Non SSD drives being detected as SSD...

Using the latest version (v4.15.4725 64-bit)

When going into Tools, Drive Wiper, all of my external USB3 drives are being detected as SSD while none of them are of this type.  Only the two internal sata drives are SSD.  This is preventing me from doing any type of "complex" wipe on the external drives.  Is there a way to run CCleaner in a "I know what I'm doing" mode?

• Moderators

Whilst sidestepping the question (because I don't know the answer) there are a multitude of posts here and elsewhere that indicate that 'complex' overwrites are archaic, disk-damaging, time consuming and pointless. That would enable you to single-wipe with some peace of mind.

For years I have longed for a 'Just do what I b-well say' key on my pc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

The problem reported here is a fact!  I'm not sure why it has been ignored.  non-SSD drives should not be marked as SSDs in the drive wiper.  It's an open and shut case and should be fixed.  I'm shocked that it's been going on since 2014 and no one has tried to fix it nor answer the problem report.  I have attached a screen print of the problem.  Please fix this annoying problem.

Thanks

post-72312-0-60373300-1426061533_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

the Developers do read these posts so I'm sure they know of the issue.

I'm also sure if they could fix it then they would have. (ok, or maybe it's way down on their priority list).

And if any member had a suggestion, again, I'm sure they would have chimed in by now.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Romel, as you have a CC Professional licence you can contact Piriform support directly to discuss this subject. For what it's worth, all my usb-attached drives show correctly as HDD's.

• 5 months later...

The same problem occurs with CCleaner Free 5.08.5308 with WD Elements and Seagate Backup Plus 500GB, 1TB and 2TB USB 3.0 drives under Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit versions). However, it does NOT occur with these drives under Windows XP or Windows 7. Therefore, it would appear that the false SSD detection has something to do with the drive data provided by Windows 10.

The problem has not been solved with CCleaner Free 5.09.5343.