need a good system cleaner!

WHAT I DON'T need another piece of software that is going to embed itself in my system to the point of ignoring even IT'S OWN SETTINGS!  It's bad enough all of the MS crap and the manufacturer crap that is already 'monitoring' my system! (Most of which I have been able to get rid of or disable) 

• Moderators

I am back to 4.17 version just to rid my system of that monitoring thing.

I've went back as well ("downgraded") but only because I use the portable version. In the portable version I feel it should be a greyed out and non-functioning feature hence it's supposed to be portable.

• Moderators

@ItsJustMe, you can find earlier versions on FileHippo.

just be aware they have changed their site recently (well a few months now) and there are some 'pitfalls' to avoid, like annoying ads that look like the download button.  suggest you install a browser plugin that blocks ads - like AdBlock Plus if using FireFox.

+1 @Andavari on the "why is this feature in the portable version"

• Moderators

Hi, You can now download v4.18.4844. This version allows for easier control of the new Active Monitoring feature. Active Monitoring can be disabled by: 1.    Open CCleaner, then click Options > Monitoring2.    Disable System Monitoring by unticking the box next to "Enable System Monitoring"3.    Disable Active Monitoring by unticking the box next to "Enable Active Monitoring", and click Yes when the confirmation box appears

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Yeah sorry hazelnut, I saw your post after my cut/pastes of MrA's directions

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

@mta>  Thanks mate! but no need to be concerned about an ad blocker, or whatever, and the 'junk' filehippo has started using.  All taken care of LONG LONG AGO!

As for the 'monitor' thing> I DON'T EVEN WANT IT INSTALLED!  A good installer can give that option for those of us that dislike garbage running in the background and taking up resources.

• Moderators

Monitor thing can just be turned off, it isn't some sort of bundleware

• Moderators

but it would be nice if the option was asked during installation or the default position was OFF.

especially on new features! (and especially ones that slipped through beta testing)

the File Finder new feature never caused this much fuss and it has far more potential for negative side-effects. why? -  because it wasn't a background task and wasn't in-your-face.

whatever the reason for giving us the Monitor feature, there's simply no escaping that it was badly tested, implemented and received.  which is a pity because it wasn't fatal, was quickly patched and isn't a drain on resources.

it's the 'surprise factor' that got us ! (and yeah, it wasn't tested)

• Moderators

All new features have a moment of problems usually followed by a quick fix, thanks to the developers always reading threads and reacting quick to it.

Get rid of this monitoring.  I positively hate it.  Its useless and just one more thing for me to disable after each update.  This is just more bloat and one more useless thing constantly running in the background using system resources.  Start living up to your old name of crap cleaner and start at home by removing this monitoring crap.  If this is not removed I will uninstall CCleaner and begin using Glary Utilities.  Some of my friends already have. 

• Moderators

You can just turn the monitoring off in the new build 4.18.4844

http://www.piriform.com/Ccleaner/builds

1. Open CCleaner, then click Options > Monitoring

2. Disable System Monitoring by unticking the box next to "Enable System Monitoring"

3. Disable Active Monitoring by unticking the box next to "Enable Active Monitoring", and click Yes when the confirmation box appears

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 1 year later...

I just HAD to login to a terribly old account just to comment on this.

Hilarious outcome: the new version I just installed (5.18) activates the monitor BY DEFAULT without asking.

Bye ccleaner, it's been a fun decade.

like with any software that allows you to customise it, simply turn off the feature you don't want/need.

luckily they have made it a user-controlled option, so that's good as I'll be making sure it's off.

it's like the dangerous File Finder process they implement ages ago, it wasn't for me but that didn't stop me using CC, it's a great little program.

I guess they are trying to give their clients something they have been asking for (according to the official release blurb).

It's all part of software evolution and sometimes, some people aren't going to be happy.

• Moderators

Was it something I said???

I'm wondering how my comment drove away a CC user. ;)

Mitch!, Mitch!, come back.... we still love you!!! :lol: