Recuva Not Finding Videos

rsolivero

Hi, everyone,

Recuva can't find recent, accidently deleted avi files from a day earlier (5/15/2014).  They were viewed with Windows Media Player, were stored in a folder on my 'c' drive, and came from a covert camera type item that is used in the warehouse of my company.  They were deleted from Media Player with the option to delete from the Library Only or delete from Library and Computer and I accidenyly chose the latter option by mistake.  I have Windows Vista 32bit system.

Please help and thanks so much,

Rick

• Moderators

It is common not to be able to find recently created and then deleted files (if that's what you mean). The reason is that when the files were created they used the first available records in the Master File Table. When they were deleted those records would be the first to be used by other file creation, which happens more than might be thought (even Recuva creates one file when opened). You might be able to find the files with a deep scan, although the file name will probably be lost so you would have to look at file size and creation date.

If the files are large then they are likely to be in several extents, and a deep scan will not recognise more than the first extent. Unfortunately I don't think there's a good chance of recovery.

Augeas,

Thanks so much for your help.  My fault for not paying attention.  I will try a deep scan and who knows?  About how long for a deep scan and can the scan be aborted if need be?  The hard drive has used 150mb out of 300.

Rick

• Moderators

It shouldn't take more than a couple of hours or so, going on the size of a 300 gb disk. Yes, it can be cancelled at any time without risk. I always cancel scans at stage 2 as a matter of course without any apparent effect. I'm not really sure what stage 2 and 3 do.

So, in the future, if I accidently delete a video I should run Recuva immediately before another file is created over the one I want to recover, correct?

Yes and NO

Yes if you file is in a quiet partition under your control,

and it is not be constantly re-written by Windows re-writing itself or Browser profiles and caches being update.

NO if it is on C:\

Then you might be lucky - but Windows is working against you.