Uninstalling Conduit SearchProtect deletes NTLDR making Windows XP Unbootable

hazelnut

• Moderators

Something a bit  serious for XP users is the removal of Conduit SearchProtect.

If it is removed via add/remove programs it makes the machine unbootable.

Info can be found here including a safe way to uninstall this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522327/uninstalling-conduit-searchprotect-deletes-ntldr-making-windows-xp-unbootable/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hiren's Boot Disk repairs NTLDR Missing.

Trouble is not many people know about Hirens boot disc or even how to use it. It's a must in any ones toolbox really.

The problem with Conduit SearchProtect at the moment is the badly coded uninstall routine. As to the programs legality, if people agree to its install it cannot be counted as malicious.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

By the way...

As Windows Vista and newer versions do not contain any files in the C:\ folder that are required to start Windows, Windows is able to start normally.

This part of the article is WRONG. Win7 has got bootmgr and grldr both at the root folder. And I think Vista has got the same.

• Moderators

are we getting confused with a system, primary, boot partition (which every PC has, and where bootmgr and bootnxt are found, except XP) and a system reserved partition (which is not created if Windows was self installed, and usually only created when using a factory restore feature)

let's see how right I am... :)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

"system reserved partition" is a pain that you need to endure if you want Bitlocker to lock you out of your computer.

"system reserved partition" is a pain - your BIOS boots into this, and this SHOULD redirect control to Windows installation in another partition,

NOT ALWAYS THE CORRECT PARTITION.

I have an original multi-headed Windows on a HDD,

and subsequently an additional hydra-headed Windows on an SSD which became my default system drive.

One day I powered up and Windows was not quite how I remembered it -

I found the "system reserved partition" had transferred control to the wrong drive :o:angry: :angry:

I think a full Windows 7 installation will by default create "system reserved partition" if it is a version (e.g. Ultimate) that includes BitLocker capability,

and you have to override installation defaults to avoid the aggravation of an unwanted "system reserved partition".

I fully intend to undo the aggravation on my system,

but not yet - I am deterred by the thought that I will REALLY learn how to do this by the PAIN of my own mistakes :(

Thanks for the heads up, Hazelnut.

eL_P, looks like Bleeping is using the same removal tools you recommended earlier on this forum, if I remember that right? 

:)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.