MS Word 2003 File Open Dialog Column Headers Reset

schwit

The Word 2003 File Open dialog box column headings get reset to default(artist,duration,album,etc) after running CCleaner, even with the Office checkboxes unchecked.

I troubleshot it to the "Windows Explorer/Recent Documents" checkbox. Once unchecked the problem went away. It is easily duplicated.

I also commented out and deleted all of the MS office settings in the winapp.ini file and that did not change the outcome.

Weird.

I'm not aware that "artist,duration,album,etc" have ever been default file detail column headings for Word 2003. They're standard for Windows Media Player but I've never had them cross over. At some point, did you customize your Windows Explorer file details?

I'm not aware that "artist,duration,album,etc" have ever been default file detail column headings for Word 2003. They're standard for Windows Media Player but I've never had them cross over. At some point, did you customize your Windows Explorer file details?

I have customized the Windows Explorer column headings, but to the same column headings as I use in Office 2003. And CCleaner did not affect windows explorer.

BTW, the file open and file save dialog boxes in Office 2003 apps do not come from Windows. They are unique to the Office 2003 apps.

I also found this problem in Excel 2003 and Outlook 2003 when I went to save files. The ccleaner action affected them all.

BTW, the file open and file save dialog boxes in Office 2003 apps do not come from Windows. They are unique to the Office 2003 apps.

You may be mistaken:

1. You get the identical dialog boxes in many non-Microsoft apps, and some properties appear to change for all of them when you change Windows Explorer settings. What seems to differ is the context ... file types are filtered for some apps.

2. You yourself said in your first post that "I troubleshot it to the "Windows Explorer/Recent Documents" checkbox."

Not that that helps a lot, but I suspect that you were on the right track the first time ... it's something in the Windows Explorer settings.

You may be mistaken:

1. You get the identical dialog boxes in many non-Microsoft apps, and some properties appear to change for all of them when you change Windows Explorer settings. What seems to differ is the context ... file types are filtered for some apps.

2. You yourself said in your first post that "I troubleshot it to the "Windows Explorer/Recent Documents" checkbox."

Not that that helps a lot, but I suspect that you were on the right track the first time ... it's something in the Windows Explorer settings.

No other apps including windows explorer are affected, only the Microsoft Office 2003 apps.

• Moderators

Uncheck Office 2003 in:

1. Cleaner > Applications > Applications > Office 2003

2. Reconfigure Office 2003 to your liking, then close it.

3. Click Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard. This will insure your settings are backed up into My Documents should your settings get wiped out again.