Long task cycles

nolan_vode

For a while now I have noticed that ccleaner is taking an excessively long time to do complete a task, especially when part of the job is emptying the recycle bin.

I am not interested in taking multiple passes to erase things...I just want everything deleted as quickly as possible.  I have tried to adjust the settings accordingly, but it makes no difference.  I can manually empty the recycle bin far faster than ccleaner currently does it for me.

I dont remember it always being this way.  Am I wrong?

• Moderators

And browser and version?

And AV software?

Size of data in Recycle Bin to be emptied?

Does time taken by CC to clean Recycle Bin correspond to amount of data to be removed?

Elapsed time between runs of CC? (weekly, monthly, other)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

And browser and version?

And AV software?

Size of data in Recycle Bin to be emptied?

Does time taken by CC to clean Recycle Bin correspond to amount of data to be removed?

Elapsed time between runs of CC? (weekly, monthly, other)

Helps to give more info such as:

* Windows version, i.e.; (Win 8.1, 64-bit), etc.

* CCleaner version.

CCleaner Slim 4.17.4808, XP SP3, Firefox 32 and 33b, but I dont have ccleaner involved in any browser cleaning...in fact as far as "Run CCleaner" tasks are concerned, i really dont have it do much more than the minimum; clearing temp files, my recycle bin a few other small tasks.

I am a long time user of CCleaner.  I use CCleaner on a daily basis, usually several times.  I was using CCleaner 4.16, but I just changed to "Slim" to see if it would help.  It seemed better when the recycle bin is not real full, but I just tested it with about 4g in the recycle bin.  I waited and waited while the tray icon showed it was working, but after a time when I realized it was taking far too long as usual, I opened CCleaner and the task almost immediately completed, which is pretty typical (sorry I forgot to mention this aspect before);  once I open the CCleaner interface, thiings usually go faster and smoother...initially it is stuck around 14%, but in a few seconds if not immediately it get going and wipes things clean, like you would expect it to always operate...like it operated in the past

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really appreciaye it if someone would at least speculate a solution here.  How do you explain CCleaner taking literally 20 times as long to clear my recycle bin as the recycle bin "Empty Recyle Bin" button.

If I open CCleaner and run it internally, it is consideralbly faster.  NIght and day.

The time consumed for both methods does relate to the contents of the recycle bin, but the Windows default "Empty Recyle Bin" button method never takes very long, no matter how full the bin is. 

There is no exaggeration.  My descriptions are accurate.  My OS installation is clean and fresh, stripped down and built for speed.  The CCleaner method, especially from the context menu "Run Cleaner" button is exponentially slower.  CCleaner is the only area right now where I'm experience a distinct or unexpected lack of performance.

There is no fiewall or virus software conflict.

I've used and appreciated CCleaner for a long time, because It didnt always act like this.  It behaves like it is doing multiple passes.  If it is I need to now how to stop it.

Sorry, but I'm really disppointed at the response here.  I think I've come up with enough information to continue the discussion.

• Moderators

don't misinterpret lack of responses to lack of caring :) - it may simply be that no-one has anything to suggest or the forum member who can help hasn't seen your thread.

so to boil it down, if I have this correct, your problem is a slow Recycle Bin cleanse and only when running CC from the context menu, not when double clicking the CC icon and running it 'normally' ?

my only suggestion would be a corrupt recycle bin but that theory doesn't hold up much as it works fine when CC is started normally.

but to fully cross that option off the list try this as suggested by @hazelnut

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=41299&p=251045

also, try running CC from the context menu with the PC in Safe Mode and see if things change.

• Moderators

I would echo suggestion to boot into safe mode and and empty recycle bin using CC from the context menu. This will rule out any 3rd party app such as av etc being involved.

Also look into it being a corrupt context menu handler.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

How many wipes do you have set in ccleaner s settings

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I waited and waited while the tray icon showed it was working, but after a time when I realized it was taking far too long as usual, I opened CCleaner and the task almost immediately completed, which is pretty typical (sorry I forgot to mention this aspect before)...

It does that on my system as well when I have it run from a batch file (I don't use any secure deletion). In my case I know it's directly related to the antivirus software I use which seems to get that systray icon stuck for awhile. I've found just waving my mouse pointer over the CCleaner icon in the systray will usually cause it to immediately exit if it's actually done cleaning.

How many wipes do you have set in ccleaner s settings

I don't use any secure deletion.  As best as I can tell, I have it on the simplest setting, as I always have

It does that on my system as well when I have it run from a batch file (I don't use any secure deletion). In my case I know it's directly related to the antivirus software I use which seems to get that systray icon stuck for awhile. I've found just waving my mouse pointer over the CCleaner icon in the systray will usually cause it to immediately exit if it's actually done cleaning.

I'll try wiggling the mouse, but its not that it doesnt close after finishing because when I hover over the systay icon, it's shows 26%, and never changes unless I just wait it out to the finish (or open the ccleaner interface), whereupon it it jumps to 100%

I know with 100% certainty that there is no AV conflict.

• Moderators

I know with 100% certainty that there is no AV conflict.

So you did the test from Safe Mode and it worked OK there?