Recuva hung at stage 1 during deep scan

cdubinsky

Hello all,

I am running Recuva on a 300GB USB 2.0 external hard drive that was accidentally reformatted.  

It got to 76% during stage one in about 6 hours, and has been sitting there for the past 36 hours and the time remaining keeps increasing (now at 19 hours).

I searched to look for solutions, but nothing I found was really a solution or worked for me.

The program seems to be responding and the light on the drive is flashing so I figured it was still working, but 36 hours seems a bit extreme.

Any help would be great as this drive had everything from my wife's and my college careers, as well as the past year and a half of our working careers.

Thanks,

Cary

• Moderators

Sometimes Recuva does seem to get stuck when scanning, for reasons I don't know. You could cancel the scan now and you should still be presented with the 76% of files found which can be recovered to another disk.

After that you could run a Recuva normal scan with Scan for Non-Deleted Files checked (in Advanced Mode). This might give you more easily handled results - as long as the format was a quick one and disk activity after the format has been minimal.

Sometimes Recuva does seem to get stuck when scanning, for reasons I don't know. You could cancel the scan now and you should still be presented with the 76% of files found which can be recovered to another disk.

After that you could run a Recuva normal scan with Scan for Non-Deleted Files checked (in Advanced Mode). This might give you more easily handled results - as long as the format was a quick one and disk activity after the format has been minimal.

Thanks Augeas, I will try that when I get home tonight.  The format was quick and nothing was written to the drive after it was done.