Update Glitch in Win XP

login123

Just sorted out a problem with win xp auto updates. 

What was happening was that the windows update site would analyze for a long time, maybe an hour, then offer updates.

Then they would download and apparently install, but at the end they showed failure. 

Also, all the earlier ones showed as failures, but they had been ok before. 

Anybody know why that status might have changed? 

No idea what caused it, probably started because I stopped BITS with services.msc. 

Was having a problem getting Powershadow to start on the dual boot computer xp HDD, thought that might help. 

Didn't. 

Never let a little thing like ignorance slow you down, eh? 

Read a bunch about how to start and stop services, use the sc command, register a dll, etc. 

Had done just enough of that in the dim past to want to avoid it. 

Also, microsoft offers quite a few "Fixit" links for that issue, but I didn't want to commit to those until absolutely necessary. 

In the end, started with the simple fix first, used system restore and that worked. 

Just seemed easier to put it all back than to fix it a bit at a time. 

Points to the need for a good system backup utility. 

Am using Acronis for win xp on the older box, it won't work on the newer dual booter. 

Presently looking at Image for Windows (not free) for an imager, and AX64 (also not free  :( ) for an instant rollback software. 

Can't use Macrium free for an imager because I want to be able to restore to different hardware, but Macrium paid will do that, I read. 

Any thoughts, recommendations? 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I've seen that update glitch in multiple XP systems and then mine also got it, luckily Automatic Updates via the desktop isn't as insanely slow. Also mine is included in the list of those XP systems that can't install .NET Framework security updates anymore, but I'll be damned if I format to fix it. Hey maybe Microsoft bugged it up on purpose to get some people to upgrade.

As for a drive imaging software have you tried DriveImage XML.

• Moderators

I assume in a little over 100 days that all your XP update problems will go away :P

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

This post here gives full info on what has happened and the simple thing that needs to be done to get your updates.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2315886&postcount=50

So basically turn off auto updates, do your cumulative IE update (download links are in post) turn updates back on and the rest will go in okay.

I can verify it worked for me on XP using IE8.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hazelnut, you're the best. Thank you, thank you. 

Not even google knew about that.  :D   I spent a lot of time looking. 

It is a perfect description of what happened here on 2 xp boxes, including the spike in CPU use by svchost.exe

. . . 50% on the older box, 25% on the newer one.

I could observe that the spike was caused by wuauclt.exe but couldn't remedy it.

Finally just let it grind through the update process, now appears to be fixed. 

I've saved the installer for ie8 and the cumulative update, to save time if a reinstall is needed. 

And FWIW Powershadow now starts normally for the first time on the dual boot box.

in a little over 100 days that all your XP update problems will go away

MTA, in about 100 days the problem for me will likely get more difficult.  I won't abandon xp until it just won't even start. 

Some are suggesting that there are malware writers waiting in the wings with exploits, for when microsoft no longer issues patches for xp.  It's plausible.  Xp is the OS for 20-30% of users, including some big companies that have data worth stealing. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

I won't abandon xp until it just won't even start. 

Some are suggesting that there are malware writers waiting in the wings with exploits, for when microsoft no longer issues patches for xp.

I'm not abandoning it either, my machine will simply have to melt into a blob of metal and plastic before I do and if any component reasonably priced goes kaput such as a graphics card, etc., I'll just buy a new component off a site like NewEgg, etc.

As for no more security patches making the OS vulnerable people are too quick to forget all Windows OSes are vulnerable at all times. At least there won't be anymore bugs inflicted upon the system because of an update. I've had more issues, frustration, and hours wasted from monthly updates than any malware whatsoever. The myriad of monthly patches only fix something for a very short time, it gets old rather quickly when I can't even trust the updates always fearing they'll actually break something forcing me to use a disk image to undo their damage.

I don't foresee any problems for myself once Microsoft ceases support because I'll still have a good anti-virus (and some av companies will support old OSes long after Microsoft doesn't), a good anti-malware, and Windows Firewall enabled.

Edited by Andavari

Yep, me too for all that. 

Some professional people must move on to a supported OS, for reasons of liability. 

Those are artificial reasons, imho, but they might have real monetary consequences if, say a doctor or lawyer got their data stolen.  Around here, the hackers can only get old versions of software that I have squirrelled away.  :P

Pardon me for being nosey, but what do you use for an image backup software...just in case?

• Moderators

they might have real monetary consequences if, say a doctor or lawyer got their data stolen. 

LOL, my dentist office shows us X-RAYS on their WinXP systems which are in every patient room.

Pardon me for being nosey, but what do you use for an image backup software...just in case?

Macrium Reflect Free Edition, the older v4.2.3775 because I haven't liked newer versions. I may more seriously try out DriveImage XML rather than just playing with it for a short time such as actually restoring from an image to see how it does but I just haven't got around to it yet.

This post here gives full info on what has happened and the simple thing that needs to be done to get your updates.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2315886&postcount=50

So basically turn off auto updates, do your cumulative IE update (download links are in post) turn updates back on and the rest will go in okay.

I can verify it worked for me on XP using IE8.

Thanks for the tip.  Probably saved me some headaches.  I got 1 manually updated, now on to the 2nd.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

There's a part 2 to the update glitch (at least it was on my WinXP system).

I found out today after removing all versions of .NET Framework using NET Framework Cleanup Tool (note that it's a last resort tool) after getting fed up with over one years worth of .NET Framework updates that wouldn't install via Automatic Updates/Microsoft Updates. The NET Framework Cleanup Tool removes I'd say about 99% of .NET Framework, only leaving a very small amount of legwork of deleting some leftover folders on the disk, and then some registry data that is best first dealt with using multiple registry cleaners because it's too much to deal with manually, and then some very brief manual registry cleaning to remove about a dozen or so other keys.

I wasn't going to reinstall any version of .NET Framework until I remembered I can't go without Paint.NET, so I only reinstalled .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and left all other versions alone. This time Automatic Updates/Microsoft Updates installed all update patches without a problem, and I also noticed how Automatic Updates/Microsoft Updates displayed the list of updates at a normal acceptable speed.

Edited by Andavari

additional news here:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/12/exponential-algorithm-making-windows-xp-miserable-could-be-fixed/

Next to last paragraph has a link to some info from Doug Neal. 

Maybe we'll get a service pack 4?  Or maybe win the lottery.    :P

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, man I forgot about the .Net Framework issues.  For some reason MS just wasn't releasing all of release in the auto updates.  I still have my .Net zip folder with 'all' of the releases to fix the .net framework glitches.  I couldn't even get them all off of Microsoft's website I had to get some from old OEM discs and pc's but they installed perfectly every time.

Andavari you said that you could install 3.5 SP1 without prior install which is good info to have, thanks.  I guess that explains why I keep noticing CCleaner wipe out all of the older .net versions after that update but couldn't be bothered to test it in the event all went south, lol.  That will save people a lot of hassle in the future.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I just have to say with this Win8 crazy no backup disc crap, all I've done is serious heavy testing of backup and cloning software before feeling comfortable enough to move forward and use the PC and this is what I have settled on.  It is sooo easy, and provides Preboot OS support.  However, I am using a paid version of ToDo Backup.  If you google 'discount todo backup' you'll find a Digital Rivers site selling it for 20-50% off.

Link to all of the free software: http://www.easeus.com/download/free-software.html

1. EaseUS Partition Master Free Edition (Love it and no need to purchase the paid version, it's for enterprise distributions)

2. EaseUS Todo Backup Free (I use the paid version, $29 and Love it)

3. EaseUS Partition Recovery (Works perfectly, but limits you to 2GB of recovery)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Andavari you said that you could install 3.5 SP1 without prior install which is good info to have, thanks.  I guess that explains why I keep noticing CCleaner wipe out all of the older .net versions after that update but couldn't be bothered to test it in the event all went south, lol.  That will save people a lot of hassle in the future.

It will install on a system without any .NET Framework version installed, works in XP and I've used the NET Framework Cleanup Tool on multiple XP systems that would always fail to install any .NET Framework Updates from Microsoft Updates/Automatic Updates. Seems like nuking it off the system completely and starting fresh on those systems with the update failure is the only way to go, with an added plus being software installed that relies upon it doesn't have to be removed.

One thing to keep in mind is if installing 3.5 SP1 is that it will put either in full or in part previous versions on the computer when applying update patches, but it won't force any newer version on the system.

• Moderators

Better exceptionally late than never! Then again come the last update people can just turn Automatic Updates off.

I do however wonder if Microsoft plans on still releasing root certificates via Microsoft Update.

This is indeed very good news. I manually turned off Windows Update on my XP machine. Only enabled it once every month.

They still need WU to function well in XP for the MS Security Essentials updates until april 2015. It also suggests that someone who hasn't updated XP for a very long while will still be able to install the last updates after april of this year.

I still think issueing a new Service Pack (#4) is actually the best solution. It would be the best sign MS still cares for XP users and then MS can remove all previous XP updates from their website. If not, then I certainly would hope MS would continue to provide older XP updates for XP users. Or is MS going to remove those updates as well ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

It also suggests that someone who hasn't updated XP for a very long while will still be able to install the last updates after april of this year.

Back when Win98 was long dead and I was still using it before getting XP in 2003 the Windows Updates site still allowed downloading patches. Don't know if they'll do that with XP though, although don't forget they do publish those burnable DVD ISO images that someone can burn onto a DVD for safe keeping.

Edit:

If they release an SP4 I'll just make another slipstreamed XP install DVD for safe keeping.

Edited by Andavari

• Moderators

As time passes (probably 2016 or a little later) the update webpage will be taken down (as after XP and server 2003 it is defunct) but you'll be able to still download from kb pages is my guess (iirc from trying to build a NT 4.0 box in 2009).

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I updated my XP system (with 1 MB of RAM) yesterday and it seems (!!!) the bug in WU was fixed. Previously it could take as much as 1 hour to get the new updates installed. But now it only took WU some 10 minutes to search my system for the configuration set up. But total memory usage (of 1 MB of total memory) of "wuauclt.exe" (~ 140 MB max) & one "Svchost.exe" (~ 330 MB max) process was still (relatively) high. And WU still uses LOTS of memory.( sometimes over 60%)

My personal opinion is that the source for this horrible behaviour also was "hidden" in the update software located in the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" subfolder. So, it seems MS has fixed the problem or have found a "workaround" for this strange behaviour. I think we'll see a new Windows Update in february.

We'll have to see how WU behaves next month.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!