Advice On Defragging

Warlock

Hi Andavari, just having some wild, crazy thoughts on how to accomplish this without serious damage.  Maybe someone else that has done it can jump in.  Can I put you on the list to get this to use as a boat anchor?  Got a nasty winter storm here.  Thanks and take care.  Warlock

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. (Emily Dickinson-1830-1886)

• Moderators

Keep in mind most maintenance in Safe Mode comes with the penalty of it being much slower, such as malware/virus scanning in particular. Although I have no experience defragmenting in Safe Mode since I've never tried it.

actually, in my experience, maintenance in safe mode is usually the opposite - that is  - faster, as all the usual background stuff isn't there.

there are same differences, for example, AVG safe mode scan used to be text-based version rather than the GUI one but I haven't done an AVG safe mode scan for ages so that may have changed.

did a defrag in safe mode about 2 weeks ago (XP I think it was) with no probs, nice and fast (well, as fast as normal mode).

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Hi mta, thanks for your input. I have XP also.  Think I'll give it a whirl as I have to do something about the slowness. Takes forever to bring something up and hopefully this will improve performance but before defragging I need to take some load off of an aging hard drive. Both Windows and Defraggler say it's time for an enema.  Still can't find someone who will back up pro bono and that's a must before anything serious is started i.e. a re-install of the OS.  A good neighbor gave me a 30G flash drive but I need a larger one as I have a 70G. They have been out of the computer business and were unable to offer any instructions but thoughtfulness counts.  There's just too much critical data in this thing between my files I've saved and the operating files.  If you run into a Computer For Dummies please let me know right away. Temps are doing good and after running for a while things seem to work better; strange.  If you change your mind about making a house call we can get you to into snow removal.  We got ten to twelve inches the past few days.  Thanks again old friend and take care.  Will keep you posted on whether a defeat or victory.  Warlock

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. (Emily Dickinson-1830-1886)

Hi Everyone,

Need some help asap.  Finally got the courage screwed up to work on this nagging issue yesterday 12-11-2013.  Could not bring up Windows Defrag for some reason so had to use Defraggler.  Brought up Safe Mode tapping on F8 like a woodpecker but could not display all readings on Speccy to monitor temps but displayed hard drive during the process.  Ran Analyze and found a mess 27% fragmented and would take all day.  So I poured two bottles of Fleet and started the process.  Worked better part of the day until I was wore out so I aborted hopefully without messing something up with 41% accomplished, remaining time 13 hours, leaving 684 fragmented files (6.1%), 8289 total fragments, 18% fragmented yet to do.  I can't spend so much time at this still with the desire to do a thorough cleaning and need help desperately in the hopes of improving performance on this machine. I have Windows XP Professional, 34bit, SP3, Firefox v26.0

I've tried to comprehend the Excluded portion of Defraggler to no avail. I need to reduce the load on an aging hard drive.  I have a few shortcuts on my desktop and underneath are numerous files of just plain data, I'm a packrat. There are files where I've saved and identical yellow ones.  I need to know how to drop these large chunks into Exclude but unsure of how to enter it correctly. Do I simply type in the file address completely and correctly and where can I obtain the name.  A simple, step by step method would not only be mandatory but greatly appreciated.  I want to be careful and not exclude something critical and I'm certain I'm not listing all that need to be entered or not entered i.e. applications and the like. I hope this explains my dilemma adequately and if not please contact me for clarification. I'm confident the pros on here can solve this.  Thanks in advance and take care. Yours always, hoping for another victory.

Warlock 

• Moderators

Could not bring up Windows Defrag

Common reason is because it has detected disk errors and will refuse to defrag.

On XP you can fix those via Start > Run, using this:

chkdsk /f c:

When asked to have it run the next time the system restarts click the Y button on your keyboard for yes, and then restart your computer.

Hi Warlock. 

Do you have the disks to reinstall win xp onto that computer if necessary? 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

When you installed Defraggler did you select ''Replace Windows Disk Defragmenter'' ?

(You can find out by  looking in Settings > Options > Advanced) 

If you did, then Windows defragger will not open, Defraggler will open instead.

Untick this setting in Defraggler if ticked, close Defraggler and try again to open Windows defragger.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi Login, yes I have the Windows XP disk, can see it from I'm at.  Were you thinking in terms of an uninstall and reinstall with your question?  If so, before I can even think about doing that I still have to solve the problem of not having the money, external flash and most of all knowledge to accomplish this.  Thanks for your ongoing concern and let me know your thoughts.  Warlock

Hi Hazel, to answer your question first of all I did no setups of any kind to include Defraggler.  All that's in this machine was done by a former friend.  I think when I reported inability to access Windows Defraggler the other day was either a result of a hiccup from a really messed up machine or perhaps these little fingers.  Before coming on I tried to bring up Windows Defrag and it came right up. Yes, the block you referred to was checked so I did discover that and apparently I created a problem that didn't exist as both are working.

Are you leaning in the direction that I use Windows Defrag as opposed to Defraggler?  I am about half way through the process as I explained in my post yesterday 12-12-2013 and I saw where on 11-09-2013 Derek cautioned about switching from one to another. If I continue with Defraggler I would appreciate your best advice under the circumstances and wonder about my question on assistance with the Exclusion feature to cut down on hard drive stress and my stress for future defragging. Besides, watching Defraggler is a break from t.v. LOL Seriously,  I must admit I'm starting to get a bit confused and would be grateful for guidance.  Thanks so much for continuing concern on my behalf.  Warlock

• Moderators

Warlock to get your fragmentation down to a level you feel able to cope with, just boot into safe mode and use Windows defragger.

When finished you can then use Defraggler without worrying about exclusions..

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi Login, yes I have the Windows XP disk . . . Thanks for your ongoing concern and let me know your thoughts.  Warlock

You're welcome, Warlock. 

What I was thinking about is this. 

The main problems you have described are heat, slow operation, stopping,  script notices. 

The few times I have seen these symptoms together the hard drive was on the verge of failure. 

This was for friends & family computers only.

One time we just decided to back up the data and let it run until it quit. 

When it did, we reinstalled the OS to a new HDD from the disks. 

A failing HDD may not even be your situation, but just in case you should get your important data copied. 

If the drive does fail, data recovery will cost quite a lot. 

Once you get the data backed up, you can try a reinstall to that computer, costs only your time. 

If it doesn't help then you start thinking about a new HDD or a new computer. 

If you know anybody that runs a fixit shop, they may very well have "gently used" hard drives that wouldn't cost too much.   

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Sometimes the key scheduleddefrag is corrupted (like after installing some other defragmenting software). Look for it in the registry, delete it and reboot. You will have to check the schedule in Windows Defrag later.

He has WinXP, it doesn't schedule defragmenting.

• Moderators

Warlock,

I know money, time and skill may be in short supply but this is your data, YOUR DATA.

Years worth of irreplaceable photos, memories, financials, addresses, correspondence, and who knows what else.

I have this dread that the longer this draws out, the greater chance of failure - and heartache.

Have you considered selling body fluids or maybe a kidney :huh:

Hi Everyone,

Dear Hazel, after pondering all the great feedback from you good folks I think your latest suggestion is the most plausible.  I  have gone bonkers trying to comprehend the Exclude instructions on Defraggler.  Believe I'll go this route and hopefully put this to rest.  Thanks so much.

Dear MTA,

You're right on track with what you said about the preservation of precious data but a dilemma still exists.  You really got to my funnybone with your suggestions for obtaining funding for a back up.  I looked into visiting the local bloodbank and also selling my body for scientific research and organ donation but the entities told me they don't pay a dime and I'm too old and ugly. Can you believe it, not a dime to save someone's life or advance.  However, there might be one avenue to consider.  Many of my acquaintances have told me that I'm so full of you know what and if I can find a market for that I can buy the finest computer system on earth and even pay people to run it for me.  My troubles would be OVAH! LOL Thanks so much to you also.

You folks are all tops so take care and I'll stay in touch with the greatest folks on earth. Yours always,

Warlock

• Moderators

I looked into visiting the local bloodbank and also selling my body for scientific research and organ donation but the entities told me they don't pay a dime and I'm too old and ugly.

Hilarious line there!  :lol: After reading your post don't count out doing a comedy routine. ;)

Hi Andavari,

Glad you got a hoot.  While I've never considered being a commodian I try to insert some humor ever now and then.  Have defused some serious situations with that approach.  If I can elicit a grin, smile or laugh and make someone's day a little better then that makes me feel good. On what follows, wasn't sure where to post this so I'll put this in the trusty hands of Moderators.

O.K., this is the Captain, all hands on deck for ship's status.  I owe all you folks a report of the defragging effort a few days ago.  Windows Defrag ran its course and got the hard drive clean as a whistle.  Confirmed that by analyzing with Defraggler and got the same results.  Thanks so much to all of you for sticking with me during this laborious task.  I hope I didn't wear everyone out with this but how do you all feel about working on the backup problem.  MTA's post on 12-14-2013 continues to haunt me and I have the feeling that a death sentence is near.

Of course I would ideally cherish backing everything up but just don't have the overall means as I stated earlier.  Could we improvise, adapt, overcome somehow?  Bearing in mind others have done everything concerning this machine; everything.  Tried to study up to no avail.  I have only a Smartdisk Firelite 30GB Mod USBFL30P given to me.  It;s empty but needs formatting, HUH? I have a 16GB Flash Drive Memory Stick on which a backup was done around May, 2013 also stored in a folder on the hard drive but have no idea what is on it as the wizard just set it up and left town.  Have three 1GB Sticks same condition.  Do not have pictures, music, etc. so only data saved from articles, how to do's.  If I could somehow save externally, preferring the drag and drop method what I would like, perhaps I could at least salvage some data before we go belly up.  System operating files such as drivers, applications, who knows.

Would you good folks think about this and share your thoughts on how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear?  If you would let me know what information you need to evaluate please drop me a line.  I have Windows XP Professional 32 bit, SP3, Firefox v26.0  I have a 75GB Hard Drive © with about 29GB used and a 5GB (Q) Drive with about 3.5GB used and no idea what this is for certain, something about recovery from one of the wizards.  Mission: Impossible  Thanks again so much, all take care.

Warlock 

• Moderators

keeping this really simple, and for your backup devices available, what you say Warlock about drag and drop, for you, may just be the right way to go.

after all, at this stage, the main goal is to simply backup your data.

the usual folders to backup are; docs, pics, music, videos, addresses, emails, favorites, desktop.

then there are extra locations that some software uses; like financial/accounting packages, or DVD rippers etc.

sadly, although I can guide you, it's going to be up to you to know "what can I not live without?" and back that up.

in theory the process for each of your USB devices will be to insert it, find what you want to copy to it and drag it there.

for the unformatted USB drive, insert it, go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management, in the Volume column, you should be able to right click it, and select Format.  Use the default settings.

with the aim of not scaring you too much this time, I have purposely kept this post 'trimmed down' but please let me know if something needs explaining further.

and GOOD LUCK - boldly go into the darkness - it's not that scary !!!

Hello Warlock

I'm glad to hear that your ordeal with defragmenting is over. Also glad the big hammer did not come into play during the process. From what you've described, you already have the hardware necessary to do a backup. One of the 1GB USB sticks and the 30GB Smartdisk Firelight will be all you need. If you're assuming that you need a 75GB device to match the capacity of your hard drive, you do not. As a matter of fact, if you use Macrium Reflect to create a backup image, your 29GB of data will be compressed by about 50 percent in the process. Using Macrium is easy once you get the hang of it. 

The link to the download is here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/  Once you have the installer, run it to install Macrium. Then you will use Macrium to create two things: a bootable USB stick that is used to run the WinPE rescue program, and an image of your system partitions on the Smartdisk Firelight. 

Here are the instructions for creating WinPE on the USB stick: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50165.aspx (Nice picture here :) )

And here are the instructions to create the system image: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50074.aspx (Even more nice pictures :)  :)  :) )

(Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, make some popcorn, and watch the video :)  :)  :)  :)  :))

When this is done, you can use the USB stick to boot and run the WinPE rescue program, then that is used access the Smartdisk and reinstall your system partitions: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50079.aspx Note: Read the second set of instructions, it applies to restoring system images, not data images. 

Edit: Did not realize mta already posted; my typing skills lie somewhere between dead slow and reverse. :(

Edit: Better idea, first backup your personal files to the 16GB USB stick, then use Macrium as I've described above. Now your personal data will exist in three places: the current hard drive, the USB stick, and the image on the Smartdisk Firelight. And your operating system can be restored to a new hard drive if necessary.

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

This isn't particularly directed at you Derek, but your above post prompts me to mention this.

Can I suggest to all the members that we shouldn't be recommending people use downloads which involve CNET's own installer software.

This downloader is adware, and I would guess that the other moderators may agree that this download location should really be banned from this forum. JMHO at this moment.

The Download.com Installer securely delivers software from Download.com's servers to your computer. During this process, the Download.com Installer may offer other free applications provided by our partners. All offers are optional: You are not required to install any additional applications to receive the software you selected.

http://download.cnet.com/2701-20_4-1446.html

There's only one purpose to these types of installers, and it isn't for the benefit of the user. There are always alternative downloads to be found.

An alternative download for Macrium Free is here ...

http://www.filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/

Again, please don't take offence Derek as there isn't anything official about using this location, but I think it's probably time there was.

:)

Dennis - I apologize to you and the other members of the forum. I've edited my post and changed the link to Filehippo's website. The only thing I can say in my defense is that when you go to the Paramount Software website looking for a direct link to download the free version, you are redirected to the CNET site. I was wrong to assume that Paramount would put their faith in CNET to do the right thing.   

Start every day with a smile and get it over with. - W.C. Fields

• Moderators

Absolutely no need to apologise Derek, but like other suspect download practices mentioned in other topics, there isn't really any need for them except to subject the unwary to having advertising (or worse) rammed down their throats or downloaded onto their computers.

Best we steer the unwary away from these locations.

And back on topic, like you I would recommend having a go at making a Macrium Image of that System Drive onto the 30GB Firelight USB drive.

With probably the default amount of compression it should fit as Macrium doesn't include the Page File or Hibernation File (if used) in it's Image. If it wouldn't fit for whatever reason then there's absolutely no damage done in trying. Imaging doesn't touch the source drive other than reading, and the USB drive wouldn't come to any harm.

As a System backup for any disaster scenario it's worth doing, and also Macrium Images can easily be mounted as drives to explore and retrieve any files ever needing to be replaced.

• Moderators

I'd say give Macrium Reflect a go too since some of us use it on here and can help instruct its usage. That and it's blazing fast backup speed and tight compression are impressive.

One thing for certain as Dennis has mentioned before in other topics is to always test the boot process of Macrium Reflect to insure it works as intended, because if doesn't work that would be a bad situation.

• Moderators

I'll second that Andavari, and some time ago I took pics of the entire process (up to the point just before the actual restore), of booting your computer with the Macrium Rescue CD, and amazingly all the images are still there ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=25993&do=findComment&comment=158002

They might be useful in allaying any fears folk may have as to what to expect when doing an actual restore.

• Moderators

A Macrium Restore couldn't be any easier even for complete beginners who've never used it before. One thing is always have it verify the image when given the option, yes that verify will add a chunk of time but its a major integrity feature to never pass on.