CCleaner v1.27 Beta 2 - Out later today

MrG

• Admin

We've decided to release a beta 2 version, just for a few days until the final version is out.

This version has updated translations for the secure deletions in most languages, (a few are still pending.)

Plus optimizations to the secure deletion algorithms.

It also has optional IE integration, through a custom version of the Yahoo toolbar.

toolbar1.png

Once out of beta, hopefully later this week, I'll create some often requested different versions of the installer.

One without the toolbar for system admins and fans of minimilist apps, and a couple of others.

Keep an eye on the beta page http://www.ccleaner.com/beta for the download.

:D

MrG

Excellent posts!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* If you make one for IE, is there any chance for one for Firefox or Opera? Those are the 3 main browsers now. Don't worry about the rest. If you cover those, you hit probably 98% of the market or more.

* Is there a way to opt out during install for those who don't need the toolbar(s)? (Thanks Tarun 4 the excellent idea)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Any chance of maybe a version that runs off cd with an option to kill all running processes, with that option checked by default EXCEPT CCleaner + all cleaning options selected (Spyware infested machines slowing cleaning to a crawl)? It may sound weird, but I have seen some machines so infected that even though they have a fast machine + 1 gig of mem or more, having so many spywares loaded in mem really brings their system (& cleaning) to a grind. Having this option would really speed things up.

* Any way to add BHO removal with the tool section where you have add/remove & startup? It only affects IE, but a way to reset IE to default search + disable / remove Browser Helper Objects would be nice. BHO are located in a registry key

*BHOs can do absolutely ANYTHING to your system, & they are often installed without your knowledge. There is a LOT of abuse by vendors, as I see Internet Explorer causing the main problems I encounter on computers. Users of Firefox or Opera just do NOT seem to get quite as many viruses / spywares installed. (See: http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm)

*Internet Explorer reads the registry, looks up keys stored in the

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Browser Helper Objects registry hive and loads all the objects whose CLSID is stored there upon Browser (or new Browser Window) launch.

* This is the ONLY place that BHO data is stored from what I read, so it should be relatively simple to implement. Firefox & Opera do not have this problem. This would clean even MORE junk off a PC &

make me one very happy person.

* Also, C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files tends to get corrupted over time, causing errors on the pc when using apps like yahoo. Any chance to add this oft overlooked dir to the list of cleaned directories?

Many thanks MR. G!!! --- You da' best!!!

Being new to this whole chat/forum thing, I wanted to say that this program is great and I donated using PayPal. However, I had Beta 1 installed before the donation was made and after the donation was approved version 1.26 was downloaded automatically. My recommendation would be to download the newest version once the qualifying donation was made. This suggestion probably needs to go somewhere else, but I am making it easy for me.

Thank you, DOS :blink:

Yahoo Toolbar.. lol ..

Do not like those..

Didn't pay attention and let it install..

Had to uninstall after.. .. and just reinstalled again (just to check) .. without Toolbar checked...

Didn't get installed (after i unchecked it) :)

Also .. what is this all about.. i guess it's OK .. but didn't happen in the past..

I am running newest AntiVir now .. for Windows ME.. - v. 7.0 .. with newest (today's update)

on the CC install(s) .. both times i got this at the end from Antivir:

"A virus or unwanted program was found!

What should happen with the file?

C:\Windows\TEMP\...\KILLPROCDLL.DLL

The file was blocked according to the default settings

Is the Trojan horse TR/Drop.Purity.BU.1

and Options:

Repair

Move to quarantine

Delete

Rename

Don't take further actions"

Not a biggie of course.. But NEVER happened in the past (was running AntiVir 6.0 though i think) .. SO figured to let you know..

Any comments .. Thanks

Whatever AntiVir did or found - CC is running OK though.. after i pressed "Finish" button (at the end of CC install) ..and clicked on CC icon after.. build .255 of CC fired up no Problem :)

Hey MrG. I installed Beta2, and everything seems good. The only odd thing is that the list Programs to Uninstall doesn't match my Add/Remove Programs in my control panel. About 5 things are missing on CC's list, but nothing is crashing or doing anything crazy.

Thanks!!

:D

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi,

I was the first here to complain about the inclusion of the toolbar (made CCleaner setup from 535kb to 1275kb...), and I'm afraid we're all beginning to sound a little bit ungrateful... :unsure:

I first want to say thank you for Mr. G for making such a great program and provide it for free - I'm sure it's very hard to keep such a project alive with no revenue.

However, I have a suggestion - why not make the toolbar d/l to be online?

IrfanView did such a thing with the Google addon - their installer is still a mere 885kb, and only if the user chooses to install the addon, the installation package automatically downloads an online package and installs it without further user intervention. B)

BTW - IrfanView made several evolutions with these addons - v3.97 included AOL stuff, while v3.98 (current) has this Google thingy.

Perhaps you consider such method please?

Thank you very much for your time and efforts! :)

EDIT: Regarding version announcement: The above online method could spare the need to maintain different installer versions (offline people wouldn't be much of a revenue anyway). For admins, simply make a quiet install switch that doesn't install the toolbar.

• Moderators

I agree, remove the toolbar. In my opinion it puts a blackeye of suspicion upon CCleaner's credibility even if the toolbar doesn't contain any adware/spyware and it bloats the setup file.

Of course these opinions may be invalid if for instance Yahoo! is compensating MrG in anyway, which could keep CCleaner as freeware.

Did anybody who's complaining here actually read MrG's announcement?

Once out of beta, hopefully later this week, I'll create some often requested different versions of the installer.

One without the toolbar for system admins and fans of minimilist apps, and a couple of others.

Thank you! I have been using Beta 1 and now Beta 2 with no issues. I LOVE CCleaner, and I have spread the word to all of my firends and colleagues. I am a systems admin, and I use CCleaner nearly everyday to clean someone's system - it is one of the best software apps I have ever used in 12 years in IT. I have contributed twice with PayPal and I would not be caugtht dead without Cleaner.

Now, that said, for the love of the Lord, please loose the toolbar :) its just an invitation for malware and other things best left off the PC for the average user. Just my two cents :)

Hello!

I also have the same problem with installation.

My antivirusprogram(Antivir) says that CCleaner has virus.

Christian

Yahoo Toolbar.. lol ..

Do not like those..

Didn't pay attention and let it install..

Had to uninstall after.. .. and just reinstalled again (just to check) .. without Toolbar checked...

Didn't get installed (after i unchecked it) :)

Also .. what is this all about.. i guess it's OK .. but didn't happen in the past..

I am running newest AntiVir now .. for Windows ME.. - v. 7.0 .. with newest (today's update)

on the CC install(s) .. both times i got this at the end from Antivir:

"A virus or unwanted program was found!

What should happen with the file?

C:\Windows\TEMP\...\KILLPROCDLL.DLL

The file was blocked according to the default settings

Is the Trojan horse TR/Drop.Purity.BU.1

and Options:

Repair

Move to quarantine

Delete

Rename

Don't take further actions"

Not a biggie of course.. But NEVER happened in the past (was running AntiVir 6.0 though i think) .. SO figured to let you know..

Any comments .. Thanks

Whatever AntiVir did or found - CC is running OK though.. after i pressed "Finish" button (at the end of CC install) ..and clicked on CC icon after.. build .255 of CC fired up no Problem :)

I think if and when the other version come out and MrG gives users a choice to download Ccleaner with or without the toolbar, i think the download stats i.e. no one downloading the version with the toolbar will show MrG it was a bad idea. Saying that if he is getting ? from yahoo for it i suppose it helps keep Cleaner free, if on the other hand it was his idea and yahoo are not giving him ? for the inclusion i think its a bad idea.