CCleaner 4.18.4842 remains in taskbar!

berryracer

I downloaded the latest CCleaner 4.18.4842 Portable edition and upon checking the options, I ticked the "Enable System Monitoring" by mistake. I then saw the CCleaner icon in the taskbar. I hate having any unncessary apps in the taskbar so I unchecked the box but it remained in the taskbar.

I then exited CCleaner completely, but the moment I re-launch it, it appears in the taskbar again even though the "Enable System Monitoring" box is unchecked!

What's more annoying, now I have to do 2 things to completely exit CCleanr:

1) Press the X Button to close its main window then......

2) Right click on the taskbar and choose exit

Please fix this!

It is a bug, was just coming here to report it myself. The icon is, correctly, in the tray when monitoring, but the icon/monitor remains there even after UNticking the monitor option in CC. You can untick the option, close CCleaner, and you get the "CCleaner is monitoring your system" popup even though you've disabled the monitor function and the tray icon remains till you manually close it.

I have done the same thing and turned off active monitoring and still the system tray icon is there. I have even gone into my properties and hid icon and messages and still no help. I hate icons in my tray that I do not want and no options of getting rid of them from the program that is causing it. Please fix this.

I have done the same thing and turned off active monitoring and still the system tray icon is there. I have even gone into my properties and hid icon and messages and still no help. I hate icons in my tray that I do not want and no options of getting rid of them from the program that is causing it. Please fix this.

You can remove it by right clicking it and exitting, the issue is that CCleaner should do that when you untick active monitoring in the monitoring section.

I have also tried turning off the monitoring entry and also deleting it in CCleaner Startup but it just reappears along with the system tray icon after I restart my computer and reaccess CCleaner.  I have also tried turning it off via the system config and even deleting the registry for monotoring and again it just reappears along with the system tray icon after I restart my computer and reaccess CCleaner. In both instances the box for enable system monitoring has been unchecked in CCleaner.

I have attached a screen shot file after doing the above.

post-70564-0-42162700-1411683531_thumb.png

I have also tried turning off the monitoring entry and also deleting it in CCleaner Startup but it just reappears along with the system tray icon after I restart my computer and reaccess CCleaner.  I have also tried turning it off via the system config and even deleting the registry for monotoring and again it just reappears along with the system tray icon after I restart my computer and reaccess CCleaner. In both instances the box for enable system monitoring has been unchecked in CCleaner.

I have attached a screen shot file after doing the above.

Have you unticked it in the monitoring section AND the advanced settings section? (it is rather clumsily implemented in that it is enabled in two different places)

I have unticked the monitoring, exited from the tray, then removed CCleaner from the startup entries.....

the moment you launch CCleaner again, the bloody tray icon is there until you again manually exit by right clicking on it then choosing exit! who the hell made this stupid decision to include live monitoring in the free version! time to switch to another cleaner!

• Moderators

just a guess, but try adding these two lines to ccleaner.ini

Monitoring=0
    SystemMonitoring=0

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

There are apparently two or more Registry locations controlling Monitoring. Unchecking Options | Monitoring | Enable System Monitoring does not set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner\Monitoring to zero, but manually using Regedit (or a script) to set that value to zero works as desired: CCleaner closes completely and is no longer running as a background process nor iconized to the taskbar.

An entry for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\CCleaner Monitoring pointing to the CCleaner application also must be manually removed.

Note there is also a value for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner\SystemMonitoring which is set to zero.

Caveat Hacker: Registry changes can be dangerous... it is a good idea to back up your PC before making changes.

Too many problems and too much crap to do with trying to unload that monitoring POC!  It should be simple! not a system redesing on the users part.

So I dropped back to version 4.17 for now.

We'll see if Piriform does something about the 'free' version, and removes or gives us an 'INSTALL' option to disable the monitoring thing.  

My system is monitored by too many things as it is, I don't need another that I have lived without for a more than a few years now.

Have you unticked it in the monitoring section AND the advanced settings section? (it is rather clumsily implemented in that it is enabled in two different places)

I did what you suggested and it has removed the monitoring file from startup and it appears to be no longer running in the background. Even though the system tray icon no longer appears and is now inactive I wish Piriform would have made it that when you unckeck monitoring from both the monitoring section and settings it would completely remove the icon as well from the list of notification area icons but at least it does not appear and is monitoring.

• Moderators

I'm surprised something so obvious got through the Beta Testers :huh:

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

First major mess up ever.

This version needs to be pulled immediately and a new one released with a fix.

How could this not be noticed by Beta testers, it's obvious on first use, the icon remains in Task Bar.

In addition to the Task Bar Bug, any monitoring options should have be DISABLED by default.

It's nice to have options and have it in the program but it shouldn't have been ON by deafult.

This thread topic, however is the reason to issue a new version A.S.A.P.

Not sure its a bug. 

Can't imagine that much change would happen without the coders / testers knowing it. 

Might be deliberate, so you won't turn it off by accident.

On this xp computer I can get rid of the tray icon only by turning monitoring off with 3 clicks in a certain order: 

1st untick options > monitoring > enable system monitoring

2nd untick options > advanced > enable active monitoring

3rd accept the popup warning, thus reassuring CCleaner that you really want to do this.  :)

Big change from earlier version.  Whether one likes it or not is a matter of personal opinion.  I don't, but thats just me, so i turn it off. 

Sort of related thread here:  http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=41252&hl=

Fwiw, with this version also, unsecapp.exe turns off when active monitoring turns off.

Edit:  Sorry, don't know what would happen to that tray icon on restart, this computer will lose these experimental changes on restart..

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Same for me. I unticked the option when installing it install monitoring anyway. I've unchecked it from options plus removing it from taskbar and startup folder. On reboot its all back again. This is totally unaceptable.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro