File Finder trouble

I really like 'File Finder' functionality. However I'm having an issue with at least one of the folders and subfolders. I've tried differnt combinations in 'Match by' fields, but I'm checking in the following folder: 'K:\dmitriy\TiDima\Photos from Android\' (no special characters). It contains 2 subfolders. 'Photos from Android' and one of the subfolders has some duplicate files. Filenames are of this format: 20131112_190144.jpg. They are images from Samsung that I moved to my computer. So, the problem is that it doesn't find any duplicates at all. It says "File Seach has completed", but not a single match on results

Welcome to the forum

I suggest that you post the complete full length path and file name of two specific files which you consider to be duplicates.

Also a screen shot showing the File Finder settings you have selected,

and also is there anything specified under the EXCLUDE Tab.

Files are in the following folder:

K:\dmitriy\TiDima\Photos from Android\20131112_190120.jpg

K:\dmitriy\TiDima\Photos from Android\20131112_190144.jpg

K:\dmitriy\TiDima\Photos from Android\20131123_173600.jpg

These are just examples, but there a lot more. Duplicated files are under

K:\dmitriy\TiDima\Photos from Android\20131112_190120.jpg

K:\dmitriy\TiDima\Photos from Android\20131112_190144.jpg

K:\dmitriy\TiDima\Photos from Android\20131123_173600.jpg

Here's an example of settings I've selected:

http://snag.gy/qM5yP.jpg

http://snag.gy/8PTCN.jpg

http://snag.gy/szHAw.jpg

http://snag.gy/hqFC6.jpg

Like I said these i just examples. I've checked every permutation: size by itself, name by itself, modified by by itself, name-size together, etc.

In the EXCLUDE tab there's an exclusion on my F-drive, which is a USB stick. K-drive is my drive where i keep my data.

A side question: I see that Alan_B responded 3 days ago. Was there supposed to be some kind of an email notification as I didn't get any. I just checked this forum and was surprised that there was a response and it was waiting for my comments.

Hey  dmitriy1980

Please read this post titled "File Finder: reliable, save or not ?"

There are a lot of bugs within the File Finder function

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

Above this topic is a BOLD button "Reply to this topic"

Above that BOLD button is a faint button "Follow this Topic" which you can click and it then allows you to choose notification mode.

File Finder ought to have checksum validation to minimize false positives.

Perhaps version 4.13 now has checksum validation included but not yet documented,

and now rejects files with dissimilar hashes.

I refuse to consider 3 different files and 4 different settings - far too many combinations and permutations.

Please post screenshots of the properties of just two files so that we can see the exact sizes and all three timestamps for each file,

and also post the checksums for those two files.

N.B.

This is portable software and computes and compares hash checksums

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html

@Alan_B

I just had a look on version 4.14.4707 still no checksum validation. 

I performed same tests as I mentioned in link provided in #4 still get no hits on my end.

Sorry, but your opinion is not, in my opinion, solid evidence that the files are identical.

Screenshots of the properties of each of two alleged identical files will show if there is any difference in the quantity of bytes,

and also show if they have different time stamps "Created" and "Modified".

ALTERNATIVELY we could consider the possibility that two files are fully identical BUT,

possibly related to being moved from a camera to your P.C. (possibly at different times and in different ways),

they have different "ownership" properties and perhaps different ACL's (Access Control Levels),

and that "File Finder" is thereby  prohibited from accessing one or both files.

To investigate this might involve the use of Cacls or iCacls, depending on your unknown version of Windows.

If you do the wrong things with either Cacls or iCacls then you could lose your own access to those files, so I will take this no further.

Sorry, but your opinion is not, in my opinion, solid evidence that the files are identical.

I agree with this statement.

I have played with File Finder for a while now in my opinion rather manually confirm visual by opening the files then delete the files.

File Finder needs a lot of work to get it to work.

I gave up after trying all combinations possible on sorting my files using File Finder.

(Still have the files hoping one day File Finder will work as advertised)

You could use HashMyFiles by NirSoft to compare the files. 

HashMyFiles is a small fast standalone exe.

it opens a window on the desktop

You can drag & drop one or many files into it for comparison. 

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

As state within #4 link the File Finder capabilities withing CCleaner does need a MD5 (SHA1 or any other) checker.

You will not win with the File Finder as of date as it has lots of problems dmitrity1980

OK. 

In the picture the two files are the same but in different folders (as shown in the "Full Path" column).

You can repeat the HashMyFiles process for all your questionable files. 

The app will highlight all identical files with the same color, and will display checksum hashes for each file. 

You can delete the duplicates if you want to. 

If hashes are the same and the file looks the same, it is AFAIK the same file. 

Don't know why CCleaner didn't show them as duplicates.  The developers read all these posts and make changes as needed. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

OK.

Wasn't sure what you wanted, that's why I ran on a bit.  Sorry if I told things you already knew. 

I'm sure the devs will appreciate your post.

The point of my post was to raise an issue and see if I was doing something wrong. I do believe it's an issue with the software and hopefully devs can check it out and resolve it as I love CCleaner and use it everywhere. Thanks for help guys.

The point of my post was to raise an issue and see if I was doing something wrong. I do believe it's an issue with the software and hopefully devs can check it out and resolve it as I love CCleaner and use it everywhere. Thanks for help guys.

This issue was raised 28 February 2014 after they introduced, File content duplicate detection to File Finder. Since that date two releases was maid and this problems still remains.

With File Finder being so easy to configure, I never had any doubt you did something wrong configuring the variables of finding duplicate file. This coming form someone who has played with File Finder extensively after 4.11.4619

Actually hash checksums are a red herring in this situation.

Expert informed opinion is that :-

no one should assume that an apparently duplicate is really a duplicate and safe to delete unless the checksums are identical ; and

CCleaner File Finder can be dangerous because it shows as identical files those which are actually different,

because it does not yet included hash checksums.

This is a TOTALLY different situation

File Finder is NOT finding these files to be duplicate even though it does not reject on the basis of different checksums.

There are several perfectly valid reasons for File Finder to ignore these duplicates :-

1) Your own settings - you have chosen to avoid considering files that are "Read Only" or "Hidden" or "System",

in which case you need to cancel those "Ignore" settings.

2) "File Ownership" and "Access Control Levels",

I am happy to use Cacls or iCacls (depending on version of Windows) to observe such characteristics,

but NOT confident that the outcome of such powerful tools would be good for you - unless you enjoy having to reinstall Windows B)

When all checkboxes are off, Search button is not available. Like I said, one at the time, combination of 2,3,4,5 checkboxes etc. This is clearly a bug. Plus a regular user wouldn't do all the tests that i did. They would give up after 2-3 tries. Not even that, if the software doesn't show them duplicates when there are, they just wouldn't know like in my case.

Either you are badly mistaken, or your version of CCleaner is broken.

The Search button IS ALWAYS AVAILABLE if any one or more of the TOPMOST four boxes are checked.

I NEVER told you to uncheck any of those.

I suggested that you uncheck "Read Only","Hidden","System", which are grouped together in the Ignore section below the top four boxes.

Your own settings - you have chosen to avoid considering files that are "Read Only" or "Hidden" or "System",

in which case you need to cancel those "Ignore" settings.

24 different tests of all permutations/combinations is not needed.

Did you try it with ALL the four boxes cleared.

I made that same mistake. Cleared all four checkboxes at the top. Only place I saw four together. 

And its true that no search can happen unless one or more of them is checked.

On a different note, I can not make CCleaner identify files as identical unless they actually are. 

Tried several search combinations. 

Got a few files with different time stamps, 

Got many files with different locations but otherwise the same. 

Hashmyfiles shows all the ones identified as identical by CCleaner to be. . . well, identical. 

That doesn't address an important issue, though. 

Some of those are files I would not want to remove even though they are identical. 

For example libeay32.dll is identical in two folders and should be left alone. 

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast

and in

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\OpenVPN. 

It is also in two other folders, not identical, and still should be left alone. But CCleaner didn't find it. 

C:\Unreal Commander

and in

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\Tor 3.6\Tor

Don't get me started on duplicate childrens' pictures, they are all over the place & I wouldn't touch any of them.  :D

None of that helps dmitriy, whose problem is a failure to find files, not finding too many. 

I still don't understand that. 

But it does reinforce the idea that the user must make the decision about what to delete, even if multiple files are identical.