What is your most scariest moment ?

Kas

See how it goes. Most active people have quite a few to tell.

Mine ? I have had a number and got the scars and a few aches to prove it. But I guess my second parachute training jump with the Army is the time I remember most for needing a quick change of underwear. Mind you, camouflaged khaki is a good color to wear on such occasions.

Why the second ? Well lemme tell ya - `cos ya know what`s coming on the second and 800 - 1,000 feet is a long way down when you exit a monstrous C-130`s side door at about 210 mph and get .thrown around in the slipstream and prop-wash like a leaf in a gale. Sometimes Mummy`s little darling and heir to the family fortune was twisting, turning and not always in the text book head-up body position which that lovable, kindly and soft spoken Sergeant Instructor told us was best for our health.

On later jumps with a 100 lb. kit-bag attached to our midriff and leg, body position was no problem. With that weight on our lower torso, it was always head-up, feet down.

Believe it or not. Before I went in the Army for my spell of grunting, all my trousers were the perfect  length. After my jumping career, they were all 2 inches too long. Well, waddya know !

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - "I will  either find a way or make one"

• Moderators

1. When I was 12 years old me and friends horsing around on the sidewalk just being loud obnoxious kids, and then a homeowner comes out incorrectly thinking we're messing with his property points a shotgun at us.

2. Barely missing a little girl by mere inches who was on her brand new bicycle with training wheels who fell/crashed into the street in front of my car.

Not a very adventurous, risk taking or accident prone community are we ? Just me and Andavan  eh ?

Eat ya heart out Alain Robert.

• Moderators

Just me and Andavan

I've let it go for weeks you spelling it that way, however it's an r i at the end of my name not an n. And it's my actual last name.

Incorrect: Andavan

Correct: Andavari

I've let it go for weeks you spelling it that way, however it's an r i at the end of my name not an n. And it's my actual last name.

Incorrect: Andavan

Correct: Andavari

I am  so sorry and meant no offence. On my computer the "r" seems to blend in with the "i" and looks like an "n". It really does look like that even with good eyesight as I have. You would need a magnifying glass or glasses to distinguish that they are two separate letters in lower case.

I am  so sorry and meant no offence. On my computer the "r" seems to blend in with the "i" and looks like an "n". It really does look like that even with good eyesight as I have. You would need a magnifying glass or glasses to distinguish that they are two separate letters in lower case.

Sounds like bad keming

The scariest moment in my life happened a long time ago. I was driving southbound on Interstate I-95 and was south of Baltimore and north of Washington. There are three lanes in each direction seperated by a very wide median, probably 300 to 400 feet wide. At that time, there were no barriers of any kind, it was an open median. Southbound traffic was literally stop and go, traveling 15 to 20 feet in between stops. Northbound traffic was probably moving between 40 to 50 mph. I was in the right hand lane southbound. During one stop cycle, I saw two cars on the northbound side hit each other, it appeared that one of them tried to change lanes without seeing the other car. The one in the left lane, a large Ford station wagon, went out of control and began to cross the median, heading directly at me. I was driving a Toyota Corolla at the time. There were cars in the center and left lanes on my side, but there was a large enough gap for me to watch this taking place. It almost seemed to play out in slow motion. And then the unbelievable happened. Halfway across the median, the driver of this station wagon opened his door and jumped out, rolling alongside the car briefly and then sliding to a stop. Now this 4500 pound projectile is bearing down on me with no chance of slowing or stopping. I could only hope that it changed direction somehow or that another car in either the left or center lanes would get in between us. At the very last second, the car in front of me began moving, so I cut my wheel hard right and floored it, escaping onto the shoulder of the road. The woman behind me was not so fortunate. Apparently, she did not have the same angle of view I had, and was completely unaware of the situation. If she had just stayed where she had stopped, the station wagon would have passed between our two cars and hit the guard rail. Instead, she pulled forward into the same spot were I had just been and a second later it was all over. The impact drove both her car and the station wagon across the shoulder and right into the guard rail. I immediately turned my car off and jumped out. The driver's side of her car was now on the car's centerline, and the passenger side was up against the guard rail and pushed in about foot. I jumped over the guard rail and ran to the open passenger side window. Her head and upper torso were lying face up on the floor of the passenger side, and her legs were not visible, they were somewhere beneath the mangled metal. She was motionless. The left side of her skull was fractured so badly I could a small portion of her brain. I took one look at her face and realized there was no helping her. She was dead. I reached in and put my index finger on her neck trying to find a pulse. Zero. Another man came running up and asked what he could do to help, and I replied "Unless you're a priest, there's nothing you can do." He stared at me for a second before realizing what I had said. Then he just looked down at the ground and shook his head. About three minutes later a state trooper came flying up and began barking questions at us in rapid fire "What you doing?", "Is there anyone in there?", "Why aren't you doing anything?". I replied "You'd better take a look for yourself." He looked in briefly then asked "Was she alive when you got here?" We both replied "No." Then he took down our names, addresses, and phone numbers and told us we could go. I got back in my car, and when I tried to put the key in the ignition, I realized my hand was shaking so badly I couldn't do it. So I just sat there for a few minutes. The same trooper came up and asked "Are you O.K.?", and I replied "I'm all right, I just don't feel like driving right now." Then he told me I had to pull up so they could get an ambulance in there. So I slowly drove down the shoulder about a quarter mile, stopped, got out of the car, walked over to the guard rail and threw up. I immediately felt much better. Then I got back in my car and continued my trip. But I'll never forget that day. If things hadn't occurred exactly the way they did, it would have been me and not that poor woman who died that day.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

I was once out on a school field trip, one kids dad was a brass in the air force so he organized for a flip in a Oryx.

The teacher slip the class up boys and girls and the girls went first.

When it was our turn we asked if we could fly with the doors open, this wasn't a strange requests as they usually did fly with the doors open. So the pilot took us up, doors open.

Then the fun started the pilot did some tricks with us, zigging and zagging, steep climes and more. He even did this nice little "trick" where he switch off he engines and let the chopper glide, called autorotating. So the extremely fun day came to an end.

Couple of days later I was told that pilot that took us up that day ALREADY wrote of 2 choppers while doing tricks....... 

Needles to say thinking back it was a scary trip knowing what I know now.

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

• Moderators

Couple of days later I was told that pilot that took us up that day ALREADY wrote of 2 choppers while doing tricks....... 

Needles to say thinking back it was a scary trip knowing what I know now.

Doing a "trick" like turning off the engines is very dangerous, because a chopper is only going to glide for so long then drop like a stone.

When I was a small kid at 8 or 9 years age there was a helicopter company giving rides on a Saturday, nothing like that had ever been available before so it was all over the radio. Long story short my grandmother and mother spent way too long doing the usual weekly Saturday morning shopping so we didn't get to go. Luckily we didn't get to go being we got there too late because a few hours later we found out the ride we would've been on had a firey crash, killing everyone onboard.

Eventually I got my chopper ride though a few years later when on vacation in St. Louis, Missouri, the pilot flew us over the stadium where the Cardinals baseball team plays. It was an expensive very brief ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The scariest moment in my life ......

No offence Derek but you really need some page breaks in a longish post.

That is so difficult to read.   :)

One of my scariest moments was my first log-in after agreeing to be a moderator.

My scariest moment was driving down an LA freeway with my hand covering one of my eyes. I was that blind drunk. Luckily I made it home without killing anyone. People are a**holes. And I'm a people.