What Anti-Malware / Anti-Spyware do you use ?

Hav0c

So we have a thread about what AV and what Firewall you use now it's time for what Anti-Malware / Anti-Spyware do you use ? ;)

Currently I am using Malwarebytes (v2.0.1.1004) and Spybot - Search & Destroy (v2.3).

The new look for Malwarebytes isn't that impressive to me, with the new "ad window" the Malwarebytes secure Backup on the Dashboard just doesn't do it at all. All thou they did make a massive improvement on how the application scans your system that is a plus to in my book. Response time after sending them files are very good as well. Accessing tasks are pretty good as well.

Spybot - S&D what can I say, the please donate everywhere is an eyesore, the multiple clicks to get a task done compared to the version 1.6.2 really, really do not like it. Version 1.6.2 with the correct setup you can just click scan and you could be sure that your entire system will be scanned. Now with the new version I am not that sure. All is so hidden in a way from the user. Really have to probe to get a setting.

Then not even to mention all the misses on a system, it is Socking. Probably send then to date over 12 files that Malwarebytes, my AV and even VirusTotal detection and still after a month nothing from Spybot. Version 1.6.2 did a pritty good job in finding the bad things, wonder where they missed the boat.

I totally forgot about some stand alone tools I use as well:

RootkitRevealer  (RootkitRevealer is an advanced rootkit detection utility.)

Autoruns  (Autoruns shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them)

HijackThis  (wonder why they stopped this application :( )
GMER
CWShredder

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

Granted that it's slow in scanning and regarding but there is a improvement on how the application scans your system.

Just the latest MBAM which seems to be v2.0.1.1400 and I use just the scanner ("offline"). My only "actives" are Comodo firewall and Avira AntiVir. Beside those I'm using quite large hosts file, SpywareBlaster, AdwCleaner and browser addons (NoScript etc)..

On win xp: 

SpywareBlaster:  http://filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/

SpywareGuard:  Its woefully out of date, runs sort of heavy, has been replaced by SpywareBlaster.

But it constantly monitors the registry (thats why it runs so heavy) and instantly alerts if an attempt is made to change the IE home page. 

Edit: 

SpywareGuard has been temporarily unavailable from JavaCool (now Brightfort) for a few years now :P  but is still available from Majorgeeks.    

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

MBAM free version, and Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit. The latter is a beta.

Standalone version of AVG Anti-Rootkit:  (All paid versions of AVG include the Anti-Rootkit).

Also still a fan of SpywareBlaster.

In your opinion DennisD, Is AVG Anti-Rootkit anything like their AV, heavy on resources and bloated ?

Going to try out the Anti Rootkit tools you mentioned and SpywareBlaster.

Edit: Added 5 more tools i use in original topic.

I don't use traditional Anti-Malware software. I prefer to write/maintain my own security solution, which monitors the system in real-time (similar to WinPatrol). When an .exe, .bat, .dll or .com file is added to the system, or modified, my app sends it to a ClamAV server running on my network. Checksums are also compared against VirusTotal.

As my security app does all its processing externally and has no user interface, the memory usage is minimal. 9MB at idle.

I also keep Malwarebytes installed, but I haven't used it for months.

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

proactively; AVG IS, MBAM Pro, HOSTS file form MVPS

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

KIS, mbam, admuncher, malware domain(adblockplus)

RootkitRevealer  (RootkitRevealer is an advanced rootkit detection utility.)

Autoruns  (Autoruns shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and shows you the entries in the order Windows processes them)

HijackThis  (wonder why they stopped this application :( )
GMER
CWShredder

i think mbam can replace cwshredder(last update 2005)

gmer can replace rootkitrevealer(last update 2006)

hijackthis - a dev already porting hijackthis vb6 source code v2.0.5 beta to c#

hope it will be a success to replace hijackthis and OTL(seem no longer developed)

I don't use traditional Anti-Malware software. I prefer to write/maintain my own security solution, which monitors the system in real-time (similar to WinPatrol). When an .exe, .bat, .dll or .com file is added to the system, or modified, my app sends it to a ClamAV server running on my network. Checksums are also compared against VirusTotal.

As my security app does all its processing externally and has no user interface, the memory usage is minimal. 9MB at idle.

I also keep Malwarebytes installed, but I haven't used it for months.

So your application makes a "snapshot" of the file or of your system ?

Isn't your network a bit on the busy side if every file is send to the ClamAV server and then back ?

KIS, mbam, admuncher, malware domain(adblockplus)

i think mbam can replace cwshredder(last update 2005)

gmer can replace rootkitrevealer(last update 2006)

hijackthis - a dev already porting hijackthis vb6 source code v2.0.5 beta to c#

hope it will be a success to replace hijackthis and OTL(seem no longer developed)

All Rootkit are commonly installed under the same locations, RootkitRevealer even thou out of date still does a very good job in looking at the most obvious locations Rootkit are installed and is still fast.

My bad in posting a "new" post and not update the one above :mellow: .

• Moderators

In your opinion DennisD, Is AVG Anti-Rootkit anything like their AV, heavy on resources and bloated ?

Going to try out the Anti Rootkit tools you mentioned and SpywareBlaster.

Edit: Added 5 more tools i use in original topic.

It's only a small less than 5mb folder and simply a scanner. Uses the usual resources most scanners do which in this case is about 70% of CPU and 2mb memory.

Has two scan levels and is reasonably quick, although I would advise you research anything it finds. Like most rootkit scanners it goes pretty deep and can find unusual items such as hidden files in the prefetch folder (XP), and I mean files that don't show up with show hidden and system files set.

It's only a small less than 5mb folder and simply a scanner. Uses the usual resources most scanners do which in this case is about 70% of CPU and 2mb memory.

Has two scan levels and is reasonably quick, although I would advise you research anything it finds. Like most rootkit scanners it goes pretty deep and can find unusual items such as hidden files in the prefetch folder (XP), and I mean files that don't show up with show hidden and system files set.

Got some mixed feelings about AVG Anti-Rootkit, I have noticed the CPU usage is a bit high but understandable for this sort of tool and a lot less memory usage then I thought.

I have a virtual PC dedicated to the running of viruses, malware and rootkits and the testing of AVs and Anti-Malware software. So I know for a fact that it has some weird stuff running on it and this is the best part AVG Anti-Rootkit detects NOTHING :blink: . Not even when I run both tests 10min apart. But Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, RootkitRevealer and Autoruns does indicate there are entries. Makes me wonder about AVG in general :unsure: :unsure: .

• Moderators

I posted it because I have used it for some time, but I'm running Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit as an alternative and a replacement if AVG doesn't update at sometime in the future.

It hasn't updated for a while whilst MAR updates regularly. In fact I'll remove it from my post as the updates have probably stopped since it became part of the full commercial AVG A/V suite.

So cancel that one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Immunet, is a supplemental protection (according to CNet) and PCMag'sreview is terrible

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com