BSOD when running CCleaner

eloise

• Moderators

No I agree installing SP3 shouldn't have done that, but the problem occurred directly afterwards.

Perhaps it was coincidental. I have since read that a particular *anti-virus software can knock out System Restore, don't know whether that is still the case, I would think unlikely to be.

I remember when installing XP SP3 directly from Microsoft either from Microsoft/Windows Update causing my system grief, the same with the offline installer. The only good, stable, and error-free installation of it I ever got was to make a slipstream install CD with SP3 surgically melded into it (requires an original retail install CD although it did work with my OEM Dell install CD), it's easy enough to do using nLite and it can also supposedly be done without any third-party software.

Antivirus software, and even third-party firewall software should in my opinion be completely disabled and/or completely uninstalled before installing OS service packs - one of those things learned from having a very obviously messed up OS afterwards. I remember ZoneAlarm Firewall causing nothing but havoc when installing some Microsoft/Windows Updates.

Thank you for that interesting information Andavan.

I have just bid on and won a brand new genuine (seemingly) XP SP3 installation CD with COA + unused key! Couldn't resist, but should learn how to make a slipstream installation CD with the SP2 one I previously purchased (if possible, it is OEM).

I did install SP3 through Microsoft Updates. Microsoft Updates once installed an outdated version of NET Framework (1.1) on my computer!

The Help and Support Center also stopped working after I installed SP3, I actually tried to uninstall SP3 but couldn't.

In the past I haven't disabled my anti-virus software before an installation.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran sfc /scannow yesterday. It completed without giving me any notifications other than a number of:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache."

I was prompted to click on 'retry'.

It lasted for around 40 minutes then closed.

I thought all had gone well until I looked in Event Viewer today. There are approximately 90 Windows File Protection entries there mostly with the following information:

The system file ........ could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x800b0100 [No signature was present in the subject]. This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

I think the Help and Support Center that I mentioned above was listed as being a bad file with a bad signature......and could not be restored to its original, valid version.

What causes that error? What do I need to do now please? Try again, try in Safe Mode or ? Not confident / knowledgeable enough to carry out anything too complicated.

Update

Just read this:

When you install Service Pack 1, your event viewer may contain many Windows File Protection (WFP) error messages, similar to the following:

The system file c:\winnt\system32\xenroll.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x0000000 \[The operation completed successfully.\] This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

The system file c:\winnt\system32\inetsrv\smtpadm.dll could not be copied into the dll cache. The specific error code is 0x00000002 \[The system cannot find the file specified.\] This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

The system file c:\winnt\system32\gdi32.dll could not be copied into the DLL cache. The specific error code is 0x800b0100 \[No signature was present in the subject.\] This file is necessary to maintain system stability.

This is a problem that was corrected in SP1, but the updated SFC.DLL for the System File Checker (SFC) doesn't function until restart.

You may ignore these errors.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/jsi-tip-2705-windows-2000-sp1-install-generates-windows-file-protection-error-messages

You have correctly read the advice "You may ignore these errors" which was given on a topic specific to Windows 2000,

and which refers to a Service Pack 1 for Windows 2000.

Advice for Win2000 is not safe for your WinXP,

and their service packs are totally different animals.

The only advice I can offer is that Disk Cleanup will CAUSE "Windows File Protection (WFP)" problems on XP,

and require Installation Disks if it is allowed to compress system files.

It happened to me and the only cure for me was to restore a Partition Image backup.

It is bizarre that Microsoft expects users to trust their once in a life-time photos and documents to "Disk Cleanup",

and yet Microsoft does not trust its own utility to avoid corrupting Windows System Files.

Windows XP was pre-installed and I had no Disks, but I started with Acronis backups and then advanced to Macrium,

hence I avoided the need to obtain Installation Disks.

• Moderators

The only advice I can offer is that Disk Cleanup will CAUSE "Windows File Protection (WFP)" problems on XP,

and require Installation Disks if it is allowed to compress system files.

I've personally tamed Disk Cleanup on XP for my system after noticing it causing severe problems in WinXP systems in 2008, and since doing so Disk Cleanup hasn't wreaked any XP systems for me since.

These are .reg files, use at your own risk:

Removal:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Removes Compress old files in Disk Cleanup in Windows XP. Removing this significantly speeds up Disk Cleanup!

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]

; Removes Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup in Windows XP. This should be considered a must do since there's
; a possible bug observed in Disk Cleanup that will delete much more than Temporary Files which
; can cause problems in Windows possibly leading to the reinstallation of Windows. This bug
; surfaced after the Windows Updates from August 2008, or from Windows XP Service Pack 3.

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary Files]

Restore/Undo:

; Restores Compress old files in the registry in Disk Cleanup in Windows XP. This restores the default settings.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files]
@="{B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678}"
"Priority"=dword:0000012c
"StateFlags"=dword:00000000

; Restores Temporary Files in the registry in Disk Cleanup in Windows XP. This restores the default settings.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary Files]
@="{C0E13E61-0CC6-11d1-BBB6-0060978B2AE6}"
"PropertyBag"="{60F6E465-4DEF-11d2-B2D9-00C04F8EEC8C}"
"FileList"="*.*"
"Folder"=hex(2):25,00,54,00,45,00,4d,00,50,00,25,00,00,00
"Flags"=dword:00000041
"LastAccess"=dword:00000007
"StateFlags"=dword:00000000
Edited by Andavari

Thank you for helping me.

"and which refers to a Service Pack 1 for Windows 2000"

Oh not familiar with Windows 2000 and not paying attention to the os was I! Just looked up that error.

At no point did sfc /scannow advise me that it had not successfully repaired files, which is odd. Would it normally?

Well I've not run Disk Cleanup and I'm glad you've warned me what will happen if I do!

Perhaps I should run sfc /scannow again and see if any / many errors show this time?

When I restarted my computer directly afterwards, half way through booting a 'please wait' appeared - perhaps the dll cache was being updated then, I don't normally see that?