Ccleaner... phone home?

inojim

I just noticed: when I start Ccleaner, I can't immediately hit the 'Run Cleaner' button.  I have to wait until it turns pale blue benenath my cursor.  I also notice that this doesn't happen until some back-and-forth communication goes on between the Ccleaner program and the Internet.  Is Ccleaneer 'phoning home,' and if so, for what?  I do not have the box checked for the program to check for updates, so what's it doing, anyway?  Thanks!

• Moderators

At install CCleaner checks to see what version is being run.

I just block it using my firewall. 

However I am not aware of it phoning out each time it is run, it doesn't on mine anyway.

What operating system?

What security type software do you run?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

At install CCleaner checks to see what version is being run.

I just block it using my firewall. 

Or just uncheck Automatically check for updates to CCleaner in Options/Settings. My run button is available immediately, on a very old pc without winapp2.

Or just uncheck Automatically check for updates to CCleaner in Options/Settings. My run button is available immediately, on a very old pc without winapp2.

Winapp2.ini is so large it slows CCleaner down a lot but I don't mind.

CCleaner is also faster if it's installed or unzipped on SSD/HDD than ran from USB.

• Moderators

My run button is available immediately, on a very old pc without winapp2.

Mine is also available immediately on an 11 years old WinXP PC with my own custom winapp2.ini file. I use CCleaner Portable and have the updates check disabled.

Thanks, all.  Ccleaner does start instantly when I have the Internet connection turned off.  Only when it is able to communicate does Ccleaner hesitate until just after a short flurry of messaging.  I forgot to say that I'm running Vista/64, although I don't think that makes a difference.  And that box to check for updates is not checked.

• Moderators

Ccleaner does start instantly when I have the Internet connection turned off.

I have a software like this (not CCleaner though) which has the same behaviour which is directly related to the software trying to look for an update since it auto-updates with no ability to disable it.

• Moderators

What security software do you run?

As a test turn off your anti virus program and reboot. Does CCleaner still delay?

(don't forget to turn on your av afterwards!!)

Or you could just boot into Windows safe mode with networking and run ccleaner.. does it still show a delay?

If it doesn't it may be some (security type!) software that is checking ccleaner when you open it to run it.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Along with what Hazelnut has stated I've noticed some cleaning software (not CCleaner in my case) on my system has taken too long to operate directly due to the antivirus software scanning it, and if the antivirus has a cloud-based feature it can take even longer.

The really frustrating thing is those types of antivirus often do this during each Windows session meaning the cleaning software will open or operate unusually slow during that first use however using the cleaning software again during the same Windows session doesn't have that time/wait penalty. Reboot/restart Windows and it starts all over again, very frustrating!

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

It also could be that you have windows set to verify signature of exe files and the "phone home" is actually the "phone VeriSign"

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 years later...

Related theme anno 2018 ...

HowTo disable the phone home activities from CCleaner (Freeware) whitout Firewall ?

''Inform me of Updates'' is unchecked, BUT this phonehome adresses are active on every start online ...

http://www.google-analytics.com 

http://www.ccleaner.com

https://www.ccleaner.com

thank You

at least once a day : to think different ;o)

• Moderators

Google Analytics can be blocked with the Windows HOSTS file since way too many software products phone home using it, all without the need of a firewall (note that Win10 may ignore some entries in the HOSTS file).

I block all of these in the HOSTS file:

google-analytics.com
ssl.google-analytics.com
www.google-analytics.com

Ccleaner does start instantly when I have the Internet connection turned off. 

yes, a known matter - not only with ccleaner... the apps seems to smell an inet-connection is on or off

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"