Increase life of your SSD

Willy2

Sure. Although the size of SSDs has increased, the information remains relevant. I have a laptop and won't use a SSD anytime soon. The suggestions how to use "junction points" can be of use to increase the life of one's SSD.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

from the literature, you would think SSD's are more likely to wear down since the erase cycles have reduced drastically going from SLC to TLC technology.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Reading that article brought up a question that I've had for some time about using Windows 8 on a SSD device. I'm aware of the fact that Windows 8 doesn't completely shutdown, it instead enters a state that Microsoft refers to as "Hybrid Shutdown", where the user functions are actually shut down but the kernel functions are hibernated. This allows Windows 8 to do a cold boot much faster than any previous versions of Windows. Here is the link to what I read:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-windows-8-hybrid-shutdown-fast-boot-feature-works/#.

So my question is, if you open the command terminal and enter "powercfg /hibernate off" to disable hibernation, as described in the article Willy2 posted, are you disabling only the hibernate function that is available to the user, or are you disabling the Windows Hybrid Shutdown function as well? And if the latter is the case, aren't you losing some degree of the faster boot times that people associate with using a SSD with Windows? 

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

I disable my hibernation file. No effect on the boot time, just the removal of the gigantic hiberfile.sys

Last night I disabled hibernation on my HP Envy laptop, and was pleasantly surprised to see I gained about 6GB or so in freespace on the disk. Great, I thought. Then on the first cold boot this morning, I noticed my little wi-fi indicator light stayed red instead of changing from red to blue, and I had no internet access using wi-fi. A quick reboot and the light behaved normally and my wi-fi was working again. So I re-enabled hibernation, then did a full shutdown and a second cold boot. The light was back to working from cold boot, as it should. So somewhere deep in the bowels of hiberfile.sys, there is one lonely little file related to my wi-fi device :ph34r: , and maybe more :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: , that wake up and come alive at system boot.  

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields