Control of Startup Services Question

krit86lr

Hi Strangers!  :)

So here's the deal.  I installed 'Disable Startup' to block programs from reinstalling themselves in my startup on every update which has made me very happy.  So now what about their services?  I have tried disabling the services and the Task Manager triggers, but they magically keep restarting!  It is going to drive me mad!  LOL

Andavari is this something that your fancy Host file could manage/control?  (sorry if that's a stupid question!)

Glad you're all still here!  :-D

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Sorry, clearly I have been gone too long.

- Windows Pro Media 8.1

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Hi krit86lr. 

Have no idea for an answer, just wanted to say hi, glad you are sitll here too.  :)

Have you checked out Black Viper's site?  He has good information about services configuration.

http://www.blackviper.com/

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Andavari is this something that your fancy Host file could manage/control?  (sorry if that's a stupid question!)

For actual system installed services I'd go with the link login123 posted, you can set services to Manual or Disable. I always prefer setting them to Manual just in case they're critical for something, whereas Disable could make things fail which are tied to those services.

As for the HOSTS file that blocks the auto-annoying loading media, this list is now very old but here it is:

WMP_HOSTS.txt

For actual system installed services I'd go with the link login123 posted, you can set services to Manual or Disable. I always prefer setting them to Manual just in case they're critical for something, whereas Disable could make things fail which are tied to those services.

As for the HOSTS file that blocks the auto-annoying loading media, this list is now very old but here it is:

attachicon.gifWMP_HOSTS.txt

Thanks! HOST files are my current goal to learn and use to my advantage and examples are the easiest way for me to learn.

I absolutely agree with leaving system services to manual with the exception of 1 or 2 remote access services.  Do you remember the thread where we all agreed to the manual setting?  It got pretty heated then, Mike (Dial-a-fix creator) stepped in and set everyone straight.  Good times, LOL.

My issues are with non-system services (I should have made that clear).  Programs think that once they are installed they should be able to do whatever they want and it really ticks me off.

• Moderators

Hostsman:

I used to be a hardy soul and manage it manually, but HostMan makes it very easy.

HostsMan crashes allot, trips over itself sometimes updating HOSTS files, etc! That HOSTS manager program Nergal has mentioned before called HostsXpert (freeware, portable) has never crashed on me so far.

Andavari you made me laugh.  That is usually the case with me as well, but these unfortunately have backed me into a corner.  I'm not sure how much you know about Windows 8, but the recovery options are worse than Vista.  No discs (unless you order and pay) just the recovery console.  So I have imaging software and hard drive software keeping an eye on things.

Normally I would want this software running all of the time but I am trying to set up all of my email accounts in Outlook and I'm on day 3 and not 1/2 way done.  Heavy downloading, so of course my first recourse was to terminate absolutely all unnecessary processes.  Much to my suprise somehow in Windows 8 disabling isn't always effective.  It's got to be something in the registry I think, but my run key isn't the culprit.

HostsMan crashes allot, trips over itself sometimes updating HOSTS files, etc! That HOSTS manager program Nergal has mentioned before called HostsXpert (freeware, portable) has never crashed on me so far.

Yep, I bookmarked HostsXpert earlier in another thread.  It was recommened by Nigel or some guys name that started with an N.  He might be a moderator too.

And hi to you too Dennis!  :)  I'm so happy that the same people are still here.  :)

I have to say in all the time I've used it (and we're talking years), it's never tripped up or failed to scan for updates and download without a hitch.

It's been reliable and faultless for me.

I've had the same experience with HostsMan as Dennis - i.e. no problems at all.

"No discs ...  just the recovery console.  So I have imaging software and hard drive software ... "

I'll start a new thread in software. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

@Krit86:  Are you sure you REALLY disabled those Services ? Because I know that some Services (E.g. MS Security Essentials) have set permissions to an elevated level and that prevents the Service from being disabled when the user has not enough rights.

Other possibilities:

- Perhaps some programs have added info to the registry that makes Windows automatically re-install those programs & Services.

- Programs also could have added shortcuts to one or more of the "Start Up" folders. And those folders are buried rather deep in Windows.

- Your problem also suggests that those programs have placed installation software somewhere on your harddisk. E.g., I know I can remove Apple's Quicktime from my system but that the QT installation software won't be removed at the same time.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

krit have you made a system image using the Windows builtin imager?

It's easy and it works.

Yep.  But what if I need to do a clean install?  What if my HDD fails?

@Krit86:  Are you sure you REALLY disabled those Services ? Because I know that some Services (E.g. MS Security Essentials) have set permissions to an elevated level and that prevents the Service from being disabled when the user has not enough rights.

Other possibilities:

- Perhaps some programs have added info to the registry that makes Windows automatically re-install those programs & Services.

- Programs also could have added shortcuts to one or more of the "Start Up" folders. And those folders are buried rather deep in Windows.

- Your problem also suggests that those programs have placed installation software somewhere on your harddisk. E.g., I know I can remove Apple's Quicktime from my system but that the QT installation software won't be removed at the same time.

Some services do not allow configuration changes, but some do and somehow are resetting themselves.

Other possibilities:

- Perhaps some programs have added info to the registry that makes Windows automatically re-install those programs & Services.  (Possibly, I hadn't considered that but I will investigate)

• 2 weeks later...

@Krit86lr:

- Try REVO uninstaller. When the program removes a program then it also removes info from the registry. Even the free version is good !!!

- Never tried Piriform's Speccy ? It can tell you more about your graphic card (beyond it's from Intel)

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!