Defraggler in Safe Mode

jc836

Just switched to Defraggler from Smart Defrag.  Did not like all the ad's on the latter.  This is the most powerful defrag I have used thus far.  (MyDefrag is very good but this is better)

Anyway, I ran the program in Normal Mode and found that I still had a number of fragments that would not change status.  Fragmentation was between 1% and 4%, which is usually fine on a 500gb SATA6 drive.  I read the posts here about trying to clean up using the checked files routine and had the same issue that it would not complete.  Ran in Safe Mode with the same result.  Then I ran a full defrag in Safe Mode and the process took its time to complete.  The end result appears to be that the fragmentation is minimal and the machine runs a bit faster overall.

Footnote:

The above was done on a system running Windows 7 Pro SP-1 64bit.

I also ran on my laptop that has Windows 7 Pro 32bit and found that in Safe Mode with the Files checked that the fragmentation went to 0%.

The question is - should one plan to do routine defrags using Safe Mode all the time rather than Normal Mode? 

Footnote:

The above was done on a system running Windows 7 Pro SP-1 64bit.

I also ran on my laptop that has Windows 7 Pro 32bit and found that in Safe Mode with the Files checked that the fragmentation went to 0%.

The question is - should one plan to do routine defrags using Safe Mode all the time rather than Normal Mode? 

Hello jc836 - I think you should be all right doing your defrags in normal mode now that you have it sorted out. Of course, you can't be certain until you actually try it. Keep in mind that 0% fragmentation is but a fleeting moment where Windows is concerned, regardless of which defrag utility you use. Personally, I use the quick defrag option every other day for about 3 to 4 weeks and then run the full defrag, which usually completes in 15-30 minutes. Also, run a boot time defrag every so often, it gets the some of the system files that can't be accessed while Windows is running.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Derek891:

Thanks for the reply.

I indeed have the issue sorted.  I am using the 32 bit version on my 64 bit machine and all is well in Normal mode.  The laptop will be run that way as it is 32bit.  I agree that a Boot Time Defrag would also be a good thing every so often.  I tend to do more "quic" defrags, but will see if doing full ones more often than once every few weeks is the right thng for my situation.

I posted a Bug report on the Forum about what happens with the 64bit version in my case.  Hope that gets sorted.

Update:

After many runs with the 32bit version, I have finally seen a huge improvement in speed of Defraggler.  This is likely due to it rearranging files and fragments after a different program had been used for a period of time.  The 64 bit version appears to function as intended now as well.  I have been doing a "Files Analyzeds" defrag and have a result of 0%.  I have also performed a regular defrag afterward with 0% on completion - just as it should be.  There are 2 System files that remain but are isolated from everything else.

I would like to ask if one should actually see the "Boot Time Defrag" being run or is it hidden.  I do have the standard rotating circle that runs a bit long on startup.  These tests were done in Normal Mode using Defraggler 64bit.

I really like the program as it does offer a lot of information and performance.

I would like to ask if one should actually see the "Boot Time Defrag" being run or is it hidden.

Boot Time Defrag services only the files locked by the OS before the OS is fully loaded. http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/technical-information/boot-time-defrag

If your PagingFile is small or empty the defrag duration is only a few seconds. There's no action to view.

. . . look at my Bug report about Defraggler and what I have found. . . .

[bug report] . . . http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=40509&do=findComment&comment=246299

. . . The abort message appears when attempting to defrag files. The specific files are both labeled "System Volume Information" and are nearly 9Gigs total. . . .

Yes, an abort alert appears cos System Volume Information is locked by Windows from defragging.

That SVI fragmentation is included in the total frag count unless you exclude the restore point file . . . tickall_4.jpg

Kroozer:

The 2 items are checked.  This is after the overlay reinstall of the 64 bit version over the 323.  Must say that I did not even look at the Advanced Settings prior to you showing it to me.  Thanks again for your guidance.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, if you set your page file to be the same size always (set min and max to the same) then once you defrag it using boot defrag, it won't fragment again. This is usually the windows system file that's large enough and critical enough to matter.