Microsoft Pulls KB2982791 After 4 Days of Blue Screens

hazelnut

Derek

My experience might help you.

The last time a Patch Update broke through the barriers that should have stopped it, it destroyed all use of Windows.

I had to restore C:\ from a partition image, and I knew that would lose some very recent and massive enhancements to my desktop shortcuts etc etc.

Using Macrium WinPE Boot Rescue I was able to create a new partition image of C:\

Then WinPE restored the earlier image of a working Windows system before my massive enhancements,

and then with the restored un-enhanced Windows I was able to mount the image back-up of the enhanced and broken Windows as a virtual drive P:\,

and use "Portable BestSync" to compare C:\ with P:\

and then distinguish between which "User" folder changes were my enhancements to be copied from P:\ to C:\

and totally ignore all the crippled system files in System32 etc. etc.

A follow-up: Before I restored my image from 6/26/2014, I made a list of all the Windows updates that were installed on my machine on 8/12/2014. There were 13 in all, not counting the update for Windows Defender or the Malicious Software Removal Tool. After restoring the image, I opened Windows update and compared my previous list to the current list of available updates. I noted that there were three that were available on 8/12 that are not available now. Microsoft must have pulled these three updates. They are as follows:

KB2982791 - on hazelnut's list

KB2975719 - on hazelnut's list

KB2918614 - a new one

I've had my machine running for about an hour since then and all appears well. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that is the end of BSODs for this machine. 

Edit: Thanks Alan. I'm keeping my backup image from 6/26 in case I have to do another restoration. If I do, I'll try what you have suggested.   

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

And the circus goes on as a new update is offered on 27th , see the Update faq's on following page 

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-045

Why was this bulletin revised on August 27, 2014? What happened to the original 2982791 security update?
To address known issues with security update 2982791, Microsoft rereleased MS14-045 to replace the 2982791 update with the 2993651 update for all supported releases of Microsoft Windows. Microsoft expired update 2982791 on August 15, 2014. All customers should apply the 2993651 update, which replaces the expired 2982791 update. Microsoft strongly recommends that customers who have not uninstalled the 2982791 update do so prior to applying the 2993651 update.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Microsoft strongly recommends that customers who have not uninstalled the 2982791 update do so prior to applying the 2993651 update.

That is ridiculous.

Microsoft ought to have the ability to automatically detect and uninstall their own update 2982791.

If that is beyond their ability,

then surely Microsoft is NOT competant to create their "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool."

• Moderators

Crazy thing is Alan in the very next paragraph they seem to contradict themselves

I already successfully installed the original 2982791 security update and am not experiencing any difficulties. Should I apply the replacement update (2993651) released on August 27, 2014?
Yes. All customers should apply the 2993651 update, which replaces the expired 2982791 update. Customers do not need to uninstall the expired 2982791 update before applying the 2993651 update; however, Microsoft strongly recommends it. Customers who do not remove the expired update will retain a listing for 2982791 under installed updates in Control Panel.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Crazy thing is Alan in the very next paragraph they seem to contradict themselves

I think they're just covering their backsides. Although I'm with Alan on the concept of why can't they just remove their own update, they could've built that into its re-released replacement. I wonder how many people that don't even read those bulletins would know to remove the old one first, then there's people new to computers that may not know how to remove it.

Edited by Andavari
typo

I think I'll wait & watch for a while before installing KB2993651. Not that I'm skeptical of MS or anything... <_<

I'm taking the same approach. I think I'll wait for the smoke to clear, otherwise I might end up shooting myself in the foot. :wacko:

An update: No more BSODs since my last post. But Internet Explorer can be a bit of a mope sometimes. I can't be sure if it's I.E. or my ISP. Or maybe the fact that all the kids in the neighborhood are starting school next week and until that blessed day arrives, they are laying waste to all the available bandwidth in order to make everyone else's life as miserable as their's. :lol:

• Moderators

well, I pulled the trigger yesterday.

installed KB...51 (after double checking KB...91 was still removed) and all good on the western front for now.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Anyone (mainly Win 7 it seems ) who gets a further error after installing the new update KB2993651, may find they are unable to use Win Updates now due to error 80246002, read here....

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-update/tracking-error-80246002-windows-update-problem

There is a fix which is working for most people now listed within it (the one about changing dns servers in comments after article)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Willy it's all in the links etc posted above..have a read :)

Why was this bulletin revised on August 27, 2014? What happened to the original 2982791 security update?
To address known issues with security update 2982791, Microsoft rereleased MS14-045 to replace the 2982791 update with the 2993651 update for all supported releases of Microsoft Windows. Microsoft expired update 2982791 on August 15, 2014. All customers should apply the 2993651 update, which replaces the expired 2982791 update. Microsoft strongly recommends that customers who have not uninstalled the 2982791 update do so prior to applying the 2993651 update.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Anyone (mainly Win 7 it seems ) who gets a further error after installing the new update KB2993651, may find they are unable to use Win Updates now due to error 80246002, read here....

You win some and you lose some :P :P

My last post on page 2 was the last time I replaced any erroneous update. No problems so far. I think Steve Ballmer is more focused on his newly bought LA Clippers basketball team than any puny MS issues these days. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

September's patch Tuesday is just around the corner. Keep your fingers crossed and hope we don't get a another stinker. :unsure:

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-sep

Did anyone have any problems with yesterday's round of updates? I did. After installing them and doing a reboot, I went online. About a half hour later, I tried to close one of several tabs I had open in I.E. and found I couldn't do it using the "x" on the tab itself. So I went down to the taskbar and tried closing it from there. Still no luck. Then I opened Task Manager and forced I.E. to close, which produced a blue screen but no error message, simply a plain blue screen. Then I did a "ctrl-alt-delete" and logged out. When I logged back in, everything was normal, like nothing happened. So I did a reboot, and haven't had any issues since.

The last time I had a BSOD following the August round of updates, it also occurred when I had I.E. open for a while. Both rounds of updates, August's and September's, included cumulative security updates for I.E.. Any connection here?

• Moderators

so far all good for me, but then I don't use IE.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

About a half hour later, I tried to close one of several tabs I had open in I.E. and found I couldn't do it using the "x" on the tab itself. So I went down to the taskbar and tried closing it from there. Still no luck. Then I opened Task Manager and forced I.E. to close, which produced a blue screen but no error message, simply a plain blue screen.

Could've been a temporary hiccup. Although it's a good ideal to look into IE settings in particular 'Manage add-ons' and make sure something hasn't been unknowingly installed on your system since historically most IE related problems are from plugins or adware that has hooked into it.

A follow up - I did a reset on Internet Explorer, and it fixed things. Sort of. I no longer have any problems while I have it open. But when I close it, I get the message "Internet Explorer stopped responding", then the little progress bar appears claiming that Windows is searching for a solution. It appears that Windows cannot figure out that it stopped responding because I closed it. Classic Microsoft behavior.