CPU Core Temperature?

CDN-GP

I'm running an AMD FX 8350 & I can only assume that the CPU Temp that Speccy shows is Not the Traditional 'Core' Temperature? but the newer? Temp readings like Core Temp & HWMonitiors 'Package' Temp show? Speccy is running dead even with HWMonitor in this respect but I'd really like to also have the traditional Average Core Temperature displayed in my Taskbar at all times as well?(instead of Package temp)

I also notice that when you have it set to minimize to tray? that if you open/maximize it? then click close it doesn't minimize back to the taskbar? I wish it would ;)

found some useful information regarding AMD temperature readings -

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

I assume Speccy is using the Thermal Margin method? & rightfully so, but the reason I asked for the traditional Socket Temperature is because that is the Temp that the BIOS uses/reports is it not? the Socket Temp? for example: AMDs recommended Max safe CPU Temp for my FX 8350 for running 24/7 is 61C? is that 61C Thermal Margin(like Speccy) or 61C as recorded by the BIOS? the two would be VERY DIFFERENT. 61C using ASUS Probe 2 is on average +10C hotter then what programs like Speccy are reporting. so what Temp do I follow???...

All I know is their is a lot of confusion everywhere I look on this issue...

TY. Ron.

• Moderators

at the very least, Speccy should indicate how it gets the temp it does, especially if the potential difference in the 2 methods can be that discrepant.

so +1 for that.

but maybe from a more holistic approach, if you think your CPU is running hot, an improved heatsink and fan is not a big task, physically or financially.

personally I've always used the 'touch it and see' approach. if your finger finds it toasty warm, all is well.  if it's too hot to keep your finger there, something needs to be done.

on a side note, I've always thought 60oC wasn't too bad, high, but within tolerances.  I thought 80's and above to be the dangerous zone.

currently Speccy shows my Core3 at 25oC and Core0 at 40oC - go figure :unsure:

considering all the cores live on the same substrate the size of a square inch, that's a questionably large variance.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 weeks later...

Found another very useful page on this that confirms Speccy is the way to go using the thermal margin method, its even recommended by AMD!(they recommended Core Temp that reads the exact same temp/method as Speccy) -

http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information-and-guide

I've also since found out that both ASUS Probe 2 & Speedfan use the SMBus (System Management Bus) to measure Temp that I've found to be way off when compared to the thermal margin method.

Lastly mta, Intel & AMD Temps are worlds apart. my AMD FX 8350 CPU has Max Recommended Temps of 61c for 24/7 use like I use it & 70c B4 it will start to throttle itself. Intel's can/do run much higher I believe?.

oh & I run all Noctua so that is definitely not the issue. it basically all comes down to the old ways of measuring CPU temperatures(BIOS/SMBus etc.) & the newer more accurate way via thermal margin, *at least for AMD processors.

theirs just a lot of confusion on this subject & it took me a shitload of searching to finally find that one article that I trust is what AMD recommends, not just joe blow armchair PC expert that all have a million different opinions, I only want to hear what AMD has to say & I finally found it!  :)

• Moderators

I've only ever been an Intel man, so it's good to hear about the AMD side of things. (got burnt by an AMD in the early days and never went back)

huh, just realised - burnt - no pun intended.

I've used Noctua before and have a massive bugger in my current rig and as you know, they are excellent at doing their job.

Glad you got the news you were chasing.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.