Degraggler does not defraggle

Kas

I use Defraggler very often and basically like it, but it does not completely defraggle.

Every single time I use it, a great list of files are left still fragmented. I then have to defrag these files separately.

If Defraggler is intended to defrag a computer, then why does it leave a whole list of files still fragmented that have to be done YET again ?

I may as well use Auslogics and get the job done in one single operation and may I add, Auslogics is a superb program.

Your answer is awaited with enthusiasm. It is simply Defraggler vs. Auslogics.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - "I will  either find a way or make one"

Kas, it sounds to me as if you've already made up your mind, so I won't waste my time trying to talk you out of it. If you truly feel that Auslogics is a superior product, then by all means, use it. I can only offer this advice. Trying to defragment a drive with the Windows operating system installed is like trying to rake leaves on a windy day. You work your way from one end of the yard to the other, and five minutes later, you can turn around and start the process all over again. I've given up on chasing down every single leaf, and I've given up trying to maintain a perfectly defragmented drive. In my opinion it is the very definition of futility and time better spent doing other things. I probably defragment my drive every 3 to 4 weeks, and I do not get upset if it is not a perfect result. It is a characteristic of the Windows operating system that has always been with us and is probably not going away anytime soon. Relax a little and learn to live with it.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

Let me tell you that Auslogics "defrag and optimize" algorithm is bugged (although it's fast). It tends to shuffle around a lot of already defragmented files.

And back on topic: what are those "not defragged files" in Defraggler? Maybe they are OS locked files. Can you post a screenshot?

Let me tell you that Auslogics "defrag and optimize" algorithm is bugged (although it's fast). It tends to shuffle around a lot of already defragmented files.

And back on topic: what are those "not defragged files" in Defraggler? Maybe they are OS locked files. Can you post a screenshot?

This is just a small example, I do not defrag at this level normally. The list shown is just the first half. Auslogics would have shown none of these files still fragged.

defrag2_zpsd56c5d5d.jpg

Defrag1_zpsd24bdbc0.jpg

A corresponding defrag using Auslogics is as follows - Files are not left fragged.

Auslogics1_zpsff5c7393.jpg

Auslogics2_zps7d1ef86b.jpg

incavi.avm is a data file for AVG antivirus. It cannot be defragmented because it is probably in use by AVG.

toolbar.log sounds suspicious (maybe it's from AVG's toolbar). Please tell me you didn't installed the toolbar, did you?

If so, do yourself a favour and check your pc with Xplode's AdwCleaner.

Try defragging again after cleaning/rebooting.

I would not pay more attention to Defraggler's report. Your drive has got little fragmentation to begin with (and not to be concerned at all).

PS - The Auslogics' file list appear totally different from Defraggler's one. I wonder why...

incavi.avm is a data file for AVG antivirus. It cannot be defragmented because it is probably in use by AVG.

toolbar.log sounds suspicious (maybe it's from AVG's toolbar). Please tell me you didn't installed the toolbar, did you?

If so, do yourself a favour and check your pc with Xplode's AdwCleaner.

Try defragging again after cleaning/rebooting.

I would not pay more attention to Defraggler's report. Your drive has got little fragmentation to begin with (and not to be concerned at all).

PS - The Auslogics' file list appear totally different from Defraggler's one. I wonder why...

I accept that several files cannot be defragged. My point is that Defraggler always lists a lot of files after defragging that need defragging separately. If it can defrag these files after the main defrag, then they should have been defragged in the first place and not left over. I suspect the previous posters "blowing leaves" analogy is correct. Sounds logical and perfectly acceptable to me.

The Auslogics list is of course different. It is given just to show that Auslogics does not leave a big file residue after defrag which needs defragging yet again. Note the "None" under fragmentation.

I explained in my OP that these examples were only "examples" and not a case of need for defragging. I do not make a habit of defragging just a few files.

AVG toolbar ? Of course I have not installed that rubbish. If a file is listed for the AVG toobar, then it is residue from years ago or a redundant piece of rubbish clinging on to the main AVG program.

I do not care if such a file is there or not for as I have explained clearly, my concern is Defraggler not defragging files in the main operation that have to be defragged separately.

No big deal. Defraggler is perfectly satisfactory as is Auslogics and regardless of my irritation of having to defrag files after the main defrag, I use Defraggler more than I do Auslogics.

The Auslogics list is of course different. It is given just to show that Auslogics does not leave a big file residue after defrag which needs defragging yet again. Note the "None" under fragmentation.

Sorry, but that proves nothing as yet.

Have you followed up on what remains of incavi.avm by running Defraggler after Auslogics.

After a long career developing software I have no trust in computers,

and in retirement I now amuse myself by testing applications and finding their bugs.

I suggest that after Auslogics has shown you that there are no fragments in incavi.avm,

you then launch Defraggler and simply click the SEARCH Tab,

and then check the boxes "Include non-fragmented files" and "Filename contains",

and enter the name incavi.avm and then click the search button.

If this finds incavi.avm and reports 1 fragment,

and if the file is still 130,145 MB or larger,

then Auslogics has done what you believe.

Regards

Alan

@ Alan.

I hope I followed your instructions properly.

I defragged using Auslogics and followed it immediately by defragging with Defraggler.

I clicked the Search, did what you said and the file results came up.Apologies for the screen shots taking up space, but it is the best way of showing events.

How does this look ?

Kas

1. Auslogics before defrag.

Auslogstart_zpsb049d516.jpg

2. Auslogics after defrag.

Auslogend_zpsc4f1fd80.jpg

3. Defraggler search results.

AuslogDefragglerchecksearch_zps79200981.jpg

Thanks, you did good.

I now accept that Auslogics really defragged the file and did not simply excluded it because it was protected and part of your AVG anti-virus.

A most unworthy thought occurs to me about utilities that modify anti-virus files

" Auslogics rushes in where Angels (Defraggler) fears to tread " :o

Regards

Alan

Thanks, you did good.

Regards

Alan

All came out OK then Alan. Hey ! Tha not goo`in tuh yooz Owslogics now ar`tuh ?

As one Lanky lad to another, I gave it a bit of cloggy.

Off now for a dose of Fish, Chips, Mushy Peas and a Black & Tan.

Kas