XP-Forever, Help me fight "change"

ironworker

• Moderators

A curiosity for you guys.

Every time I try out a new Linux distro, on loading it up I find my monitor screen offset about quarter of an inch to the right.

Some time back I discovered that switching the screen refresh rate from 60hz to 75hz cured that, and this is usually very easy to do in most distros using the "Display" settings gui.

Sadly a couple of distros, Zorin being one of them, don't have an easy way to do this. It has to be done via a "terminal" window.

The curiosity aspect of this post is I'm wondering if you guys with XP systems are running at the default XP refresh rate of 60hz? I know login has ran (or still runs) Linux on an XP machine and from previous topics we've had I also know he doesn't get this screen offset anomaly.

Strangely enough, I also remember that I came across just one distro (the only one) that didn't offset my screen, but did offset Logins. Weird.

But I can't remember which one it was.

Anyways, are you guys who are running Linux on an XP machine running at 60hz. And do any of you get this screen offset when your Linux is running from a CD or USB?

Seeing as this topic was probably started by a spammer, off-topic is good. :)

Every time I try out a new Linux distro, on loading it up I find my monitor screen offset about quarter of an inch to the right.

Seeing as this topic was probably started by a spammer, off-topic is good. :)

Attach these to your monitor for a perfect solution for your problem

http://regalcastors.com/

You are right, off-topic is super good :lol:

• Moderators

I've never had a screen offset trying out any Linux distros. I do have my monitor in XP configured to run at 75 Hertz, although I wouldn't think that Windows setting would stick and be default in Linux without fiddling with the display settings in a Linux distro.

• Moderators

Attach these to your monitor for a perfect solution for your problem

http://regalcastors.com/

You are right, off-topic is super good :lol:

They might just do the job Alan. Have to add them to my seat as well.  :P

I've never had a screen offset trying out any Linux distros. I do have my monitor in XP configured to run at 75 Hertz, although I wouldn't think that Windows setting would stick and be default in Linux without fiddling with the display settings in a Linux distro.

That's why you've never hit this issue. I found a while ago that switching to 75hz also works to set the screen straight.

I actually did a bit of googling to see if there were any negatives to running my XP in 70hz (monitor handles up tp 75), and it's possible that one might come across the occasional full screen program which may have issues, but other than that OK, and I've no idea if those statements were accurate.

Running at 70hz would negate the issue.

@ Dennis...I remember the screen issue but don't remember which distro it was either.  :wacko:

One of the Puppy Linux varieties possibly?

Fwiw, Zorin shows up OK, but a tiny bit right of center.  Still can see everything OK. 

I am running this xp computer thru a TV set nowadays.  Just use a VGA cable. 

The little TV was only two thirds the cost of a monitor, has input ports for more than one computer, and a better picture. 

Can't get TV on it tho, :lol: no cable going to it. 

No offset issues so far. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.