Windows 8.1 refuses to install

Winapp2.ini

Title pretty much sums it up. I'm getting stuck at 54% in the store, then it fails and gives me error 0x80070002.

I've tried literally everything I can think of, SFC /scannow, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, a microsoft fixit related to this error, wsreset on the store, deleted the software distribution folder (more than once), unplugged all of my hard drives (PITA!!!) except my ssd the system is located on, unplugged my external harddrive, mic, webcam, unscrewed my integrated wifi thing (disabled in windows anyway) reset file permissions, reset pretty much everything, still a no-go :(

Any additional ideas?

Oh, I've also tried installing 8.1 with the offline installer provided by Microsoft using a KMS key (because it wont let me use my windows 8 key for 8.1 - but you can validate your 8 key once 8.1 is installed...) but it says something went wrong.

Kinda wondering how a 3 month old system could be so badly borked :huh:

My Student MSDN account is pending renewal, so I imagine I can at least get an 8.1 key from there (not that I should need another)

Edited by Winapp2.ini

• Moderators

a big hammer to hit it with of course, but have you tried the nuke from space approach.

starting with a fresh Win8 then doing the 8.1 update...

sounds like, time wise, you are already below the line when comparing duration of finding a solution to just starting afresh.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Winapp2 - Just by chance, is the SSD in question made by Crucial? I've been on their forum recently and quite a few people are having problems with Windows update going belly up after cloning their system to a new M500 SSD. It seems to be a compatibility problem with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers and Crucial's MU03 firmware for the M500 series. Don't know why or how it affects the OS, but some people claim that only the latest version of the Intel drivers should be used.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

Downgrade to XP.  :P

-----------

I was about to say something about you using an SSD possibly causing the issue, then saw Derek891's reply.

If you use anti-virus and/or anti-malware try completely disabling them in Services, and then rebooting. I'd imagine they'd possibly cause some issues with an OS update like that.

I don't have any AV software installed, I've just updated my bios (which broke my bootloader <_< and reset all my custom bios settings like my 9-9-9-24 timings) so once I get that all fixed I'll try disabling secure boot

edit: I've also now disconnected my 2nd and 3rd monitors, still no dice

Currently building a bootable 8.1 USB, will see if I can offline install with that :|

Edit: This is just.. dumb.

you can burn a bootable 8.1 image, which when you boot into it tells you to boot into windows to run the update, which tells me "something went wrong" and gives no information. Completely useless.

I think my drive is GPT. It's an SSD and I have a UEFI BIOS

Gonna lay out my current hardware config (I've stripped it down to just the essentials at this point)

Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz

16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram (2x8GB @ 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24)

Asus Z-87 Expert Motherboard (1150)

AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB

60Gb OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

then my mouse / keyboard / main monitor (probably not useful information but I'll list it anyway in case it suddenly is useful)

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate classic

Razer Lachesis 5600DPI

Asus VG248QE

Going to give secure boot a try now, my patience is seriously running thin on this though.

I also tried uninstalling KB2871389 (the windows 8 pre patch) and reinstalling it but it did not help

Your image shows that partition 0 is invalid,

and the next 4 partitions are not "fixed MBR"

I deduce that DiskPart has either determined that 1 to 4 are removable drives, or are GPT style.

Perhaps you could consider initializing your SSD as an MBR so that DiskPart can make something active. :rolleyes:

Hello Winapp2 - I did some Googling into the wee hours last night, and you are definitely not alone when it comes to this problem. There are two things I came across that you might consider trying. First, do you have data encryption enabled via the drive's firmware? Somehow Opal and Windows Update don't play well together, try disabling it before your next attempt. Second, some people recommend running msconfig, disabling all non-Windows services under the Service tab, rebooting, then running the 8.1 update.  

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

You need to use gpt on a uefi system from what I understand.. But it doesn't matter anymore.. I completely broke my windows install somehow trying to get through this and it no longer boots. I'm currently xcopying my drive and then I'm gonna do a reset.

All this for a Windows update.......

I've wiped and reinstalled, updated to 8.1, updated to 8.1u1 because if it's gonna kill my computer, it's gonna kill it before I've set it all back up again.

Only remaining issue is settling back in and disabling the extremely obnoxious requests for admin permission to do things even though my UAC is off

I've disabled them by forcing UAC off via the registry. This disables metro apps too, not that I really care about them

My final issue is figuring out why 'restarting' my computer, an action that before all this took maybe 10 seconds from desktop to desktop, now takes about 2 minutes (but only 4.4 seconds once the machine actually comes back to life..) It just sort of sits there with nothing initialized for a bit, it's painfully slow and I'm not sure what's changed.

• Moderators

Glad you have it sorted, there is something fundamentally satisfying about the big hammer approach (or is that just me)

What's the admin permission requests you speak of? I have UAC off and don't get hassled by them.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.