CCleaner BAD move with yahoo

Ryan

No offense but you guys really screwed up with this latest version. Yes you can simply uncheck the yahoo toolbar box, however my problem is I personally have to fix plenty of computers infected by spyware... The average user does not know to uncheck the yahoo toolbar option or any spyware adware option, which im sure what you guys are wishing in order to make money... But thats the problem I used to be able to recomend your software for users to install themselves to keep their computers running smoother. It was lightweight and fast and of course most important free and adfree. Bundleing crap software just makes no sense to me esspecially with the reputation you guys now have. Understanding you guys would like to make some cash.. Not sure how much you do make for that guessing its a decent lump since im seeing more and more software have that godforsaken toolbar. Maybe have it default as unchecked such as irfanview did at least so that users who arnt sure what they are doing dont install that thing.

Many users agree with you, especially techs. Crap Cleaner now comes with crap.

They have builds they are without the toolbar; but that took "hours" to deploy and is rather hidden.

My Anti-Malware packages do not have the toolbar, and any time I link to CCleaner it will be for the version without the toolbar.

ugh... BAD move indeed.

I install CCleaner with my Unattended Windows XP CD and also recommend it to my Relatives and Friends, guess i'll have to make sure they download the non crap CrapCleaner or make sure they uncheck the box for it.

Hopefully if they keep the Yahoo toolbar crap with it they will always have the no toolbar download link.. or atleast make it more visible on their download page.

Yes, I dont like it too.

It is possible donate money for CCleaner, I dont think it should come with Yahoo toolbar.

That goes against the spirit of CCleaner.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

We don't you install a useful toolbar like A9 - online bookmarks, google search, site info with alternative suggestions...

No, it shouldnt come with anything. It is a cleaner, it should clean. Not come with any undesired extras or come with what its supposed to clean.

If I buy a vacuum cleaner, I expect the dust to get stored in a bag, not get sucked in, then get blowed out on other side.

If I buy BigMac, I want hamburger, not get it bundled with a screwdriver or tampoon.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

I completely agree that bundling the toolbar is a bad idea. I have about a thousand PC's I want to install this on through a log in script and the only install switch is /S for silent. That works well. Then I run it in the background without the users knowledge with the /AUTO switch. How about at least giving us a few more commandline switches to not install the toolbar etc.,

Since I install and only allow the Google toolbar on all my PC's, how about contracting with Google and Yahoo but letting us pick at install with command line switches and checkboxes if we want a toolbar and if we do then what toolbar we want.

I love the program and would gladly look into paying for it (site license) if I had to if you would include some more options for corporate administrators.

I completely agree that bundling the toolbar is a bad idea. I have about a thousand PC's I want to install this on through a log in script and the only install switch is /S for silent. That works well. Then I run it in the background without the users knowledge with the /AUTO switch. How about at least giving us a few more commandline switches to not install the toolbar etc.,

Since I install and only allow the Google toolbar on all my PC's, how about contracting with Google and Yahoo but letting us pick at install with command line switches and checkboxes if we want a toolbar and if we do then what toolbar we want.

I love the program and would gladly look into paying for it (site license) if I had to if you would include some more options for corporate administrators.

Why don't you just download the version without the toolbar...?

Yep, in bed with Yahoo, not cool.

Guess Yahoo, is following in Google's footsteps in snapping up the good free stuff online.

Yahoo, always a step behind.

I'm kinda leary of this program now.

Never liked Yahoo, never will.

For those of you who watched the last show of the Apprentice (Trump) this year, Yahoo, came across as a company only in it for themselves, their pockets and that's it.

Get out of bed with Yahoo, before it's too late.

Need to find a new alternative maybe.

I use Yahoo e-mail, maps, YIM, etc. although I distrust this company since they are sharing their bed with G.W.B. and his likes. I'm also upset that CCleaner has teamed up wtih Yahoo, but I can see why this happend... it is our fault because a lot of us free loaders don't donate some of the hard earned money we have or give any chump change we have in our pockets to small freeware companies such as Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, CCleaner, etc.

I wonder how many CCleaner users out of all who benefit from this product have donated money in order to keep this product free at no charge and independent of big money corporations like Yahoo? Probably a very few CCleaner users actually donate to show their gratitude and satisfaction with CCleaner while the majority of us have not.

How many of us in this thread who are complaining and wary about Yahoo and CCleaner teaming up have made a donation before this happend? If great products are to be free for us and independent of big corporations then we have to help keep it this way by consistently giving donations so that program developers can support themselves, their families and pay their bills or else they will have to partner up with Yahoo, Google, MSN, etc.

Until you have made a donation, don't complain when its too late.

I bet most freeware users don't donate to Spybot S&D, AdAware SE, etc. but take full advantage of these great free products. If we want great products to be independent of greedy corporate ownership we should donate a reasonable sum at least once or twice a year if our economic status permits us to do so or else we will continue to see Microsoft Corp, Yahoo, etc. swallowing up freeware products and later putting price tags $$$ on these once freeware products which is something I'm certain alot of us would not like to see. :rolleyes:

Who said you have to pay for stuff?

"Pay or we'll bundle with spyware/adware?"

And just because something is free, dont mean you should, have or can donate to it. Example, you mentioned AdAware, it is not possible to donate to it. Also they have a free version and a more powerful payed version, just so you can pay if you want more feature but dont have to pay to use the less powerful version.

And if it werent for CCleaner would be free (as in beer), I would never have used it. Even if I could get my hands on it without paying.

A donation is something you do by free will, not something you should feel obligated todo. I would never make a donation to a software which didnt let me see the source code of it, to something that I dont trust.

Also, not all people code with money in mind. If people release something as freeware maybe they dont expect anything in return. Some people code for fun and then release it because they like doing something good, and offering something useful to other people that they can freely use. So dont blame any people who used CCleaner or any other software, that the software now comes bundled with adware/spyware.

I am sure the author of a system optimizer and privacy tool would not want spyware/adware on his computer, but it is okay for him to distribute software bundled with spyware/adware to other people? :rolleyes:

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Until you have made a donation, don't complain when its too late.

Thank you ICRMU

Rock on! I totally agree. Voicing a suggestion is one thing, but complaining/flaming is quite another. According to CCleaner's homepage there have been over 14 million downloads of CCleaner. If everyone showed some appreciation just 1 time (during the existence of CCleaner) by making a $20 donation then MrG could donate ALL of his time to meeting our every wish, and desire.

He has met everyone half-way by making multiple installers, which is to say that he is trying to meet his needs as well as our wants.

FYI: Flaming, and complaing isn't they way to get what you want. A more effective way to get what you want is to show support, and appreciation. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Well, you cant expect everyone to make a donation. It is freeware, that means it is free and people arent supposed be needing to pay for it, and probably arent expected to donate either.

So you cant blame the user for not apprecieting the unwelcomed spyware/adware addition, especially when the application that it comes bundled with, is a system optimizer, privacy tool and a cleaner.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

just 1 time (during the existence of CCleaner) by making a $20 donation then MrG could donate ALL of his time to meeting our every wish, and desire.

So basically, CCleaner would become a shareware.

The fact that it would be a shareware wouldn't make MrG give it more attention. He'd just become more greedy that he is now.