Silent install without Yahoo Toolbar

Flappie

Hello,

I love CCleaner :D

But not anymore :mellow:

Why does it also install Yahoo Toolbar. I hate this toolbar!

Does anybody now the command line switch to install CCleaner 1.27 beta WITHOUT the Yahoo Toolbar?

Thank you!

Just uninstall the Yahoo Toolbar. Also, he is probaly going to change this later. Its still in beta. :)

Edit: Oh, you forgot to uncheck the yahoo toolbar option. I see now. :D

IPB Image

I hate the Yahoo toolbar too.

You might say that you can just install it, but I think I shouldnt need to ever have it installed in the first place.

Also even if you uninstall it, maybe it leaves some footprints behind...

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I hate the Yahoo toolbar too.

You might say that you can just install it, but I think I shouldnt need to ever have it installed in the first place.

Also even if you uninstall it, maybe it leaves some footprints behind...

Your right!

The only time C-Cleaner should install anything, is if it is something necessary to get rid of some kind of trash, or to remove other annoying things.

Adding a toolbar doesn't make sense to me, as it just adds more things to get rid of (manually). I thought the object was to make cleanup as automatic as possible. I am sure that the C-Cleaner toolbar is probably the best toolbar ever invented, however, why have more crap if you can have less of it?

Amen?

AMEN!!!

This is not the only free program that installs the Y! toolbar, other - much larger - companies do it as well. Example: Adobe Reader.

:lol:

my insights of this addon as expressed in the beta thread remain, but I couldn't have let it go:

Adobe Reader as an example?!? it's THE most bloated software on earth... :D

Anyway, I recommend Foxit Reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

~1MB of stand-alone (setup version availabe too) "Small, Fast, Clean, and FREE PDF Reader..."

(btw, the "advertizement" seen on the linked page can be checked off, though I can't make it stick between launches)

I guess this is just testing the waters by the authors of CrapCleaner.

Since everybody is so nice about the program, hey why not put in a Yahoo Toolbar and see what happens.

If everything goes well, we may even earn afew extra bucks.

Other programs might be bloatware for instance, Adobe Acrobat Reader. But guys, this is a Crap Cleaner program. A program which is suposed to clean crap not ADD it.

I think some people are over-estimating the loyalty of its fans or users here.

One advise, DON'T play with this thing. Firefox had an experience once with the German version, something with the re-direction to EBAY or something. Correct me if I'm wrong. I still remember how the users react at the time.

I guess this is just testing the waters by the authors of CrapCleaner.

Since everybody is so nice about the program, hey why not put in a Yahoo Toolbar and see what happens.

If everything goes well, we may even earn afew extra bucks.

Other programs might be bloatware for instance, Adobe Acrobat Reader. But guys, this is a Crap Cleaner program. A program which is suposed to clean crap not ADD it.

I think some people are over-estimating the loyalty of its fans or users here.

One advise, DON'T play with this thing. Firefox had an experience once with the German version, something with the re-direction to EBAY or something. Correct me if I'm wrong. I still remember how the users react at the time.

Wow - those are strong words and I tend to agree, but let us not forget who is behind CCleaner - not a wealthy mega-company like Adobe that "plays" with their free product, but a single(?) freeware author that created a lovely tool and maintains it without seeing a dime.

I DO understand the need to see revenue, but I DO agree that including the toolbar in the installation is not the right way.

Either, like I said elsewhere already, have the toolbar as online d/l only when checked at installation (a'la IrfanView & Google) OR: could be on the d/l page itself like Adobe Reader.

I really don't think that there should be several installation packages - it'll be a mess and create a chaos. It is harder to maintain, too.

Optional components that are downloaded at installation & command line parameters (for admins/silent installs) is the right way to go. I think.

I want to thank once again for Mr. G for doing such a great thing for us with providing CCleaner for free.

Whoa! I just had a really nifty idea!

What if under Tools in CCleaner, MrG added an "Add-ons" button? And when you click it, it could contain links to download items such as Yahoo! Toolbar, Google Toolbar, or any other app that CCleaner could integrate itself into. This way, these items would be out of the users way, organized under a single spot, and MrG could get support from dozens of different groups, without having to up the size of CCleaner more than a couple bytes!

This way, MrG gets more money, the few users who want these features have easy access to them, those who don't want them aren't required to download a bloated installer, or wade through multiple versions of CCleaner to find the one they like; EVERYONE IS HAPPY!

What do you guys think?

Here is a screenshot of my idea:

CCleaner-Add-ons.png

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

lokoike dude, that 3rd button got me ROFL! :lol:

I think it's a great idea!

Maybe instead of "Add ons" it could be called "Support CCleaner" and be under "Options", or better - it's own icon. Much like Spybot has a "donate" button, only with your suggestions (which are better than donations - even poor students with no international credit cards can show their support).

What's genious in your idea is that the support from the users won't be decided at installation time (where most people will uncheck anything that smells like crap), but we can always choose one of the options there at any time.

This brings me into a better idea - why not have a dedicated screen inside CCleaner that will advertize different software everytime? It could get updated when connected (but only when user shows that panel), to show new stuff every time.

Wow wow wait - I have the COOLEST idea - have CCleaner show a "baloon" everytime it completes an auto clean - this baloon could read something like "Crap Cleaned! Why won't you consider <link to whatever>" and it can then evaporate after a few seconds. Much like "IEPrivacyKeeper" has a nice option for a baloon that shows when things were cleaned (although they put their own advertizement in the options screens, where they advertize their own other shareware software. IEPK is freeware for that matter. A pretty good one BTW. I especially like the "TakeAway" portable cleaner version, but I'll stop here lest I'll be banned! :D )

You forgot number 4, which was "Give money to Zaphirer so he can buy a decent gaming machine."

If CCleaner actually started making that a part of it, it would be the Swiss Army Knife of freeware applications. Cleans, fixes, and gives you links to free stuff and more junk to clean!

lokoike dude, that 3rd button got me ROFL! :lol:

I think it's a great idea!

Maybe instead of "Add ons" it could be called "Support CCleaner" and be under "Options", or better - it's own icon. Much like Spybot has a "donate" button, only with your suggestions (which are better than donations - even poor students with no international credit cards can show their support).

What's genious in your idea is that the support from the users won't be decided at installation time (where most people will uncheck anything that smells like crap), but we can always choose one of the options there at any time.

This brings me into a better idea - why not have a dedicated screen inside CCleaner that will advertize different software everytime? It could get updated when connected (but only when user shows that panel), to show new stuff every time.

Wow wow wait - I have the COOLEST idea - have CCleaner show a "baloon" everytime it completes an auto clean - this baloon could read something like "Crap Cleaned! Why won't you consider <link to whatever>" and it can then evaporate after a few seconds. Much like "IEPrivacyKeeper" has a nice option for a baloon that shows when things were cleaned (although they put their own advertizement in the options screens, where they advertize their own other shareware software. IEPK is freeware for that matter. A pretty good one BTW. I especially like the "TakeAway" portable cleaner version, but I'll stop here lest I'll be banned! :D )

I like the idea of making CCleaner Support a separate button! Having it done that way would help separate it even more from the other tools so that people wouldn't have to look at those add-ons unless they truly wanted them. Some people (such as myself) don't even want to have to think about junk like toolbars and such, so keeping those separated from the actual product is very important.

I'm afraid I must disagree with you on your other two suggestions: 1. having adds for other apps, and 2. having a bubble that shows adds. Having the adds in the Support CCleaner section would eat up space, assuming that they must be saved as an image on the hard drive. Even if it was saved as a low-quality JPEG, it is still junk, people still don't want it, and it will still probably consume around 50k, about a 10th the size of the installer; that wouldn't be good.

And as far as the bubble goes, that is a pop-up, plain and simple. I can tell you right now that that would annoy EVERY SINGLE CCLEANER USER ON EARTH! Even if it only lasted for 2 seconds, that would really get in the way, and would be reason enough for someone like me to downgrade to a previous version.

And zaphirer, here is a button for you, since you are such a splendid dude:

CCleaner-Add-onszaphireredit.png

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

In response the original question about installing CCleaner without the Yahoo Toolbar..

Download one of the builds without the toolbar, i use the Slim version since i don't want the toolbar, nor do i want other languages.

http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp

Install it like any other NSIS Installer using the /S command line parameter.

Hope that helps

• 1 month later...

There is a Slim build of CCLeaner available (English only, no toolbar).

For those of us who already installed the Full version, you can either go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the toolbar, click on the Options button for Y! Toolbar and uninstall, or use a command-line for scripting such as:

start %ProgramFiles%\Yahoo!\Common\unyt.exe /S

This actually leaves the files behind, but removes the Toolbar from the BHO in IE and from the Add/Remove console.

Hope that helps.