BSOD when running CCleaner

eloise

You're very welcome.  Can't blame you for being hesitant to avoid reinstalling xp.  Lack of a backup computer makes it intimidating. 

Moreover, when you reinstall windows you might have to reinstall the drivers for your hardware.  I have only done that 2 or 3 times.  There was a bewildering selection of drivers available for each hardware component, it was not easy to know which to use.  Still not sure I selected the "best" drivers, just ones that work. 

In any case, you should still make a backup image of your system as it is right now.  There are a couple of good free applications that will do that. I would try Macrium first simply because DennisD, one of the moderators here, knows all about it. There is also DriveImage XML which I think Andavari uses. 

A good AV is important (mentioned above), and maybe a firewall.  If you have been on the 'net for any length of time without one, you can get a checkup from one of the sites listed here:  http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=5

Keep that new CD out of direct sunlight, one of mine was destroyed in short order by sunlight. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

There are a couple of good free applications that will do that. I would try Macrium first simply because DennisD, one of the moderators here, knows all about it. There is also DriveImage XML which I think Andavari uses.

I use Macrium Reflect (an older version) simply because it has always worked and has saved my system several times.

Thank you ISO-later and Andavan for your useful advice.

"Moreover when you reinstall windows you might have to reinstall the drivers for your hardware." I would be way out of my depth, would love to learn with a computer technician beside me though.

The recent BSODs made me realise that it was time to get my act together and prepare for a major incident.

I don't have any of my important documents backed up. Regarding Macrium, which sounds great, where is the back up image of my system stored?

I was without an anti-virus for a short time, but used McAfee Site Advisor before clicking on any unknown links. I did run scans afterwards: Malwarebytes, HitmanPro, McAfee Stinger and TDSS Killer - all clear. I have an anti-virus now and use Windows Firewall.

As far as the driver installations, it is just difficult.  Techs who do it all the time have shortcuts and an existing knowledge framework that helps. 

As far as the backing up stuff, what you do is back up the system to the state it is in right then.  If something goes wrong you can install the backup image and start again.

You can save backups to DVD's, but that is slow and not necessarily cheaper in the long run. 

Some folks save the backups right on their hard drive and use a rescue disk, created by the backup software, to access them.  This will fail if the hard drive fails. 

Best way, imho, is to purchase an external USB hard drive and save the backups there.  Those USB hard drives are getting cheaper all the time, and you don't need a really big one.  I have a 500 gb external USB drive that I have been loading up with free software for years, and it is only about half full.  You could probably get by with a 100 gb drive for 3 or 4 backups.   

Fwiw I have 6 saved backups that amount to about 95 gb of data, and a rescue disk to use to restore them.  If I used the 500 gb external for backups, I could save probably 25 or 30 backups, far more than needed.  You only need 2 or 3.  Make one as soon as win xp is installed and updated.  Make another when you get all your desired software installed and running properly.  Make the third at intervals like 2 weeks (your choice).  You can replace the last one from time to time if you need to free up the space. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

As far as the driver installations, it is just difficult.

I know from having two Dell PC's back to back that theirs isn't difficult because they give a CD with all of them on it, which is also possible via their website to get updated versions.

I'd imagine more PC manufacturers would have something along the lines of Dell such as on their websites where you punch in your ID and then you get a list of compatible drivers tailored specifically for your system.

Thank you very much for your detailed and helpful responses, oh I've been calling you the wrong username, sorry login123.....and I've only just seen your last post Andavan, had to come back to edit my response.

So now I know what I need to do - since posting the original question I've acquired my current os Product Key and an installation CD, neither of which I had before, when I have backed up my system too I'll have peace of mind.

What a great team you are here. To everyone who has helped me, I appreciate you taking the time to do so. I'll have to remind myself that this is a CCleaner Forum otherwise I'll be coming here with ALL my computer problems. ;)

• Moderators
I'll have to remind myself that this is a CCleaner Forum otherwise I'll be coming here with ALL my computer problems

I always feel guilty coming into a topic late, after the other guys have done all the work, but I just want to say eloise that this is a "Community Forum" which means you can come here for anything.

Advice or help with anything computer related, or simply chat about general stuff in the "Lounge" area of the forum.

You don't even have to have a problem. Come here to learn stuff or simply say hello and you'll be more than welcome.

You can even let us know when it's your birthday and you'll get congrats from all corners of the globe in the "Birthday Place" topic. That's cool.  :)

I'll butt out now.  :)

Hey Eloise...I got distracted, meant to pop back in and say that when I had to install drivers, it was for an oddball win xp installation onto hardware that wasn't really intended to run it anyway. 

You might have an easier time of it, especially w/ help from here if you want to try.  I wouldn't be much help, probably just got lucky that it worked at all for me, but somebody here knows how. 

But as you have a custom built computer, I suspect that you would have to identify the hardware components then find the drivers, maybe not as easy as a standard factory built rig, but do-able. 

Oh really, how nice, I thought I might have been overstepping the mark.

It's very good to know that DennisD, thank you.

:)

login123 I have a standard factory built Dell computer. I'm not going to reinstall Windows until there's a major problem, if I knew how to I would do so now, but it's not vital for me to, as my computer is running reasonably ok.

I misunderstood, thought that since a tech had installed your OS it was probably a custom build. 

Being a Dell might make the drivers easier to find. 

Probably the CD for that computer will have ME drivers, but the xp ones should be available from Dell also. 

And you can still make a backup image. 

I think you can use Macrium to save the image right there on your HDD if you don't want purchase an external HDD just yet. 

Not sure of that, never used macrium. 

I could do the google search and check, but I hate to recommend anything that i have not done myself.  Only way to know it works is when it works.  :P

I always go to a computer technician when there are major problems.

"I think you can use Macrium to save the image right there on your HDD if you don't want purchase an external HDD just yet."

I'm not familiar with the term HDD, I'd need to find out.

I'd also like to save my documents on a memory stick, not done that before.

By HDD i meant hard drive.  :)

Meaning that if you have enough unused space you could save backup images on your computer, although it is a bit safer to save them to an external HDD incase your system HDD crashes. 

Saving to a memory stick is a good idea, very easy,

Open windows explorer, find the items you want to save, drag & drop them to your memory stick. 

(Easiest way to open windows explorer is just simultaneously press the windows logo key and the letter E.)

Then double check the memory stick to make sure they got there, and wallah !! they're saved. 

Thank you so much, will follow your instructions. :)

Yes I have plenty of space.

Space is ABSOLUTELY USELESS for backups unless it is the "right sort of space".

Space on an external device should survive any disaster to your main internal drive,

and be available when you need a backup of something that was on the internal drive before the disaster.

Space in a separate partition on the main internal drive should survive any disasters to your main Windows System partition C:\,

and is better than no backup at all,

but if the main drive suffers physical or electrical damage then the future is less rosy.

You can shrink C:\ to release space for creating a backup partition on the main drive.

If I have a backup of C:\ then I am happy to shrink C:\

Without a backup then I find that a bit of a gamble and a "catch 22" situation :rolleyes:

No ransom malware can encrypt/destroy your backups whilst you keep them on an external drive that is disconnected.

Thank you Alan_B.......mmmm so creating a backup to the main internal drive wouldn't be without risk and would be too complicated for me. Clearly saving to an external drive is by far the best option, I was told it would be best earlier.

For now at least, once carried out, I will have my documents backed up onto a memory stick.

:)

Alan is correct, saving backups to an external drive is better. 

If you save backups on the C: partition, and xp fails to boot, you (probably) won't be able to get to them to restore them. 

I say (probably) because the rescue disk might find them even though win xp has failed.  But thats not a risk you have to take. 

You can either create a new partition on the main HDD or, better, get an external drive as suggested above. 

I store backups on a user created partition on the computer's HDD and also on that external USB HDD I mentioned above. 

Here is a screenshot showing the partitions on this computer.  Open it in a new tab to make it larger.

th_1711_scr1_20140513__5_zps42348b00.jpg

On this computer, the C:\ partition is 45 gb, more than enough to run win xp. 

The V:\ partition is about 102 gb, all the space I had left. 

The V:\ partition was created using Acronis Disk Director, but MiniTools Partition wizard will do the same thing and it is free  I have used both with success. You can also use the built in windows disk manager but I never have.  Had no reason to.

What you see in the bottom center of the screenshot are the backup files, with the .tib file extension.  As you can see, they are quite large files, another reason to get an external drive if you can. 

Edit:  I was typing this when you posted your last.  Will just add this.  All this stuff is easier than it sounds or looks.  :)

I have absalootley zero real world professional (as in paid) computer work experience.  Know almost nothing beyond what I have learned here and on a few other internet sites.  Minitools Partition Wizard is just a CD that you boot up to and make your partitions.  Macrium Reflect is free and lots of folks here use it and could help. 

So you could do it yourself, and gain the peace of mind of knowing you don't have to depend on the computer shop.  :)

Thank you for showing me that.

Both Minitools Partition Wizard and Macrium Reflect sound very good.

External hard drive I would prefer.

I probably could do more myself :), but I'm too afraid to take any chances with this computer, it's the only one I have - I would be miserable without it! If something were to go wrong I am not currently in a position to either ask a computer technician to take over or buy a new one.

I have around 200 average sized OpenOffice documents, a few Adobe Acrobat ones and a few MP3s to back up - would you kindly tell me if this is the item and size I need (some bad reviews, but most right hand side are good):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-DataTraveler-Generation-16GB/dp/B003MWJKVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1399999263&sr=1-1&keywords=memory+stick+16gb

Don't know anything about Kingston USB sticks, but the Kingston brand has a good reputation.  I have had good results from Lexar and Verbatim brands. Maybe other members have recommendations. 

To find out how much capacity you need, just right click on the folder containing the files then left click on "Properties" and it will show you how big the folder is . . .if there is more than one folder just add'em up.  I like to keep the total less than 80% of the USB stick capacity. 

Also, once you get used to it, It is easier to look at those folders using windows explorer. 

And for what its worth, nobody will blame you for being a bit intimidated by all that partitioning and backing up business.  :)

"To find out how much capacity you need, just right click on the folder containing the files then left click on "Properties" and it will show you how big the folder is . . .if there is more than one folder just add'em up.  I like to keep the total less than 80% of the USB stick capacity."

Oh I see easy...

689 MB = 0.672852 GB

So less than 1 GB I need but I will of course get larger.

"And for what its worth, nobody will blame you for being a bit intimidated by all that partitioning and backing up business."

You would make a great teacher.......very patient and understanding. :)

Regarding "drag & drop them to your memory stick".......highlight them all in one go I take it?.......and the memory stick should be placed in the USB port pre or post boot or doesn't matter?

Thanks for the kind words, eloise.  

Often the advice we get on the internet assumes that we know things we actually don't.  By the time you get finished googling the meaning of the words, it's bedtime or you have forgotten the original question.  :P  

Main reason, I guess, is the limitations of written communication.  Or the advisor is a volunteer like the Moderators and members here.  Sometimes those guys are really pressed for time.  I counted 10 or 15 spam messages on here one morning before the moderators signed on and deleted them.  And of course they have jobs and real lives to attend to. 

Anyway, if I was in your situation, I would get the largest storage drive I could afford, whether a USB stick or a USB hard drive.  I would download Minitools Partition Wizard and put it on a CD, and the same for win xp sp 3.  Even if you don't intend to use either until later.  CD won't take up much room. 

Also, system restore and a registry backup can be done for free, and can help a lot to put your computer back right. 

"Or the advisor is a volunteer like the Moderators and members here."

That's why I really appreciate all the help and advice I have received here. :)

Okay, thank you, noted everything you've said.

I can't do a System Restore, lost it after I installed SP3 - no matter what date I select I get: 'Restoration incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored to....'....which is another reason why I am apprehensive when making certain changes.

. . .

I can't do a System Restore, lost it after I installed SP3 - no matter what date I select I get: 'Restoration incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored to....'....which is another reason why I am apprehensive when making certain changes.

Simply installing sp3 shouldn't have done that. Thats a problem that needs fixed, but I don't know how . . . don't know what might have actually caused it. 

No I agree installing SP3 shouldn't have done that, but the problem occurred directly afterwards.

Perhaps it was coincidental. I have since read that a particular *anti-virus software can knock out System Restore, don't know whether that is still the case, I would think unlikely to be.

Maybe sfc /scannow could correct that?

Otherwise all I can think of is a reinstallation of Windows.

*which I have used, but can't remember if it was at that time.

. . .

Maybe sfc /scannow could correct that?

Otherwise all I can think of is a reinstallation of Windows.

. . .

Cannot say yes or no with any authority.  What stops me is the idea that it was originally a computer for win me.  Also the need for the drivers specific to dell.  Don't know what will happen without those.  Probably you can install those and also win xp sp3 after scannow or after a reinstall, but I just don't know, never done it.  We have reached the limits of my experience (alas, all too soon :( ). 

Now we're at the point where I know what I would do but have no certainty that it would work for you, so must not say.   

Some of the members here actually work in the "computer fixer" industry, so will probably know more.  

If they do, they'll read this and chime in. 

Your computer is working now, and you have shown much wisdom in taking a cautious approach, so lets wait a bit and see. 

Of course I would rather System Restore be available, but until there's a serious issue I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie.....like you say my computer is working now.

I've heard that in Windows XP, running sfc /scannow solely repopulates the dllcache folder so that it has all of the Windows File Protection (WFP) monitored files - I have no idea if it would work, if System Restore has been modified in some way perhaps it would?
Worth a try I guess, no harm can be done by running that.

About a year and a half ago I did receive remote assistance from a 'Microsoft Answers' computer technician when my computer was blue screening a lot due to a driver. He went to the Dell site, looked up my computer and installed the following:

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 244B